Thread: Planking lakefield canoe.

Default Planking lakefield canoe.

Im here again! Looking for answers in Lakefield canoe building. Ive read many posts and commentaries about how the canoe is build ,but nobody explain how to taper the so narrow planks.I have a simple Peterborough plan offered by J. Ritter. Here he said the planks are 1 7/8" at station 0 and tapered to 1 1/4 at the stems, and they are 16 planks by side. It means the diference is 5/8 x 16 betwen the midle of the canoe and the stems developement = 10" and it is imposible!
    If somebody know about this canoe I will be very pleased to receive some explanation to taper the planks.
    Enrique.

Default Re: Planking lakefield canoe.

That's a good question for the guys over on the Wooden Canoe Heritage Association's forum. When the subject is old wooden canoes and how they were built, that's the best resource.

http://www.wcha.org/forums/index.php

OK Todd, thanks

Unless you are determined to make an authentic replica, why bother with a difficult process? There are other ways to deal with the change in girth from the center to the ends of a canoe. The wide planks might be difficult to work with because the strips tend to twist at the ends of the canoe, and wide strips take a lot more force than narrow ones.

If you can plane two strips to the taper that you need, you can use them as a template to do the rest. Stack 3-5 straight strips between the tapered strips, then plane them to match. It will not take long to get 32 strips tapered. I would measure the distance along the curve on each form before tapering. The change in plank width between adjacent forms is probably smaller in the center and will increas as you get closer to the ends.

I am not familiar with these canoes. Todd's advice to contact wcha is your best bet.
    http://sandycline.com/waussnodae/
    http://dragonflycanoe.com/id/lakefield.html
    Last edited by MN Dave; 12-08-2017 at 10:00 PM.
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by MN Dave View Post
    I am not familiar with these canoes.
    For those not familiar with Lakefield canoes, their construction,and their tapered planking:

canoe restoration cr.jpg

Canoe Restoration 2 cr.jpg

Lakefield 3.jpg