Thread: The Dory Shop

Default The Dory Shop

What is going on at the Dory Shop in Luninberg, NS? I called them about buying a pair of 9 ft oars. Yes, they have them at a reasonable price. Oars that long and longer are hard to find. They needed to find the shipping and handling costs before I could place an order. That was at least three weeks ago. Every time I call I am sent to voice mail, and I have yet to get an answer or speak to a real person.

Anyone know what is going on?

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Default Re: The Dory Shop

Maybe Jay has gone sailing?

try Hamilton marine,Maine

I do not know why you are not able to contact the Dory Shop, ahp. I called a friend in the Lunenburg town office who has assured me that the shop is still in business. If I find out more, I will let you know.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

So here's what I have found out, courtesy of lapsed Forumite Howard:

Trudy is in the office at 902-640-3005 most of the time so he’s not sure why ahp nor I couldn’t get a reply. He also said that the Dory Shop just buys the oars from Van Fancy (Milton’s son – website http://www.fancyoars-paddles.com), so ahp is probably better off going right to the source rather than deal through the Dory Shop.

Edit to correct phone number...
    Last edited by mmd; 12-21-2017 at 04:35 PM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

I bought a pair of oars from Van Fancy a couple of years ago! The turned out great! It took several weeks though since I ordered them in winter. They let me know it takes a lot longer to put on the varnish layers when it's cold.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Hey - "lapsed" ??

Howard

Nova Scotia has nice spruce. Buy oars unfinished, then you can tune them. I like matte finishes which seem to survive riding around in the truck bed better and much easier to repair the finish.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

Thanks Donmarine. Hamilton Marine does have 9 ft ours at a reasonable price, a little more than the Dory Shop, but Luninberg NS is further from Georgia than Maine. I will wait until after Christmas and give the Dory Shop one more try. Thanks MMD for looking into the issue.