Thread: Trying to contact Tim Marchetti to obtain plans for his 20' Freighter

Default Trying to contact Tim Marchetti to obtain plans for his 20' Freighter

Good Day!

I am a newcomer to the forum, to any forum in fact, and am seeking help in tracing Tim Marchetti as I wish to purchase plans for his 20' Freighter.

FYI I am a 73 year old Brit currently living with my wife close to the river Mösel in northern Germany. The Mösel flows into the nearby Rhine and both rivers are major waterways carrying a large volume of commercial and tourist traffic. Its a wine growing area with numerous picturesque villages and towns, castles and the like on the twisting slopes. I have had a couple of yachts over the years and, having learned to sail at 65, sailed the first, a Halmatic 30, around the UK and the second, an Oyster 26, for several months in the Mediterranean, before sailing it to, and selling it in Reggio, Italy.

I sailed alone, apart from one or two short legs, as my wife is afraid of the sea, and I hanker after another boat. I learned a lot from my previous boats. Averaging 5 knots is too slow for a man of my temperment, as is clinging on to a heeling sailboat whilst attempting to get the most from her in lumpy seas. The biggest lesson I learned however, is the inherant folly in dragging around, underwater, a vast quantity of lead which seeks to take the boat down to visit Davey Jones, and renders numerous rivers, estuaries, anchorages and drying harbours unusable (I realise that many sailors will be outraged by my ignorance in this regard but, to save them the trouble of correcting me, please note, I've heard it all before).

From the outset I would have prefered a catamaran or trimaran, and still do, but those that are suitable are beyond my means and, at my time of life, it would take too long to build one. Tim's Freighter looks a much cheaper and simpler proposition and, it seems to me, would be hard to better as a camping platform on which to explore the local waters. Forum members Lost Caddo and Oyster, with whom I have been in contact, have both documented succesful builds and can testify to its virtues. Unfortunately neither of them have up to date contact details for Mr Marchetti and I have made this post in the hope that someone knows his current whereabouts and can provide me with details, or pass on my interest in obtaining a set of plans.

I have poured over this (and that other forum), for hours over the last couple of years and I appreciate the wealth of experience, knowledge and help members can provide. You have certainly improved my understanding, thank you!

For the record, I hope to start making the forms and a strong back in the New Year and to be in a position to start stripping when the weather is suitable. I have both the Gilpatrick and Moores books, which are excellent, and with luck, someone on the forum can point me in the direction of Tim. Who knows, he may even read this?

Default Re: Trying to contact Tim Marchetti to obtain plans for his 20' Freighter

Quote Originally Posted by stevegooda View Post
    Good Day!

I am a newcomer to the forum, to any forum in fact, and am seeking help in tracing Tim Marchetti as I wish to purchase plans for his 20' Freighter.
    His email address is posted in this thread...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Tim-s-design)

Default Re: Trying to contact Tim Marchetti to obtain plans for his 20' Freighter

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyard Dog View Post
    His email address is posted in this thread...

http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...-Tim-s-design)
    Thank you for your prompt response Junkyard Dog, but that email address is no longer valid. PS, I hope I have done this correctly and by the way, your pseudonym is intriguing, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by stevegooda View Post
    Thank you for your prompt response Junkyard Dog, but that email address is no longer valid. PS, I hope I have done this correctly and by the way, your pseudonym is intriguing, Steve
    Ah well, I tried.

As far as my nom de plume, it was the name of my first sailboat - a hurricane damaged Creekmore 7M - mast from a Ranger Fun, spreaders from an S2 6.9, rudder from a Santana 20, boom from a Laser II mast, trailer from a junked Sonar... Well, you get the idea. It was an appropriate appellation for the wee beastie.

If you don't mind me asking, but how many moose are you planning on packing out ? A canoe is the most amazing boat ever designed, a run of the mill 16' will pack more than a compact car. The Prospector design will pack at least 800 pounds. When I camp with the 17 'Nomad, a Ted Moore prospector design , I pack a two burner Colman stove, a three person tent, foams for sleeping on and a couple of lawn chairs. Maximum beam on a canoe should not exceed 34", after that a motor is needed.

Sounds reasonable Junkyard Dog. Maybe I should have been a little more adventurous!

Downwindtracker2, my intention is to use an outboard, probably 9.9hp. Lost Caddo used a 25hp outboard and made rapid progress with good fuel economy on his 1400 mile trip up the Mississipi. He had a 50 gallon fuel tank as he had a stretch of 400 miles to cover between fuel stops. He has said that, in fact, 50 gallons would provide a 600 mile range. I am thinking of a fuel tank with a capacity of 10 to 15 gallons.

I realise that the Freighter has totally different characteristics to conventional canoe hull forms and that it will be a dog to paddle, but I hope to be able to skull or row for short distances if necessary. Whilst 10hp or so won't get it to plane at the speeds of Lost Caddo I hope it will cruise at about 8 - 10 mph, with a bit in reserve. I want to live aboard, albeit primitively, for a few days at a time, camping, if you like.

I think a low caddy/cabin extending back from the high recurve bow would not look too ungainly. Something big enough to limbo into in order to shelter, sleep, cook rudimentary meals and reflect upon whether or not the headroom could have been greater. Somewhere to squat on a DIY Composting toilet with a degree of privacy and a dry place to store clobber and grub. The only reservation I have is about access to the bow to handle a line or anchor rode. I'm hoping I can manage through a hatch, and that necessity will overcome resistance of creaking joints.

I won't strive for a pristine finish, rather the sort of boat that most people would not give give a second glance. A working boat.

My wife and I spent 6 weeks in Norway in a campervan. We had a great time but came away regretting the fact we had not spotted a Moose. It seems to me that Tim's Freighter might be capable of taking some hardy individual via the Rhine to the Baltic, along the Danish and Swedish coastlines and into Norwegian waters. Once amongst the Fjord's the chance of encountering those elusive Moose would be much improved, and the scenery? Wouldn't it be nice to roll back the years?

If anyone has any observations to make, please go ahead. Keeping this post afloat a few more days may bring it to Tim's notice. Cheers, Steve

Hi Folks
    Thanks for the kind words about my design. I've been away for awhile. I sold my CNC business, and my house and have been building our new house. My new email is
    tmarchett26@gmail.com. I no longer have the capacity to print plans, but I will sell electronic plans that can be printed full scale on a large format printer or send files for someone to cut with a cnc router.
    Cheers

.......................just found this note, it's a working email address .........
    ...and check this posting:
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthread.php?207593-20-ft-freighter-canoe-(-Tim-s-design)

Wojo
    Last edited by 2dogsnight; 12-08-2017 at 12:00 PM.
    1955 Fontana 18' - 1958 Atomic 4
    1985 Glen L15 - 1980 Johnson 7.5 hp
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13
    1960 Skippy 12C FeatherCraft - 1979 Seagull Forty Plus

Thanks 2dogs but that emai address is no longer valid. I have a telephone number that was associated with Mr Marchetti, 207-***-4753. I have left a message but not had a response. Will try it again tomorrow.

Edited 11th Dec 2017 full telephone number amended to partial number. I have left a couple of messages on this number without a response so I'm unsure if it is still Mr Marchetti's. Steve
    Last edited by stevegooda; 12-11-2017 at 06:57 AM.

The freighter I use for hunting is 16'-5" Mackenzie Sport by Clipper, I know it's polyester and Kevlar, but the Nomad took three winters to build. Their design was to take 18'-6" Yukon and loop a couple feet off to square the stern. They rate it as 3hp maximum , I'm using 4.5hp Mercury. I think I can plane with two aboard, which is very, very, scary. It will pack 1300# with 7" of freeboard.

I worked with a older fellow building a paper mill on Vancouver Island. It was his last job in '89. His father had been a fishing guide/outfitter on a big lake in northern Saskatchewan. They have big lakes up there, like almost the Great Lakes size. They used 20'+ freighter canoes that they purchased from the Hudson Bay Company. He figured they could handle the ocean easily as they took some rough water on the lakes.

Steve,
    Tim posted this today on tread linked in my last posting:

Sorry folks, I’ve still been busy working on my house and I see now that the email address I posted had a typo tmarchetti26@gmail.com
    Tim Marchetti
    CNC Routing & Design
    www.cncroutinganddesign.com

Wojo

2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Thanks for your perseverence 2dogs. I have just sent an email to that address and, so far, it has not bounced!

I must be getting slow as I had spotted the fact that the letter I was missing in the email address but assumed it was intentional. This getting old is definitely a pain in the you know what.

Thanks again and I'll post again when, hopefully not if, Mr Marchetti responds to me email, Steve

No problem Steve. Glad I could help.
    I was curious to find a picture of this boat so since I can never find anything using the forum search - I went to Google. Search turned out - among other sources - a Forum treads - anyway, it's a big boat !

Wojo
    2016 kayak Mill Creek 13

Yes 2dogs, its a big canoe, but a moderately sized powerboat. It looks to me, and other builders have stated, that it is stable, dry, an excellent load carrier, planes easily, slices through chop and is fuel efficient. There have been a number of threads that evaluate the pros and cons of long, narrow boats and Tim's Freighter has been mentioned often.

Yes Downwind, Freighters do seem to have earned a good reputation in difficult conditions, but I doubt any one would consider them suitable for ocean going. I'm strictly a fair weather sailor, but have the greatest respect for what others achieve. Sounds like your canoe suits you just fine, and a little bit of scary once in a while is tolerable. Long may you enjoy it. Steve

If you read AJZimm's account of camping in an open boat on the BC coast you might find some tips http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ection-(mostly) It's an interesting read any way. Your freighter will work about the same.

Now they run the northern rivers with 500hp aluminum jet boats, and lots of stashed barrels of gas, but when I was young forty or more years ago, the boat was a 20' Grumman canoe and a 20hp Mercury outboard. Around here they will row wide canoes on lakes. It might be an idea to put oar locks on.

Am about to go to bed but I had a quick look and will read it tomorrow. Just scanning through it I recognise the pseudonyms of many forum members who contribute frequently in that neck of the woods. The sail and oar group. Or is that the oar and sail group? Whatever, it looks a fantastic area both to live in and definitely to sail in. Had I lived there I have absolutely no doubt I would have been sailing long before I was 65 years old. I look forward to reading the thread, thanks for pointing it out.

Re the 20' Grumman, Robb White credits that as a big influence on his Sportsboat and perhaps some of it has found its way into Tim's Freighter. My wife and I spent almost 6 months touring America in a motorhome once. Sadly there were many places we couldn't fit in and we have spoken many times of going back, wishful thinking really. That is one of the areas we missed out on, but it is a huge country with so much wonderful scenery. Maybe one day?.

And of course now they have the R2A. What an experience that must be. Steve