Thread: In Just 4 Hours, Google's AI Mastered All The Chess Knowledge in History

Default In Just 4 Hours, Google's AI Mastered All The Chess Knowledge in History

/* More AI hyperbole. */

In Just 4 Hours, Google's AI Mastered All The Chess Knowledge in History (ARTICLE LINK)
    |
    Excerpt
    Chess isn't an easy game, by human standards. But for an artificial intelligence powered by a formidable, almost alien mindset, the trivial diversion can be mastered in a few spare hours.

In a new paper, Google researchers detail how their latest AI evolution, AlphaZero, developed "superhuman performance" in chess, taking just four hours to learn the rules before obliterating the world champion chess program, Stockfish.

In other words, all of humanity's chess knowledge and beyond was absorbed and surpassed by an AI in about as long as it takes to drive from New York City to Washington, DC.

After being programmed with only the rules of chess (no strategies), in just four hours AlphaZero had mastered the game to the extent it was able to best the highest-rated chess-playing program Stockfish.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: In Just 4 Hours, Google's AI Mastered All The Chess Knowledge in History

I've been working on my game, too.

Default Re: In Just 4 Hours, Google's AI Mastered All The Chess Knowledge in History

As I said before, remember where the darned thing is plugged in.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

AlphaZero... aka searover.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

I wonder what would happen if two identical Google AIs played each other. Would every game be a draw?
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by isla View Post
    I wonder what would happen if two identical Google AIs played each other. Would every game be a draw?

Probably as each would be doing the 'what if this move is played, then what if' and playing millions of possible games to the end from that position.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Now THAT'S an experiment I'd love to see run. Repeatedly. Would one of them turn out to have a 'telent' for chess? I doubt it'd be a string of draws. But you'd think the likelihood of one winning might be - with a large enough sample size - around 50%. Would it turn out so? I hope they do this.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan View Post
    In a series of 100 games against Stockfish, AlphaZero won 25 games while playing as white (with first mover advantage), and picked up three games playing as black. The rest of the contests were draws, with Stockfish recording no wins and AlphaZero no losses.
    The question that seems important here is: Did the programs learn much from playing each other?

It could be that Stockfish learned enough of AlphaZero's style to force draws in the future.
    Life is complex.

Ultimately they would learn to play chess like one plays tic tac toe, i.e. you know how to analysis the available moves AND subsequent moves and play not to lose.
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Wouldn't whichever played White win? Theoretically, White has a time advantage and with 'perfect' play, should win, unless Black can gain time, maybe by forking two strong White pieces or playing a discovered check.

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Quote Originally Posted by sharpiefan View Post
    Wouldn't whichever played White win? Theoretically, White has a time advantage and with 'perfect' play, should win, unless Black can gain time, maybe by forking two strong White pieces or playing a discovered check.
    Maybe... but you're talking about any one game. I'd be much more interested in a statistically significant set of games.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

What if...

This AI was used to decde which moves to make to decide an election?
    Chess is about nothing if not distraction, just sayin'

Great! When does it start looking for Sarah Conner?
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Id like to see that fancy computer take on the trained chicken.

Ill bet your algorithms cant deal with utter nonsense play, Mr. Diode!

Peace,
    Worse Than The Trained Chicken, By Far

We would have educated pawns guised in black robe-like garb, equally pitted against uneducated pawns in pink tutus. The heavy hitters will all need glasses but not wear them, leaving pale shadows around the eyes, the inverse of a raccoon. Others will only move diagonally and not very often as they are judicial, standing guard at the perimeter. The knights will resign at the first hint of any impropriety, while the rooks will stand tall until they are slain.
    The trick is that the pieces will be summarily replaced every few years, and the slain will always be replaced immediately. The real game is only about the replacements... Those decisions are the long game.

Doodle that!

When the thing can beat Mr. Spoke at 3D chess, then I'll be impressed.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...