Thread: All things pass..

Default All things pass..

or, "Buddhism in two words: "Everything Changes"

I'm being evicted from my shop. lots of woodworking /boatbuilding tools/stuff for sale. PM me if you need something you cant live without.

Hey! It's MY Hughniverse!

Default Re: All things pass..

OMFG!! Wha' happened?
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

property being sold, *sigh* and just when I was getting the place the way it suited me..

Serious bummer.

That hurts. No options?

Damn. That sucks.

Can you store it somewhere until you find another place? Damn.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

You can store it at my place....but the NW US might be a bit of a transport. That DOES suck!

How soon? We had that experience this fall and are now in Corinth, Vermont.

That's not good at all. You're welcome to store your stuff over here in Blue Hill while you resettle. The boat shed is empty right now and I won't be starting another build for a few months.
    Steve B
    TraditionalSmallCraftAssociation
    DowneastTSCA.org

TraditionalSmallCraft.com
    RIVUS 16' Melonseed

"If a man must be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most." E. B. White

Dang, Hugh. I second finding some temporary storage. If they're tools that you know and like working with, it would be hard to replace them later.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Have to get the trailer back?

Do you have anything like PODS (Portable On Demand Storage) in your area? More secure than a tin shed, they're basically a semi-trailer without wheels -- they park it for you to load, move it where you want, park it for you to store or unload; several sizes available.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Can you just buy the place?

Quick note on PODS (the actual item). They're more for household goods storage, not so much for actual tools. There's few places to tie down, and nothing for real tiedowns -- just rope, which won't really do it. Although I don't know the exact number, there is a practical weight limit. They're constructed of plywood, 4x4, and plastic, with an aluminum roll-up door. Real tools and supplies would travel/store better in a 20' shipping container. You can load it up good, screw things to the floor, weld to the walls, and drag it up a rollback when you're set to go. Reasonably weatherproof if you get one with 'low miles'. Highly re-sellable when the need has passed. Likely a zoning nightmare, though.

Good luck, man!

Chip

Or buy an old van, then you can park it on the street. Sell it when you are done.

I offered to buy the place, but it's spoken for. storage for some stuff perhaps, but it's hard to make a living with one's tools in a storage unit

I am so sorry to hear about this, Hugh. I hope that you find a viable option to selling your tools. Such a good time of year to get bad news, too.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Can you put up something (Bowshed with a stove?) where you are?
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

I had the same thing happen. Portland is getting denser. A new mass transit line & stop went in a block from my shop, and the landlord figured he could get better money catering to the new denizens of the gentrifying inner SE neighborhood.

I thought it would take a couple/three months to find something new. It took close to two years. The ever-increasing density of Portland means the old, funky, cheap spaces are being snapped up for lofts. Or yuppie-oriented businesses to serve those lofts. Or ganja-growing operations. LOTS of those, and so much money in it - they really drive up the prices for warehouse space.

Meantime, I put my stuff in a storage unit, took on more dockside work where I didn't need a full shop so much as a versatile, mobile shop. Then a friend retired from his custom furniture business, and offered me the use of his shop for free. All I had to do was agree to do some paid projects for him that he couldn't physically do. That was a huge improvement, but 35 miles from my doorstep out to far Colton - in the Cascade foothills. I'm pretty sure I heard banjos most days.

Then another friend decided he needed help with the rent at his new shop, and help setting things up. And help retraining himself to quit leaving a trail of chaos behind him. With both his tools and mine... it's a nice shop. And it's only 2.5 miles from my home. And he actually is making progress on the 'dump it and run' vs. 'leave it ready for the next person' issues.

But what an Odyssey it's been.

So I very much sympathize. But if you really want to keep going... you can probably figure out a way. If you were on the verge of retirement anyway... congrats!! It's here.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Any possibility of leasing or renting a shipping container and sticking it somewhere? My buddy has a shop/storage complex made from two of them.

Peace,
    Robert

If the information is of any use, last year I moved from midcoast Maine to Rhode Island, and I found PODS availability in Maine pretty limited. The only option was U-Haul, but it wasn't bad, although not cheap. My basement shop plus a couple of couches filled two 7' x 7' x 8' plywood boxes with hella strong fabric covers, at around $100/month each. U-Haul stored them for a month, delivered them to my new place, and left them for a month for me to empty. Whole thing including the move was about $1500. The weight limit was 2000 lbs apiece, iirc, which I used every bit of.

Indeed, there was a lack of tie-downs. I bought some cheap fittings and screwed them to the walls; no charge, U-Haul. I loaded pretty carefully and wedged everything in; both boxes were quite full and nothing shifted at all.

I really hope something works out for you; your situation is one of my nightmares.

Best,
    Chris
    "Where we would wish to reform we must not reproach." -Thomas Paine

Hugh,

Is this situation going on with your shop in the old school building or have you moved since I last visited you there? I presume you've been looking into shared shop space with others and haven't had luck within reason. The Rockland schooner guys don't have any suggestions/space? It is hard. I thought I was finally lucking into shared space to work on our boat when that all went away, too. Difficult and frustrating.
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

Damn!!! My sympathy, I hope you find another useful space .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

thanks for all your heartfelt replies, and suggestions. Anything one could rent is subject to shifts in the wind, I'm getting tired of this. This shop is a perfect space, made for boats (12 x 12 door, wing galleries, and a comfy loft) I had ideas of continuing my woodworking classes in this space (after "work" hours) such is life. I confess to "too much stuff", because life is rich with interesting projects and tools are needed for them, right? I must divest: possessions possess one. (do I really *have* to get rid of all these lovely clamps??)

No, keep them . A man needs his clamps !
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

I hope you can find peace in challenging times. When we can not control what happens it is an opportunity to control how we react to it and thereby set a helpful example to others in the world that are struggling as much or more than us.
    This is the first lesson ye should learn: There is so much good in the worst of us, and so much bad in the best of us, it doesn't behoove any of us to speak evil of the rest of us.
    E. Cayce

Quote Originally Posted by Hughman View Post
    thanks for all your heartfelt replies, and suggestions. Anything one could rent is subject to shifts in the wind, I'm getting tired of this. This shop is a perfect space, made for boats (12 x 12 door, wing galleries, and a comfy loft) I had ideas of continuing my woodworking classes in this space (after "work" hours) such is life. I confess to "too much stuff", because life is rich with interesting projects and tools are needed for them, right? I must divest: possessions possess one. (do I really *have* to get rid of all these lovely clamps??)
    "You can never be too rich, too good-looking, or have too many clamps."

-Canoez
    -William A. Ward

when people show up at my funeral, Ima gonna pass out clamps. you're all invited

Hugh, I'm tempted to take you up, it's getting a bit nipply around here.
    Hugh

I need to update this pic...

Quote Originally Posted by emjaya View Post