Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 234 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 105 of 148

Thread: Storm damage

  1. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    86,825

    Default Re: Storm damage

    could you post a pic of the hatch that is siliconed shut?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  2. #72
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Norman, with your tone towards me in this thread, you are obviously not one of my friends here. Politeness counts, y'know. At every turn, whether to me or others, you have been argumentative and insist that your problem is so special that none of us can help. Well, I can, but you are being so pissy that my generosity has just about reached its end. Go fix your boat as you will, I'm done with it.
    I understand; you don't really know the particular boat, and you don't have a solution to the hose problem. If you did, and if you had a generous spirit, you'd have suggested a solution, just like I'm perfectly happy to help or advise others, when I'm asked for the sake of whatever expertise I have.

    That's OK.

    I was completely polite, until your post #49, where you went straight forward and called me a 'butcher':

    It means that you either have to get the right tools and expertise, or get someone with them to do it for you. Or, you can pester other non-GRP hull technicians on an internet forum for alternate methods and eventually select one to butcher your boat with.

    That was NOT called for.
    I sincerely asked for advice, and was completely polite towards you until then. You might have said that cutting access ports in the stern was, in your opinion, perhaps a bit extreme, and suggested alternatives. If you thought I was 'pestering' you, you needn't have ever replied... unless it was somehow important to you, to emphasize that YOU are a PROFESSIONAL.

    Don't bother to reply. I no longer want your input. I'll seek out others with a less obnoxious attitude.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  3. #73
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    could you post a pic of the hatch that is siliconed shut?


    It's not a hatch... it's the molded insert that serves to hold two LPG tanks (you can see the regulator, in the middle). The insert is secured with silicone... but the gas supply line, and the vent hose fitting (can't be seen, in this photo) are mounted low, and there's no slack in those hoses, so even if I could break the silicone bond, I wouldn't be able to lift out the insert far enough to detach them.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  4. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    86,825

    Default Re: Storm damage

    does jeanneau off that entire insert assembly as a replacement part?

    if you can't get it out without cutting it up, and they offer a replacement part at a reasonable price, i'd cut it up

    beyond that even with hoses in the way you should be able to get a socket, swivel, and extension on the blind side of that piece of hardware

    if not there are various obstruction wrenches and crowsfoot wrenches that you may have to use
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  5. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    does jeanneau off that entire insert assembly as a replacement part?

    if you can't get it out without cutting it up, and they offer a replacement part at a reasonable price, i'd cut it up
    That's an interesting idea, actually.. the best one suggested so far! Chances are that the same part has been used in other models, and/or the mold for making one still exists. I have no idea what they would charge for one... maybe $500 sounds possible. I could cut it up, and that would give me the ability to extend both the gas supply hose, and the vent hose, before installing the new one.

    Of course, it's a rather drastic approach... but I'll keep it in mind.

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    beyond that even with hoses in the way you should be able to get a socket, swivel, and extension on the blind side of that piece of hardware
    if not there are various obstruction wrenches and crowsfoot wrenches that you may have to use
    Hard to say if it would help. The vent hose is probably secured by a hose clamp (the fitting looks, on the inside of the LPG insert, like it's a standard plastic thru-hull), but I don't know if I could raise the insert enough to even get my arm in.... I'd be reaching down, blind, about 18 inches. The gas supply line might be slightly less of a problem; it comes through the LPG insert via an oversize fitting, that (I think) is large enough to pass the fitting on the end of the hose.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  6. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    14,058

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Oh, quit whining, Norman; it doesn't look good on you. I do know how your boat is assembled - it isn't a trade secret. The fittings in the locker are standard industry items and not proprietary to your boat's builder. You will find most boats of similar calibre use the same or similar hardware. There is a method for disassembly that does not require destruction of the hull . I did not call you a butcher, I said that what you were planning would butcher your boat. There is a difference. You are merely looking for insult wherever you can find it.

    Good luck with your repair. I hope you can find someone less obnoxious than me to help with your education in ship's systems.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  7. #77
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    I hope you can find someone less obnoxious than me to help...
    That shouldn't be all that difficult.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  8. #78
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Nebraska
    Posts
    19,579

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Those Canadians sure are an abrasive bunch, eh?

    MMD is trying - in his Canadian way - to be helpful, but.... suspect he's herding cats! It's tough, talking to folks who haven't done this particular bit, when it's old hat to you.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

  9. #79
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,331

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Well that was entertaining! I was particularly surprised to see an Englishman take the American attitude-sue the bastards, it was their cleat that broke! However it might be worth investigating why the cleat broke, in order to be able to work constructively with the marina management on a solution if there is a systemic problem. Maybe the fittings are not suitable for boats over a certain length/tonnage. Maybe they have been stressed or corroded over time. Are the holding bolts stainless and suffering crevice corrosion? Should they be conducting an audit throughout the marina?

    Nice to be able to get a prefabbed replacement rail for a reasonable price. Hopefully the same with the gas locker insert. Then you can happily butcher that and be done

    Is there any risk associated with salt water getting into your glass layup? If so a temporary gel coat might be in order until the repair can be properly seen to. I don't know anything about fibreglass. And not much about wood for that matter.

    Oh, no need to miss the season over this. You can sail with a bent quarter rail. Presumably.
    Last edited by Phil Y; 02-22-2018 at 04:54 PM.

  10. #80
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Southern Maine
    Posts
    20,126

    Default Re: Storm damage

    I'm treading in here carefully. I would like to point out that it's generally accepted that cleats are not to be trusted in a blow. In future you should connect to dock hardware, or through the docks or to the piles. Cleats go on after the dock is assembled and are usually just lag screwed in.

  11. #81

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Norman is there any way you can get at the "far" end of the hoses for your insert and thus pull the hoses with the insert, tie a bit of string on each hose so you can pull the hoses back when you reinstall the insert.

  12. #82
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,143

    Default

    Norman, can you not just remove the hoses and fitting?

    Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

  13. #83
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,331

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    I'm treading in here carefully. I would like to point out that it's generally accepted that cleats are not to be trusted in a blow. In future you should connect to dock hardware, or through the docks or to the piles. Cleats go on after the dock is assembled and are usually just lag screwed in.
    I'd be assuming this is a floating Marina berth, and there'd be nothing much else but the cleats to tie to.

  14. #84
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Well that was entertaining! I was particularly surprised to see an Englishman take the American attitude-sue the bastards, it was their cleat that broke! However it might be worth investigating why the cleat broke, in order to be able to work constructively with the marina management on a solution if there is a systemic problem. Maybe the fittings are not suitable for boats over a certain length/tonnage. Maybe they have been stressed or corroded over time. Are the holding bolts stainless and suffering crevice corrosion? Should they be conducting an audit throughout the marina?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl
    I'm treading in here carefully. I would like to point out that it's generally accepted that cleats are not to be trusted in a blow. In future you should connect to dock hardware, or through the docks or to the piles. Cleats go on after the dock is assembled and are usually just lag screwed in.
    There's really not much that a customer in our marina can do a great deal about the dock situation; I have a superbly positioned slip, and would hate to lose it. Yes, the cleats have been suspect for years, but I've been there over 20 years, through a number of severe storms, and had never heard of a cleat tearing out until this particular storm. The docks are about 20 years old, floting docks made of concrete, and are generally quite nice... but the cleats are thru-bolted to timbers along the edge that are themselves thru-bolted into the concrete... and the timbers may be showing their age. The marina manager tells me that the docks will be repaired.... hopefully, better this time.

    Regarding Hwyl's comment: you're right, my bow and stern lines were doubled up with extra strong storm lines (3/4 inch nylon) to the cleats, but I should have tied at least the stern line, which was where the most damage was, to the piling, instead. I guess I was lulled into a false sense of complacency; we've never had conditions like that. It will be a lesson learned.

    It's no compensation, of course, but two other boats sank in their slips, during this storm... and several were torn out of their slips and ended up beached, just north of the marina. In other words, it could have been worse.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith
    Norman is there any way you can get at the "far" end of the hoses for your insert and thus pull the hoses with the insert, tie a bit of string on each hose so you can pull the hoses back when you reinstall the insert.
    With substantial difficulty, I could reach the far end of the vent hose.... it would require removing the stern locker, which (having done it before) is pretty hard to do. I don't see a way of dealing with the LPG gas line, though. I'm waiting for responses from a few folks, before I do anything.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  15. #85
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
    Posts
    6,685

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Someone installed those LPG lines and that insert with the lack of slack in the lines. I expect you need to disconnect the LPG line somewhere inside the boat and remove the molded tank insert as per the instructions mmd gave you. You will probably have to wiggle your way into the bowels of the stern upside down with a flashlight in your teeth and your left leg wrapped around your neck to find and disconnect the line.

    If it were me, I'd break the silicone seal first, just in case you are able to find enough room to get where you need to go. The picture of the LPG fittings are not clear enough to see if they can be disassembled inside the tank insert.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.
    .

  16. #86
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    East Quogue,NY
    Posts
    15,127

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Break the bead and pull out the tub. Cut the hoses. Install new hoses when the pushpit repair is done.
    Break eggs; Make omelet.

    Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

  17. #87
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    5,129

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Good luck getting your boat fixed. Is it possible to sail with it like this? I can't really tell from the pictures.

    My marina disallowed cleats on the docks. They are fixed, not floating. I put my dock lines around pilings and also around the support posts for the docks. So there is no chance of them coming out. We had a bad blow several years ago that pulled a piling over to 45 degrees.
    Will

  18. #88
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    471

    Default Re: Storm damage

    If it were me I`d cut an access hole in the molded insert without messing with the hose or vent, fix the other bits as nessesary and then patch-up the hole. (the gasbottles will hide the patch if it looks a bit untidy).

    Hope that hopes!

    Greetings from sunny but COLD Germany,

    Alan.

    PS: I have great respect for mmd and Norman but this "P.. ing" contest seems to put you both in a rather childish light! just ignore each other for a while!!

  19. #89
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    Someone installed those LPG lines and that insert with the lack of slack in the lines.
    Sure... they did it BEFORE the deck mold was mated to the hull mold... standard assembly technique on a production boat.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    I expect you need to disconnect the LPG line somewhere inside the boat and remove the molded tank insert as per the instructions mmd gave you. You will probably have to wiggle your way into the bowels of the stern upside down with a flashlight in your teeth and your left leg wrapped around your neck to find and disconnect the line.
    After some further examination, and a little additional thought, I understand why there's no slack, in the vent hose; it must make a smooth downward run to the transom thru-hull, because if there was any slack, a sagging portion could form, and then any leaking gas could collect, and become hazardous.

    You can pretty much forget, however, about any 'wiggling into the bowels of the stern', in this boat. I've examined THAT aspect, and you'll have to trust me when I say that it would be impossible to reach the starboard side of the stern.... the stern platform passageway, the steering quadrant, and a big bulkhead right down the middle make that completely impossible.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve McMahon View Post
    If it were me, I'd break the silicone seal first, just in case you are able to find enough room to get where you need to go. The picture of the LPG fittings are not clear enough to see if they can be disassembled inside the tank insert.
    The vent hose fitting inside the LPG insert cannot be disassembled.... picture it like a simple plastic thru-hull fitting, but with the part normally on the outside of the boat, on the inside, instead. The LPG gas line shows a bit more promise.... it comes through an oversized compression fitting, into the LPG insert, and I think that it could be pushed through. I would have to think of a way to get it back into the insert, however, when the insert was re-installed.

    Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3
    Good luck getting your boat fixed. Is it possible to sail with it like this? I can't really tell from the pictures.


    Well, yeah.... although I'm not constitutionally capable of doing it. I suppose I have a fetish about things like this, but I'd feel pretty awful, sailing it with a mangled rail. I'm determined to get this fixed. Besides, I can't re-install my davits until it IS fixed.

    Quote Originally Posted by willmarsh3
    My marina disallowed cleats on the docks. They are fixed, not floating. I put my dock lines around pilings and also around the support posts for the docks. So there is no chance of them coming out. We had a bad blow several years ago that pulled a piling over to 45 degrees.
    Unfortunately, there aren't many choices, when at a marina with floating docks. The docks themselves are really nice.... a wide main thoroughfare, and generously wide fingers. The problem, I believe is simply that the timbers that edge the dock, which hold the cleats, probably needed replacement for the last few years... they don't last forever. I thought I did an excellent job, the day before the storm, of doubling up on all lines, and I keep a set of 'storm lines' (3/4" nylon 3-strand) for the purpose. The one mistake I made was in not adding a line to the one available piling at the stern... it was the stern cleat failure which did all the damage.

    Quote Originally Posted by canoe
    If it were me I`d cut an access hole in the molded insert without messing with the hose or vent, fix the other bits as necessary and then patch-up the hole. (the gasbottles will hide the patch if it looks a bit untidy).
    Well, that was my original idea, as an alternative... but mmd wasn't the only one who thought it was a terrible idea... I got the same advice from someone else, that I respect highly. Besides, I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't help, because there's an engine compartment ventilation hose (4") in the way... I'd have to cut the hole very low, and probably wouldn't be able to reach the fastenings.

    I'm now guessing that I'll need to remove the stern locker... a big job... because that would give me access to the far end of the vent hose, at the thru-hull fitting. I still don't have a solution for the gas line, but that one could be extended with an adaptor, since it's on the far side of the regulator and the solenoid valve.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  20. #90
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Sure... they did it BEFORE the deck mold was mated to the hull mold... standard assembly technique on a production boat.
    Norman, I don't understand. Thinking about the order of construction, the stern rail had to be put on before the LPG tank tub. Which had to be installed before the hose fittings. But this could not all be done before the deck was installed, could it have been? Installing stern rails would seem to be one of the last things done, not prior to the actual deck itself.

    There has to be a way of replacing those hoses. So there has to be a way of removing them now.

  21. #91
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Norman, I don't understand. Thinking about the order of construction, the stern rail had to be put on before the LPG tank tub. Which had to be installed before the hose fittings. But this could not all be done before the deck was installed, could it have been? Installing stern rails would seem to be one of the last things done, not prior to the actual deck itself.
    I would have to disagree, peb. This is the fourth production sailboat I've owned over the last 30 years (3 Catalinas, before this Jeanneau), and I've been to the Catalina factory while my boat was right at the production stage where the deck molding is mated to the hull molding. It was pretty surprising to see just how 'complete' each part was, before the two were mated... everything attached to the deck molding was installed, before the deck goes on. Looking into the hull at that stage, you'd think that it was a boat whose deck was cut off by a giant saw... the entire interior, all the wiring, plumbing, appliances, etc., were in place.

    I'm virtually certain that the stern rail was installed on the deck molding before the two parts were mated... it would have to be, since the two spots where the rail is secured are VERY tight. Even if I'm successful in removing the LPG insert, I'm still not certain that I'll be able to reach those fasteners.... under the BEST of circumstances, it will probably require me to work upside down, with half my body in the opening. I'm sure they don't do it that way, in the factory.

    Incidentally, the point in the production process (at least, for Catalinas, since I've seen it myself) where the deck is mated to the hull, is the very last 'stage' of the assembly process.... from there, it goes right into the test tank, to check for leaks.

    Both Catalinas, and Jeanneaus, are high volume production boats, built to a price point... they're nothing like a Hinkley. The Jeanneau is a big step up from the Catalinas, in terms of 'fit and finish', but that's really the only difference. There are MANY things on the Jeanneau that simply cannot be accessed. For example, the water system has an air bladder tank, to reduce water pump cycling; mine has failed, but even though I can see PART of it, there's simply no way it can be removed and replaced.... I'd have to take a saber saw to the woodwork below the chart table, to get it out. It's NOT an issue of 'knowing' the proper way to remove it... it's literally blocked by the interior woodwork. At best, I'd have to relocate some of the plumbing, and find a different spot to put a replacement tank.

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    There has to be a way of replacing those hoses. So there has to be a way of removing them now.
    As I indicated earlier, if I go through the hell of removing the stern locker on the port side, I could disconnect the vent hose at the transom thru-hull. As for the gas supply line, after removing the LPG insert, I'd have to add some sort of extension, to re-install it. I'm virtually certain that the factory gave NO thought to the idea of replacing those hoses.

    I've at least temporarily given up on the idea of installing deck plates in the transom, to get access to the fasteners. I've consulted a bunch of knowledgeable people, and while one thinks it's a good idea, two others don't.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  22. #92
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Central Coast, Ca
    Posts
    19,965

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    That's an interesting idea, actually.. the best one suggested so far! Chances are that the same part has been used in other models, and/or the mold for making one still exists. I have no idea what they would charge for one... maybe $500 sounds possible. I could cut it up, and that would give me the ability to extend both the gas supply hose, and the vent hose, before installing the new one.

    Of course, it's a rather drastic approach... but I'll keep it in mind
    Better find another one of those smiley things...

    Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    A new replacement locker. Cut out the old one, make the repair, glue in the new one...

  23. #93
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Norman, I guess that makes sense, easier to install hardware on the deck before it was put on the boat. I agree that installing the deck plates in the transom should be a last resort. I would not be quite so hesitant about cutting a hole in the LPG tank holder (as opposed to removing it). This way the hoses are untouched, and the repair job of your hole can be less obvious.

  24. #94
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    14,058

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Peb, in yacht production lines the deck is kept off the hull for as long as possible to allow freer movement of equipment and personnel in the hull as it is being assembled and fitted out. Both the hull and the deck are outfitted as much as possible prior to assembly to speed up production, including wiring, plumbing, and deck hardware. Big shops like Jenneau and Beneteau have taken quite a few ideas from the automotive industry, including the attitude that production speed at the expense of maintainability is OK. This has been acceptable, as many production 'glass boat owners view ownership of a yacht as similar to owning a car in that when there is a problem, they just take it to the dealer for service.



    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  25. #95
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Norman, I guess that makes sense, easier to install hardware on the deck before it was put on the boat. I agree that installing the deck plates in the transom should be a last resort. I would not be quite so hesitant about cutting a hole in the LPG tank holder (as opposed to removing it). This way the hoses are untouched, and the repair job of your hole can be less obvious.
    I agree.

    There's a problem with this approach, however. There's a 4" diameter engine compartment vent hose which runs between the LPG insert, and the portion of the transom where the stern rail mounts... I'd have to cut a large hole, very low down inside the LPG insert, to get beneath that hose, and I don't think I'd be able to reach the fasteners from that far down. If the LPG insert were removed, I'd be able to temporarily disconnect that hose.

    I have been thinking about it all morning, and I think I have a good compromise, though..... maybe all this discussion has helped.

    Assuming that I can remove the LPG insert: the connection of the vent hose, at the transom, can be disconnected if I remove the large stern locker insert, which is on the port side of the transom... but I've done this before, and it's a ripping pain in the butt to remove.

    However, the stern locker doesn't have to be removed... I can install a deckplate, 6" diameter, INSIDE the stern locker, to permit me to reach the vent hose. The stern locker is closed up with doors, and is designed to be wet inside (one of the cockpit scuppers actually drains into it, and thence out below the locker doors), so having an inspection opening there would be no big deal... it wouldn't be visible, and it's certainly not structural.

    If I can disconnect the vent hose, and attach a messenger line to it, I'd be able to lift up the LPG insert about 2 feet or so, maybe a little more.

    As for the LPG gas line: I'm pretty sure that I can remove the compression clamp fitting, through which, the gas line enters the LPG insert... permitting me to push that hose through. When re-installing, I could either attempt to thread it through the hole with a messenger line... or possibly add a hose extension to it.

    So.... my next task would be to fabricate a tool, as mmd suggested, to break the bead around the sides and back of the lip of the LPG insert. IF I can do that, then I'll have a much better handle on what the next steps will be.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  26. #96
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: Storm damage

    That sounds like a better approach Norman, I was about to say that you should remove those LPG hoses, even if it means a little destruction work around their fittings, and then rework after you are done such that the hoses can be replaced in the future if ever needed. Not being able to replace any hose on a boat seems like a problem that needs fixing regardless. Kill two birds in one stone.

  27. #97
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    10,143

    Default Re: Storm damage

    MMD, that makes sense. I should have known that. I remember 15 or 20 years ago having a tour through the Valiant plant here in North Texas, that's how they did things also.

  28. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Sharon, MA
    Posts
    19,599

    Default Re: Storm damage

    For anyone interested, this is a video consisting of photos taken at the Jeanneau factory in France. About in the middle of the video, you can see deck moldings being mated to their hulls....

    ...and the stern rails have already been attached

    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."







  29. #99
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Mountain lakes of Vermont
    Posts
    10,664

    Default Re: Storm damage

    I have been following with interest and have nothing to contribute but support. I had breakfast this morning with a friend who has a 14 year old Jeanneau 34. He's got no ideas either, but sends his best.
    Looks like it's going to be a royal pain in the butt. Like you say, even if you get that insert out, reaching those nuts might be a bear. Knowing that the nuts wouldn't be accessible for periodic tightening, I hope they didn't put them on with some sort of adhesive goop. Hopefully just nylon lined nuts.
    Good luck!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

  30. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,331

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Just need to take a sawzall right around the hull deck join, jack up the deck, swap out the rail, lower it down and go round the lot with duct tape. Job done.

  31. #101
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    86,825

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    Just need to take a sawzall right around the hull deck join, jack up the deck, swap out the rail, lower it down and go round the lot with duct tape. Job done.
    5200
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  32. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,331

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    5200
    But what if this happens again?

  33. #103
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Huntsville, AL
    Posts
    5,129

    Default Re: Storm damage

    The sawzall will take care of the 5200 the next go around. There, I fixed it.

    Just curious though. The stanchion pipes appear to be inserted into the body of the gunwale with a small decorative ring around where it goes into the fiberglass. I was wondering if these are inserted into closed molded holes several inches deep and secured with adhesive or is there a nut on the bottom. Is the decorative ring welded to the stanchion?
    Will

  34. #104
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Southampton Ont. Canada
    Posts
    6,167

    Default Re: Storm damage

    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Y View Post
    But what if this happens again?
    Cut the glass at a different spot
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

  35. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Australia and Tasmania
    Posts
    14,331

    Default Re: Storm damage

    I don't think there's any problem that can't be solved in the Bilge. I guess if the question had been posted in Building and Repair less damage would have been done to persons. But that's the risk you take.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •