Thread: 3.6-Million-Year-Old Fossil Is The Most Complete Hominin Skeleton The World Has Seen

Default 3.6-Million-Year-Old Fossil Is The Most Complete Hominin Skeleton The World Has Seen

3.6-Million-Year-Old Fossil Is The Most Complete Hominin Skeleton The World Has Seen (ARTICLE LINK)

Image: University of the Witwatersrand

Excerpt
    After 20 years of slow, careful excavation, the world's most complete skeleton of an ancient human ancestor has just been unveiled.

It belongs to the genus Australopithecus, and it's 3.67 million years old. It is, by far, the most complete hominin skeleton globally older than 1.5 million years, and the oldest hominin skeleton ever found in South Africa. Its name is "Little Foot" - because the discovery of the skeleton started with four small footbones.

"This is one of the most remarkable fossil discoveries made in the history of human origins research and it is a privilege to unveil a finding of this importance today," said Ron Clarke from the Evolutionary Studies Institute at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg, who discovered the skeleton 20 years ago.

Little Foot is not the oldest hominin skeleton ever found -that honour goes to Ardi, a hominin that lived in Ethiopia 4.4 million years ago. But Little Foot is significantly more complete than Ardi, and may be more informative.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: 3.6-Million-Year-Old Fossil Is The Most Complete Hominin Skeleton The World Has S

Human ancestor??? says who?

Lucy, after being trotted out as our ancestor for 20+ years by the Leakys... was no closer related to Humans than a monkey in the ZOO today.

Default Re: 3.6-Million-Year-Old Fossil Is The Most Complete Hominin Skeleton The World Has S

Yeah, yeah.... and the world's 6,000 years old. A guy I know is convinced of it. I suspect this skeleton is more intelligent than him
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Human ancestor??? says who?

Lucy, after being trotted out as our ancestor for 20+ years by the Leakys... was no closer related to Humans than a monkey in the ZOO today.
    You are incapable of supporting your statement. You simply do not have the capacity.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

I can write the number, convert it to seconds, but I cannot comprehend 3.6 million years. My mind cannot grasp the passage of that much time. I can picture life on Earth changing as one species after another walks above the bones, but I cannot imagine those bones resting undisturbed over that passage of time. It's humbling.