Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coal Miner "I have a lot of faith in President Trump"

Default Coal Miner "I have a lot of faith in President Trump"

(Reuters) -

When Mike Sylvester entered a career training center earlier this year in southwestern Pennsylvania, he found more than one hundred federally funded courses covering everything from computer programming to nursing.

He settled instead on something familiar: a coal mining course.

”I think there is a coal comeback,” said the 33-year-old son of a miner.

Despite broad consensus about coal’s bleak future, a years-long effort to diversify the economy of this hard-hit region away from mining is stumbling, with Obama-era jobs retraining classes undersubscribed and future programs at risk under President Donald Trump’s proposed 2018 budget.
    Trump has promised to revive coal by rolling back environmental regulations and moved to repeal Obama-era curbs on carbon emissions from power plants.
    “I have a lot of faith in President Trump,” Sylvester said.

But hundreds of coal-fired plants have closed in recent years, and cheap natural gas continues to erode domestic demand. The Appalachian region has lost about 33,500 mining jobs since 2011, according to the Appalachian Regional Commission.
    Although there have been small gains in coal output and hiring this year, driven by foreign demand, production levels remain near lows hit in 1978.
    A White House official did not respond to requests for comment on coal policy and retraining for coal workers.
    What many experts call false hopes for a coal resurgence have mired economic development efforts here in a catch-22: Coal miners are resisting retraining without ready jobs from new industries, but new companies are unlikely to move here without a trained workforce. The stalled diversification push leaves some of the nation’s poorest areas with no clear path to prosperity.
    Federal retraining programs have fared better, with some approaching full participation, in the parts of Appalachia where mining has been crushed in a way that leaves little hope for a comeback, according to county officials and recruiters. They include West Virginia and Kentucky, where coal resources have been depleted

Default Re: Coal Miner "I have a lot of faith in President Trump"

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Making America Great again...

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

MAGA

Loretta Lynn - Coal Miner's Daughter

Great grandfather died in a mine cave in. Hibernia NJ. Grand pa took me to see the hole. No benifits for widows they almost starved., pop cried when he could not find the grave of his brother.

That poor schmuck is a damned fool. I'd feel sorry for him, except that his and his ilk are dangerous.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Great grandfather died in a mine cave in. Hibernia NJ. Grand pa took me to see the hole. No benifits for widows they almost starved., pop cried when he could not find the grave of his brother.
    A grand uncle for me. I've worked underground, it's a mug's game.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Ya just can't fix stupid.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Making America Great again...

In my town that's worth $750k,if it's on the beach,down by the tennis courts.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Everyone knows about what is happening in Alabama politics right now, I assume? You should see some of the Facebook threads that follow some of the editorials our state on-line newspaper (Al.com) posts. I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with anyone on the internet, but you just want to slap/shake some of these people and tell them how bloody stoopid they are to their faces. 'Moore never did anything', 'it's all just fake news', 'he will help Trump drain the swamp' and on and on and on ad infinitum. You really have to ask yourself if these are beings of the same species sometimes, but sadly, it's the way things are.

The funniest/saddest thing I have seen lately are the attacks on Time magazine. Apparently Time and the Washington Post made up these stories and paid these women to act out these fantasies. It's all a conspiracy hatched by evil Democrats and Mitch McConnell to keep Moore from being Trump's side partner in making America great again.

I am ashamed and humiliated to share the same air these people are breathing.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Damn Mickey.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I have a lot of ancestors who mined coal. Climate change issues aside, it's not a job any human being should do. I've said this before, but I will rejoice on the day when the last miner comes up from underground and starts setting up the robots for the next shift.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

It's frustrating, Paul. Shelby refused to vote for Moore, but people I have had respect for in the past swear they will vote him in because they have to vote with their party. What happened to this country? What happened to doing the right thing?

I know I am naive. I am a Christian who actually tries to 'do what Jesus would do'. I am a patriot who loves my country and my home. I bought this stuff as a kid and at just about 60 years old haven't become so cynical as to lose all hope that things will get better one day. That all men and women will be treated as equals and that hard work and their abilities as individuals are the only thing that will determine how far they go in life.

For the first time in my life I don't feel as if I belong here anymore, and I am sure a lot of people feel that way.

Mickey Lake

Mickey, what's your take on how itgot that way? I know some history, I can post charts and theorize, but I don't know people in Alabama. What happened?

This is what I fear:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

33000 long jobs lost in the last 6 years and my federal tax dollars are paying for a coal mining job training course WTF.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    Ya just can't fix stupid.
    Yup. And Nope. If policies are properly designed and administered... one can substantially ameliorate the problem. Case in point: coal. First - we should recognize that buggy whips are not coming back. Neither is coal. Until we acknowledge that, right out loud, the resulting policies will be compromised. And what do I mean by 'administered properly'? I mean... I'm skeptical of the fact that in the 'retraining' curriculum, there is a section for 'coal mining' - when the whole point is to REtrain folks.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Keith, it is a combination of angst on the part of the older white majority, trying to hold on with both hands to what they think is their privilege as white Alabamians to dictate over others, and fear of stepping up on the part of the older African-American community. For every Alabamian that marched in Selma there were thousands that thought those other folks were crazy for doing so, and that sooner or later something bad would come of it.

These people tend to be the lesser educated and lower paid people where you live, but they exist in a higher percentage here, in Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. What we need here is better education and better paying jobs. It is happening, but it's not happening fast enough to influence politics in the state just yet. My prayer is that one day we will reach the point where these things are no longer an issue for us.

Mickey Lake

So is there a rural vs urban component in Alabama? That seems to be a large part of it here; power and money and people have been moving to the cities from the countryside and smaller towns for 100 years. The reason that Minnesota has gone one way recently and Wisconsin other is almost entirely that we have one large city with the majority of the state's population, while Wisconsin has smaller cities and a slight majority of the population is outside them, so it tips the other way and you get Scott Walker. We have less of the traditional black-white thing, there not being many black folks, and almost none outside the city. There's a 'white folks vs everybody else' component, but that correlates very well with rural-urban too.
    Last edited by Keith Wilson; 12-07-2017 at 09:44 AM.

Richard Feynman

Effing trump and the coal miners can say whatever they want, but the world is moving on. Their irrelevant.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/12/07/ge-job-cuts/929888001/

“General Electric plans to cut 12,000 jobs in its power division as the industrial conglomerate's new CEO institutes sweeping changes and the company grapples with a decline in business for coal and natural gas products.”

https://inhabitat.com/airbus-siemens...lectric-plane/

“Hybrid-electric commercial planes could be a reality if Airbus, Rolls-Royce, and Siemens are successful. The three companies recently teamed up to work on the E-Fan X technology demonstrator that could hit the skies in around three years.”
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Faith doesnt reason. Resource depletion plus automation doesnt exactly define a growing labor sector.

But then, to shoot down my argument, recent polls have shown Moore's highest support in the Huntsville area, and Huntsville is supposed to have more people with post-grad degrees than any other city in the country, per capita. Something like 50% of the people who live in Madison County have an undergrad degree. But as some here have pointed out, Huntsville is dependent upon military and government money and I suppose that makes them staunchly Republican no matter the candidate. The Mobile/Baldwin area where I live contains about 500,000-600,000 people (about 13% of the total population of the state) and we look to be favoring Jones next Tuesday.

If I had to guess I would say that a vast majority of rural Alabamians will be voting for Moore.

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    If I had to guess I would say that a vast majority of rural Alabamians will be voting for Moore.
    Rural white Alabamians, I presume?

Richard Feynman

It will be interesting to see how the vote falls out. Needless to say, it will be scrutinized moreso than any I can remember.

Mickey Lake

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Mickey, what's your take on how itgot that way? I know some history, I can post charts and theorize, but I don't know people in Alabama. What happened?

This is what I fear:

I fear it's more about becoming a theocracy than a neonazi state.
    Moore's 10 commandment stunt and evangelicals overlooking all moral and creepy issues with Moore is IMHO disgustingly hypocritical.

Trump has been extremely successfully in producing the "Fake News Excuse", which I find akin to a husband getting caught by his wife in bed with another woman and simply saying "No, I wasn't you must be imagining it"

The issue we have is these evangelical nut jobs are putting together a disbelief that Trump / Pence are setting up for the rapture. This is one of the main cases for recognizing Jerusalem the capital of Israel. In biblical literal terms when that happens the second coming of Jesus will compel the Jews to recognize Jesus as the messiah and ascend into heaven during the rapture or perish in the flames of hell.

SERIOUSLY a lot of evangelicals belive this including our own VP.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Solution looks pretty clear for miner Mike. Greater employment in Pennsylvania would only happen with lower wages or he could move to Wyoming and retrain for a different job in coal related industry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coal..._United_States

The average heat content of mined US coal has declined over the years as higher-rank coal production (anthracite, and then bituminous coal) declined, and production of lower rank coal (Sub-bituminous and lignite) increased. The average heat content of US-mined coal decreased 21% from 1950 to 2016, and 6.8% in the 20 years from 1996 to 2016.[55]

Last edited by LeeG; 12-07-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bamamick View Post
    Everyone knows about what is happening in Alabama politics right now, I assume? You should see some of the Facebook threads that follow some of the editorials our state on-line newspaper (Al.com) posts. I don't want to get into a pi$$ing match with anyone on the internet, but you just want to slap/shake some of these people and tell them how bloody stoopid they are to their faces. 'Moore never did anything', 'it's all just fake news', 'he will help Trump drain the swamp' and on and on and on ad infinitum. You really have to ask yourself if these are beings of the same species sometimes, but sadly, it's the way things are.

The funniest/saddest thing I have seen lately are the attacks on Time magazine. Apparently Time and the Washington Post made up these stories and paid these women to act out these fantasies. It's all a conspiracy hatched by evil Democrats and Mitch McConnell to keep Moore from being Trump's side partner in making America great again.

I am ashamed and humiliated to share the same air these people are breathing.

Mickey Lake
    I've said for a over decade now, "You can't have a rational conversation with irrational people."
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    I fear it's more about becoming a theocracy than a neonazi state.
    Moore's 10 commandment stunt and evangelicals overlooking all moral and creepy issues with Moore is IMHO disgustingly hypocritical.

Trump has been extremely successfully in producing the "Fake News Excuse", which I find akin to a husband getting caught by his wife in bed with another woman and simply saying "No, I wasn't you must be imagining it"

The issue we have is these evangelical nut jobs are putting together a disbelief that Trump / Pence are setting up for the rapture. This is one of the main cases for recognizing Jerusalem the capital of Israel. In biblical literal terms when that happens the second coming of Jesus will compel the Jews to recognize Jesus as the messiah and ascend into heaven during the rapture or perish in the flames of hell.

SERIOUSLY a lot of evangelicals belive this including our own VP.
    I agree 100%, Joe. It's really disturbing. The prospect of Bethlehem in flames ... right around Christmas time even ... is seen by some as confirmation of the Trump administration's move. Because it brings a biblical-literalist's "Armageddon" that much closer.

In the meantime, for a bunch of Palestinians who are going to die due to this decision, these really are "last days." I can't begin to describe how angry and appalled I am by that.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

^^ interesting coincidence with your tag line there, John.

and the op seems rather long for an Onion article.. Damn.

Keith, how many rural _black_ Alabamians do you imagine get to vote?

He may be on to something. The "coal comeback" is probably going to come out of left field and surprise us. Right after the horse and buggy comeback we're seeing now.
    If one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.
    -Henry David Thoreau-

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yup. And Nope. If policies are properly designed and administered... one can substantially ameliorate the problem. Case in point: coal. First - we should recognize that buggy whips are not coming back. Neither is coal. Until we acknowledge that, right out loud, the resulting policies will be compromised. And what do I mean by 'administered properly'? I mean... I'm skeptical of the fact that in the 'retraining' curriculum, there is a section for 'coal mining' - when the whole point is to REtrain folks.
    I think I've identified a problem here.

“My administration is putting an end to the war on coal, going to have clean coal, really clean coal.”
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Mike Sylvester must be a True Trumpist since he still "has a lot of faith in" this lie -

“Let me tell you: the miners in West Virginia and Pennsylvania, which was so great to me last week and Ohio and all over, they’re going to start to work again, believe me. You’re going to be proud again to be miners.”

Speaking of lies, how's that wall coming along?

Heath care for everyone?

MAGA?

Maybe they're gonna build the wall out of coal. And hope that Mexican folks have forgotten that the stuff burns.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

If that coal miner had any sense, he wouldn't be a coal miner. He is responsible for our POS Trump.