Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Footage from the start of the next leg of the Volvo

Default Re: Footage from the start of the next leg of the Volvo

UPDATE: 2150 UTC
    Race Control at the Volvo Ocean Race has requested team AkzoNobel to divert from its course to the finish line in Hong Kong to support Vestas 11th Hour Racing following a collision with another vessel.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    We did countless MOB drills on the Kalmar Nyckel. Along with everything else, the rule is to create a "debris trail," which usually means tossing extra lifejackets and anything else that floats overboard every few seconds to create a road of sorts back to the casualty. I'm still amazed that nothing was tossed when they lost that guy in the Volvo race, unless perhaps it was but not caught on camera? By the the time they got back to him, he should have had an opportunity to grab some sort of floating object tossed from the boat. Preferably bright orange with a whistle and light attached.
    \

At one stage, the spotter is telling the helmsman about the MOB being near "the yellow bit" or something similar. That would seem to indicate that objects had been thrown over.

Of interest, there were more MOB casualties (3) in the first race alone - which has been called a fast cruise when compared to modern RTW races - than in the half dozen races of the modern pro era. The only fatal MOB in the "middle era" of the RTW race involved one of the least competitive boats. So the objective evidence, while scanty, doesn't seem to point to a lax approach to MOB incidents generally from the pros.
    Last edited by Chris249; 01-19-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Looks like Team AkzoNobel has retired!

Edit to correct .. It was Vestas 11th Hour Racing that retired.
    AnzoNobel continued and came in third.. Sorry!
    Last edited by jackster; 01-20-2018 at 06:06 AM.

Saddest news, a fisherman died. VOR yet to acknowledge it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Saddest news, a fisherman died. VOR yet to acknowledge it.

http://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/new...ew-member.html

Note that I posted that at midnightish. At that time VOR were still gleefully welcoming finishers, even though they' known of the death for quite a few hours.

Sorry Gareth, I really didn't notice your post time and probably, thinking about it now, should not have quoted your post.
    I too, find it a little disturbing how little information VOR is reporting!
    It seems Vestas did the right thing and searched, and found, the missing crewman after the collision,. Unfortunately, he did not survive.

http://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/l...t-crashes-near

One report says the Vestas boat was slightly damaged. The picture I saw showed a huge hole punched in the port side barely above the waterline.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Yea I saw those pictures. Must have been a huge impact.

I imagine Vestas will abandon their sponsorship of a boat in the VOR, what with the grounding in the last race, and the sinking of what must have been a substantial boat, and the death of the boat's owner in this one. They are not getting the kind of publicity they had hoped for.

Charlie Enright missed this leg because his child had a medical crisis. I would not like to be in his brain right now.

Wow, could criminal charges come next?
    -Dave

Well, trying to catch up. The race is in leg 6 (of 11) and they are about halfway from Hong Kong to Auckland. Day 11 of about 21.
    Here is a vid from the leaders...

I don't know, doesn't look like, at least in this video, they are having much fun!
    I'm a cruiser/day sailor type. Not done any racing to speak of.
    I can appropriate the effort and admire the spirit, and love keeping up, but don't think it is my 'cupa'.

How many crew on deck before the collision? 30 miles from Hong Kong. no active radar watch? Tragic.

Quote Originally Posted by skaraborgcraft View Post
    How many crew on deck before the collision? 30 miles from Hong Kong. no active radar watch? Tragic.
    Good questions. This is all I heard. From last Monday from Vestas 11th Hour Racing...
    "Vestas 11th Hour Racing will continue to provide updates on the boat repairs and the ongoing investigation as they become available."
    http://www.vestas11thhourracing.com/media/boatlog/boat-arrives-by-ship-in-auckland
    http://www.vestas11thhourracing.com/...at-crew-member
    http://www.vestas11thhourracing.com/...from-hong-kong

Just rounding North Cape. Light winds ahead.....Depending on you Kiwi's to give us some inside info.

Heading for Cape Brett, there's some talk of going through the Cavalli passage.
    https://www.volvooceanrace.com/en/raw/7626.html

I thought this was some incredible drone footage.
    50 degrees plus south latitude!

https://www.facebook.com/volvooceanr...6729215592437/

Beautiful, thanks!!

I've been following Scallywag on this leg. But I should have picked one of the others! Every time I check, they're further behind. I can't really see how they lost out so badly so far, when all the others are so close! Also keen to see Turn the Tide do well though, and they do seem to be going well.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Beautiful, thanks!!

I've been following Scallywag on this leg. But I should have picked one of the others! Every time I check, they're further behind. I can't really see how they lost out so badly so far, when all the others are so close! Also keen to see Turn the Tide do well though, and they do seem to be going well.

Rick
    Yea, Scallywag seems to go their own way, don't they. the skipper, David Witt, is a colo(u)rful character... among a list of less-than-sane participants !
    I heard that they lost some backstay gear that slowed them down some while they fixed it.
    And, the total elapsed time difference after 6 legs (2100+ NM) between the two leading boats, Dongfeng and Mapfre, is 4 min 31 sec. Or .004% !!!
    Amazing!!

Scallywag is way north on their own now. Could make it interesting.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

And, the total elapsed time difference after 6 legs (2100+ NM) between the two leading boats, Dongfeng and Mapfre, is 4 min 31 sec. Or .004% !!!
    Amazing!!
    Not totally amazing. One of the skippers stated after the last race that they hang together deliberately.
    -Dave

I hope I'm wrong but it doesn't look like a happy ending for Scallywag this time.

MOB almost 6 hours a go, no other help in sight.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Appalling. Lets hope.

Yep. I wonder what gear they wear? They have survival suits which I'd assume have PLB but I wonder if they wear those 'back to boat' signalling devices? Have to wonder how it happened - in-between clipping on? Harness broke? Hard to imagine anyone surviving for long in that water.

Rick

Search called off, officially lost at sea.

Kiwi round-the-world-veteran Mike Quilter said there could only be grave fears for British sailor John Fisher, after he fell from the boat Scallywag during the Volvo Ocean Race.Quilter, who took part in five of the yachting epics, said survival time in the water might be as little as 20 minutes.
    Fisher who was wearing survival gear is reported to have been missing since the early hours of Tuesday morning (NZ time) after he went overboard from the Team Sun Hung Ka boat about 1400 nautical miles west of Cape Horn.
    Water temperature was 9C with 35-knot westerly winds, and "accompanying sea state", an official report stated.
    ADVERTISEMEN
    Advertise with NZME.

Quilter said that Fisher was either "not clipped on" or his harness had broken.
    Quilter, who lives in Kerikeri, said crews he had been part of had barely suffered an injury during five races but the dangers were still there as boats strove for victory in extreme conditions.
    "It's a toss up sometimes...good seamanship versus a desire to win," he said.
    "Sometimes I would think this is crazy...we've got to slow down. But if you don't put up the big sails you finish last. You have competitive people who want to win."
    He said the water could hit sailors "like a wall".
    When asked about Fisher's survival chances, Quilter thought they were probably "nil". It was an impossible task in the conditions to turn a boat around quickly enough even though the alarm would have been raised immediately.
    "In a heartbeat you are miles away from where you want to get back to," he said.
    An official statement said that because of gale force conditions, it was not an option to divert any of the other six yachts, which were at least 200 miles east and downwind of Scallywag.
    Quilter said: "Obviously your heart goes out to those involved. You can only imagine what he (Fisher) would have been feeling, as the little light (of Scallywag) quickly faded into the distance)."
    Quilter said he did not like the Volvo Ocean 65 class of boats, because they sat so low in the water. He said it would add to the discomfort and possible even the danger because the sailors would be constantly wet.
    ****** up
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    Search called off, officially lost at sea.
    Sadly tragic but, really. should not be unexpected that a death could, even should, occur in such an endeavor, I think.
    That team must be devastated, but need to ensure that the rest get safely out of the southern ocean. Their position now is critical in terms of the upcoming weather to Cape Horn!
    I wonder what their decision will (should) be?

Here is some footage of John Fischer I guessing just hours before he went overboard!!
    Just sad! At the 11:05 mark.

The following story has been issued on behalf of Team Sun Hung Kai / ScallywagOn Monday 26 March, Team Sun Hung Kai / Scallywag lost John Fisher overboard in the Southern Ocean, approximately 1,400 nautical miles west of Cape Horn.
    Despite conducting an exhaustive search in gale force conditions, he has not been recovered.
    “This is the worst situation you can imagine happening to your team,” said SHK/Scallywag Team Manager Tim Newton, who has spoken with skipper David Witt and navigator Libby Greenhalgh about what happened on Monday.
    “We are absolutely heart-broken for John’s family and friends. I know for David, he has lost his best friend. It’s devastating.”
    Newton says he asked the crew to put together a timeline of events to ensure accurate reporting on the incident and it follows here:

• On Monday, 26 March, SHK/Scallywag was racing in Leg 7 of the Volvo Ocean Race from Auckland, New Zealand to Itajai, Brazil, approximately 1,400 nautical miles west of Cape Horn
    • Weather conditions were 35-45 knots with 4 to 5 metre seas with showers reducing visibility. It was 15 minutes before sunrise
    • The team was sailing with a single reef in the mainsail and the J2 jib. The Fractional 0 (FR0) sail was hoisted but furled
    • At roughly 1300 UTC SHK/Scallywag surfed down a large wave leading to an accidental crash gybe
    • John Fisher was on deck, in the cockpit. At the time, he was moving forward to tidy up the FR0 sheet and had therefore unclipped his tether
    • As the mainsail swung across the boat in the gybe, the mainsheet system caught John and knocked him off the boat. The crew on board believe John was unconscious from the blow before he hit the water
    • He was wearing a survival suit with a wetsuit hood and gloves and a lifejacket
    • The JON buoy and the horseshoe buoy were thrown off the back of the boat to mark the position
    • It took some time to get the boat under control and motor sail back to a position near where the man overboard occurred
    • At 1342 (UTC), the team informed Race Control, by email, that there was a man overboard and they were returning to the MOB position to start a search pattern
    • With input from the Maritime Rescue Coordination Centre and Race Control in Alicante, a search and rescue operation was carried out for several hours but there was no sign of John, the horseshoe buoy, or the JON buoy
    • With weather conditions deteriorating, a difficult decision was taken to abandon the search and preserve the safety of the remaining crew

Newton says the team is distraught but has a clear focus on getting the crew and boat back to shore.
    “This situation isn’t over yet for our team,” Newton said. “The conditions are extremely challenging, with strong winds and a forecast for a building sea state over the next couple of days. Our sole focus, with the assistance of Race Control in Alicante is to get the team into port safely.
    “Once we have achieved that, we have time to de-brief more fully and ensure that any lessons that can be learned from what happened to John are incorporated by the rest of the fleet going forward.
    “That would be a tremendous legacy for John, who spent so much of his time passing the learnings from his lifetime of experience at sea onto the younger sailors on our team.”

Triple clip tethers are a hassle to use but they're a good idea for these conditions. The more they're used, the more familiar and fluent their use becomes. I'm surprised these guys' survival suits don't have, or seem to have, any PLB or boat-networked signalling device. I'll bet this changes following this race.

Rick

That aspect really surprises me. ( if thats the case)

I'm still unable to understand why what's essentially a one-design boat has to be built so that the decks are constantly awash and the boom can knock the crew overboard. They would give up so little performance in making the boats far safer (and more comfortable) in correcting these issues, and the teams would still be competing on an equal basis.
    -Dave

how long did it take to get the boat turned around?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

45 minutes if the report is accurate. Makes sense. Have to get most of their sails down and secured then motor back, say 5 miles +?, against 35+ knot winds and very big seas. I can't imagine how difficult that would be.

Rick