View Poll Results: Is it time for Al to bow out.

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 33.33%
  • No

14 66.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Al Franken toss in the towel and leave the senate?

Default Should Al Franken toss in the towel and leave the senate?

Maybe it's time, Al. Can you still do the job?
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Default Re: Should Al Franken toss in the towel and leave the senate?

My concern- from what I have seen, he seems targeted, and I don’t believe many of the accts. Republicans know he’s vulnerable; they want him gone. Hate to reward that; hate to set a successful precedent.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Too much hysteria. Too much rush to judgement. The topic has become fraught and confused. True accusations. False accusations. Accusations admitted, or acknowledged, or denied. How much of it is true, and how much is a cynical setup? Weaponized slurs... or exposure of cads of all sorts?

If someone admits his transgressions, and bows out... good. If they're truly remorseful... (as opposed to simply unable to refute the true charges)... they'll do more. Apologize sincerely. Make amends.

But if someone denies... then it should be investigated. If someone refuses to call the accusers liars (Franken), but ASKS for an investigation... do it. Don't jump the gun, and don't run off in all directions before the facts are in. We've been burned before by the James O'Keefe sorts of ambushes. We know the right makes it a practice to falsely accuse the left of doing the bad deeds that the right actually IS doing. Let's make sure this isn't happening here.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

In short. No. Longer, Al can still do the job.. _IF_ we get behind him.

Democrats need to recognize that to the repugs & baggers this _is_ war.. and Dems best put on their big boy pants, support their champions, & fight back.

They won't.. which is why the trogs win.

The 'moral high ground', when you're dead, is valueless. and dead is what the trogs & baggers are aiming for.

That's not rhetoric.

trogs and baggers
    Lol. Sounds like Wal-Mart at 2:00AM. Or a good name for a pub.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    In short. No. Longer, Al can still do the job.. _IF_ we get behind him.

Democrats need to recognize that to the repugs & baggers this _is_ war.. and Dems best put on their big boy pants, support their champions, & fight back.

They won't.. which is why the trogs win.

The 'moral high ground', when you're dead, is valueless. and dead is what the trogs & baggers are aiming for.

That's not rhetoric.
    what Bizarro world are Forumites living in...? as far as NPR is reporting it is a chorous of Democrat politicians with a renewed call for his resignation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    what Bizarro world are Forumites living in...? as far as NPR is reporting it is a chorous of Democrat politicians with a renewed call for his resignation.

Our bilge libs are made of sterner stuff then the average lib.. . It took them months to believe hillary lost.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

No, we know that! What is hard to believe is Trump didn't admit she won a majority of the popular vote! Still grates him like a cyst on his butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    Yet Republicans are all getting behind a guy who is known for hanging out in malls bird dogging kids.

You can't parody that.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    Our bilge libs are made of sterner stuff then the average lib.. . It took them months to believe hillary lost.
    Oh my gosh that was a zinger.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

You had to quote the fellow who can't tell the difference between 'winning' and election... and stealing one.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    You had to quote the fellow who can't tell the difference between 'winning' and election... and stealing one.

One should have more intergrity then to speak about one while hiding on the ignore feature.

Al Franken can totally get out of this.

All he has to do is switch parties.
    Tom

"Leave the gun, take the cannolis"

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post

<snort>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

My answer to the question posed by the thread, is to ask a different question:

"What is the difference between the charges leveled at Al Franken, and those leveled at Roy Moore and Donald Trump?"

If you can answer that question by explaining the difference, then I'll be happy to agree that Al Franken should resign.

bobbys, skyblue, care to explain?
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

I have thought, since the Franken thing first surfaced, that if we're going to have people resign based solely upon allegations... then we should go chronologically.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Maybe it's time, Al. Can you still do the job?
    Franken is still a vote. But I think he has lost all of his influence.

An answer to "if he should leave or not" seems to rest on what you want from him.

In politics as well as much of life you take allies as they are. I think he will resign.
    Life is complex.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmanuals View Post

Or become a priest.

Peace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    No, we know that! What is hard to believe is Trump didn't admit she won a majority of the popular vote! Still grates him like a cyst on his butt.
    Or one of those debilitating "bone spurs on his heel".
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Oh my gosh that was a zinger.
    Yeah, you gotta watch out for alvin. He can really dish out the gut crushers. He's brilliant.

LMAO
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    My answer to the question posed by the thread, is to ask a different question:

"What is the difference between the charges leveled at Al Franken, and those leveled at Roy Moore and Donald Trump?"

If you can answer that question by explaining the difference, then I'll be happy to agree that Al Franken should resign.

bobbys, skyblue, care to explain?
    You're asking the wrong people.

I gave you an answer on the other thread.

Resigned
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

So. Is it legitimate again to question whether Moore or Trump should hold public office? Or is it like gun control, and for Republican scuzzbags it's never the right time.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

<sigh>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t!
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    So. Is it legitimate again to question whether Moore or Trump should hold public office? Or is it like gun control, and for Republican scuzzbags it's never the right time.
    Considering the level of proof that was levied against Franken, I'd say that with certainty Trump should not be holding public office. I'm not certain whether the level of proof is equivalent for Moore regarding sexual assault. (Still somewhat of a "he said, she said" issue.) That said, there are many other reasons that Moore isn't qualified to hold office that are in the public record. If we, like Mitch McConnell, believe the women in Moore's case, he also should not hold office.

The thing that you have to recognize here is that Franken appears to have a conscience which led him to take this action. The other two? Well...
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

The Dems just screwed themselves
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t! Sh!t!

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Resigned
    From the Beeb as breaking news.
    Democratic Senator and ex-comedian Al Franken has said he plans to quit "in the coming weeks" after string of sexual harassment allegations.
    "I am proud that during my time in the Senate that I have used my power to be a champion of women," the Minnesota senator said from the US Senate floor.
    The announcement came after dozens of Democrats called on him to resign.
    The ex-comedian is the most prominent political figure to resign amid a wave of sexual misconduct allegations.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I'm a strong liberal that fully supports Franken stepping down. I liked him. He was important. But not so important as to get a free pass.

Either you don't believe the women, or he needs to step down. There is no moral way to have both in my opinion.

I know there is a strong urge to support your team, but it is more important to support victims all across this country.

Clean out the closets. There are only 100 senators in this land, we should easily be able to find that many people who are truly clean.

Moore and Trump need to go as well for the same reason.

[QUOTE=J.Madison;5416987]I'm a strong liberal that fully supports Franken stepping down. I liked him. He was important. But not so important as to get a free pass.

Either you don't believe the women, or he needs to step down. There is no moral way to have both in my opinion.

I know there is a strong urge to support your team, but it is more important to support victims all across this country.

Clean out the closets. There are only 100 senators in this land, we should easily be able to find that many people who are truly clean.

Moore and Trump need to go as well for the same reason.[/QUOTE]

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    I'm a strong liberal that fully supports Franken stepping down. I liked him. He was important. But not so important as to get a free pass.

Moore and Trump need to go as well for the same reason.
    You are not alone in that viewpoint: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ws&date=120717

But seriously... if we are going to go down this path... which I'm fine with... it needs to be with some order. I see the stakes as being too high - not for trivial partisan reasons, but because of the existential level of current threat to our 'Republic, if you can keep it' - for all the folks with a conscience, but a history of sexism, to abdicate, while leaving the troglodytes in place.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Resigned
    No he didn't. Not yet. He said he would in the coming weeks. Maybe.

But he did vote to move our embassy to Jerusalem.
    Last edited by mdh; 12-07-2017 at 12:34 PM.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

In spite of what Sen Killibrandt says, we do have degrees of crime, even murder, and we should have that discussion.

"high' ground, IMO, would require system or process.

Trump will remain, Moore will be elected, and Franken is out. 53% of white women voted for Trump. Moore's accusers claim to have voted for Trump.

What am I missing here?
    May be some rough water ahead. We're getting new captain.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    You are not alone in that viewpoint: http://www.esquire.com/news-politics...ws&date=120717

But seriously... if we are going to go down this path... which I'm fine with... it needs to be with some order. I see the stakes as being too high - not for trivial partisan reasons, but because of the existential level of current threat to our 'Republic, if you can keep it' - for all the folks with a conscience, but a history of sexism, to abdicate, while leaving the troglodytes in place.
    I'm all for order. We will develop a new social contract on how to handle these things in the future, but it won't come about in time to deal with the current crop of allegations.

If you're worried about leaving the trogs in place, acting the same as them doesn't really further the republic. I believe it actually hurts it. If there is even a hint of hypocrisy they (you know how) will latch onto it and use it to fully excuse their monsters. We've seen it already.

Take the high road I say. Not least because the victims and the sickness are very real.