Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Footage from the start of the next leg of the Volvo

Default Footage from the start of the next leg of the Volvo

Default Re: Footage from the start of the next leg of the Volvo

Sheeeesh!! Fast.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Fantastic! Thanks Jeff! Except it's the Vendee Globe, not the Volvo. But who cares - what terrific footage!!

Rick

Yea, that is the Volvo race.
    The Vemdee was last year and not again until 2020.

Wonder why none of the boats are using their boards?

Although, the video I get is of leg 2, Lisbon to Cape Town.
    They started leg 3, Cape Town to Malbourne, on Dec. 10.

That's odd. When I go to that link, I get Banque Populaire and Hugo Boss in the VG!

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    That's odd. When I go to that link, I get Banque Populaire and Hugo Boss in the VG!

Rick
    Yes,I also got conflicting vids.
    Does my link play Volvo Leg3?

Hmmmm...I got the Volvo OK. Amazing footage and fun to see the differences that trim makes on those boats. Fun to see the drivers sorting out their "feel" in those waters. I suspect some of them were getting a pretty good ribbing from their crewmates about being submarine drivers

I like this race. I just can not understand how you can wear a spray suit non-stop for weeks on end without getting all manner of horrible skin diseases.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post

Rick
    So did I when I went to my own link!

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    I like this race. I just can not understand how you can wear a spray suit non-stop for weeks on end without getting all manner of horrible skin diseases.

Mickey Lake
    I guess the legs are broken up enough that they aren't at sea TOO long.
    Leg 2 was 7000nm and was done in 19 days.
    The longest leg, Leg 7, is 7600nm. Auckland to Itajai, Brazile.
    Certainly long enough to get pretty funky, not more then 20-25 days at one time.

But they are going so bloody fast that the decks are awash in almost any breeze. Of course, no doubt they've got the best of everything on those boats, but I just know how nasty my gear would get after a five day Star or Finn regatta. Yuck.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Quote Originally Posted by jackster View Post
    Yes,I also got conflicting vids.
    Does my link play Volvo Leg3?
    Yes, no problem with that one. Thanks! Such great footage! The cameramen are very skilled!

Rick

I agree....after just a couple of days offshore racing my raingear has truely earned the appellation "foulies"! At least with these boats they're mostly in the cockpit...not camped on the weather rail as in days of yore getting progressively worse "boatbutt" with every surge through a wave.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    So did I when I went to my own link!
    This morning it works! The internet's playing tricks on us ...... again.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    But they are going so bloody fast that the decks are awash in almost any breeze. Of course, no doubt they've got the best of everything on those boats, but I just know how nasty my gear would get after a five day Star or Finn regatta. Yuck.

Mickey Lake
    Whatever's there gets blasted off again on the next watch! I've never had a sailing jacket that really keeps me dry. When it's really wet now, I wear a waterproof dinghy smock (Rooster) over a bib and brace pair of sailing trousers. That combination keeps me completely dry. The only problem is that it's too sweaty unless the weather's cold! Most of the time I wear a lighter dinghy smock and that works well. I don't think I'll ever buy another jacket.

Rick

Ive watched only about the first 10 minutes - will save the rest for tonight.
    But that segment focusing on Mapfre was amazing - running 3 headsails, the commentators gave them names (A2? J2? J3?) but im not really sure. whatever, amazing footage.
    Interesting to see thast they were keeping the slots open by poling out to leeward the 2nd headsail (J2?) at midships and also poling out the 1st headsail (A2?) right at the stern.
    Some serious setting up must have done.

Great footage. I just can't get over the fact that there are no harnesses or tethers to be seen when they set out. Even when they're working on the foredeck! Later, the Vestus crew dons lifejackets, but not before they get fully hosed several times.
    Last edited by Woxbox; 12-13-2017 at 08:17 PM.
    -Dave

Somewhat of an update...

Last edited by jackster; 12-22-2017 at 11:15 AM.

First three are in Melbourne, Australia...
    http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/new...-leg-wins.html

That was a great start.The channel out was horrible.

Good luck to Charlie Enright with whatever he is dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    The channel out was horrible.
    I didn't see what you mean. Was there a section that was bad some way? At what time in the youtube? Just curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TBSUNnNAI4
    "It's a pirate's life for me. Savvy??"

We were on that first headland where they changed tack on the way down the bay, quite close in.

Man Overboard!!!
    Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag

A truck load of lessons there. The main thing they did right was to have a dedicated lookout to keep an eye on him.

A lesson learned for me was how hard it was for a top athlete to pull another to top athlete back on board.

Imagine what chance I'd have of pulling an out of shape 200 pounder/ 90 kilo on board.
    Last edited by Hwyl; 01-14-2018 at 10:05 AM.

the all black uniforms may not be the best color choice for ocean racing eh?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I commented earlier that they seem pretty lax about wearing lifejackets and tethers. There were smiles after the recovery. I see nothing to smile about, that guy could have very easily been lost for good. Shouldn't the race organizers set basic safety standards?
    -Dave

Makes me wonder if there are any mandatory safety measures that were breached? And what consequences ?
    And if running the engine in gear will draw some penalties?
    Well done recovery, under the circumstances, though.

and now the stealth mode is on after the tracker went live. GRRRRR.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

No race will forbid the use of the engine for casualty recovery or other lifesaving. In most races there are protocols for after the save resetting, as it were, so that running the engine did not cause an unfair advantage. It is a prime duty to render aid.

There are times when a prompt save is best done under sail alone, and times when the engine should be used. If you have an engine but are planning an undersail save, you almost always should at least have it on and in neutral.

In the video, I was surprised not to see a danbuoy deployed. In most ocean racing events, that is required. And it really works. Coming back from the Azores the boat's owner, charmed by out lovely broad reach with chute and mizzen staysail drawing colorfully, was walking about the boat taking pix. Steady decks and all lovely. To get a better look he backed against the lifeline. And then looking for more he absent mindedly stepped backwards getting his leg over the lifeline with more agility than any of us thought he had and planting that foot on thin air.

Over he went.

I was on the helm and closest to the danbuoy that was socketed in the mizzen shroud. So shouting "Overboard" I heaved it.

In lifesaving they teach you to toss to just a bit away so's not to bonk the casualty. I was always pretty bad at any throw sport, so I hurled the danbuoy weighted end first like a javeline and aiming. One of the owner's friends aboard with his irrepressbile humor shouted "No Ian. Not the anchor" just as the thing bounced of the poor guy's head. But other than that our drill was perfect. On person went to only watch mode, staying focused on the casualty and nothing else. As we'd practiced, I did a "crash stop" as other crew brought down the backwinded chute and staysail. Then off to find our lost sole.

We had not realized how large the swells were. They must have been an easy 500' crest to crest so even though they were quite high we did not feel them when sailing. But the spotter reported that from his perch atop the dog house, eye about 15" above the waterline,when we were in one trough and the casualty in the next, he lost sight of the danbuoy flag that itself was 12' above water.

Our recovery was successful but the owner had a very large egg on his forehead the next day after a good rest as our physician aboard (well equipped crew) made sure of no concussion.

Drill matters. My own default method if it's an active casualty is to deploy the LifeSling to circle the casualty, giving time to get into the sling, and then draw the casualty in.

I keep a bale on the boom located such that when I heave-to that part of the boom is a couple feet past the gunnel. I can hook the handybilly always near by to that for hoisting an inert casualty aboard either on the lifesling or parbuckled in a cargo net, alse readily at hand.

Hypothermia note - bring such casualties aboard horizontal, as in parbuckled cargo net. Hoisting vertical can case dangerous to deadly loss of blood to the head.

If you must put crew or yourself in the water to secure the casualty for hoisting, make sure that party is as dressed for immersion as possible and is well tethered to the boat. No sense turning one casualty into two.

Most sailboats will heave-to but not always at the same attitude and there can be differences in the "square drift" boat to boat. My default rescue is to stop the boat and heave-to abeam and to weather of the casualty. That way I can control my approach, making a lee and having the rail lower for easier recovery. But with a power boat, you'll want to have your boat's variations on the Williamson, the Anderson One, and the Scharnov turns. The first two are great for prompt action. The Scharnov (really a mirror of the Williamson) is good if you've gone aways before noting the casualty and what you're really doing is the first leg of a search.

With a sailboat, if you are not able to heave-to (like maybe the sails were not up) and if the sea state is mild enough, you might approach your casualty under power downwind. It's easy to hold position stern into the wind. Most power boats, on the other hand, really should approach the casualty from the lee.

Drill. Drill. Drill. What works best for one boat might be disaster on another.

We did countless MOB drills on the Kalmar Nyckel. Along with everything else, the rule is to create a "debris trail," which usually means tossing extra lifejackets and anything else that floats overboard every few seconds to create a road of sorts back to the casualty. I'm still amazed that nothing was tossed when they lost that guy in the Volvo race, unless perhaps it was but not caught on camera? By the the time they got back to him, he should have had an opportunity to grab some sort of floating object tossed from the boat. Preferably bright orange with a whistle and light attached.
    -Dave

Boat-Crash 30 nm from the finish!

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/new...Hong-Kong.html

It now looks like Team AkzoNobel is on their way to meet (rescue?) Vestas 11th Hour Racing, according to the tracker!?

Don't see any updates on the Volvo Ocean Racing website!!