Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coal Miner "I have a lot of faith in President Trump"

Default Re: Coal Miner "I have a lot of faith in President Trump"

Is no one else bumping on the simple fact that a federally funded course in coal mining even EXISTS???

Madness.
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

I like this picture.
    We likely have three generations of coal miners daughters in abject poverty, all of them destined to oblivion.
    Only the cat looks content with it's lot in life. And there are so many examples of conservation of material with necessity being the mother of invention. Note the step up onto the porch, the railing heavy enough to sit on with no fasteners. What's up with that woman's shoe on the rt. side railing, and what is she doing, braiding some string?
    And the washtub by the stoop.( As a young man, my father shoveled coal in the holds of ships (Coal trimmer) for a living up until ww2 and his mother would not let him enter the house until he stripped down and washed the dust off. There was the same tub in front of our back entrance, waiting. Same deal I think.)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Making America Great again...

You missed "Barefoot and pregnant."
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Nope, that was the reason I selected it...

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    The reason that Minnesota has gone one way recently and Wisconsin other is almost entirely that we have one large city with the majority of the state's population, while Wisconsin has smaller cities and a slight majority of the population is outside them, so it tips the other way and you get Scott Walker.
    Rural vs. urban is too simplistic in Wisconsin's case. A much bigger reason for the differences between Wisconsin and Minnesota politics these days, I think, is that Wisconsin Republicans have been far more successful with their gerrymandering.

In statewide elections in 2012, Democrats received 200,000 more votes than Republicans. At the same time, Republicans WON more than 60% of the seats up for grabs. How's THAT for electoral math?

Since Walker got elected in 2010, Republicans have been on a roll. They quickly did away with the Government Accountability Board and (via a corrupt State Supreme Court) killed investigations that had already uncovered illegal coordination between Walker's campaign and various conservative groups. And fired virtually every scientist at the state Department of Natural Resources. And de-funded public schools while using tax revenue to fund private religious schools. And killed worker rights. And of course the gerrymandering goes on, since legislators draw the new maps and Republicans have locked up all the seats.

There's a reason the Wisconsin gerrymandering system is being reviewed by the Supreme Court. Not that I have great expectations that the current court will strike it down--it's a winner for Republicans, after all. Who cares if it disenfranchises everyone who votes for Democrats?

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    For the first time in my life I don't feel as if I belong here anymore, and I am sure a lot of people feel that way.
    I know EXACTLY how you feel.

Tom
    You don't have to be prepared as long as you're willing to suffer the consequences.

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    MAGA

Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter

I have practiced this on guitar, next time im at a hootananny and they ask me to play im starting with this.

Hey Bobbys, you have faith in Trump? You know, that he represents the common man and will do right by him?

There will always be an underclass. What's sad is that some chose to remain members of it.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    There will always be an underclass. What's sad is that some chose to remain members of it.
    Up to a point, Lord Copper!

The size of the underclass has a good deal to do with the willingness of those who are not in it to help people to leave it.

Some are so "damaged" that they find it extremely difficult to leave it. Others can leave it without help, but they are quite few in number. Most can leave it, if they are helped to do so, but they will need help because membership of the underclass tends to reinforce behaviour that keeps people in it.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    So is there a rural vs urban component in Alabama?
    dude, even metro areas of alabama are still pretty rural. . .
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.