Thread: Haven 12 mold bevelingi

Default Haven 12 mold bevelingi

Guys,
    Ive set up my molds on my Haven and was wondering if an established bevel angle at the shear is applicable to the whole mold/frame?
    Thanks

Default Re: Haven 12 mold bevelingi

Wouldn't beveling be required everywhere if it's required at the sheer? Depending on your build method you may not need to bevel at all if your forms are on the midships, or widest beam, side of the sections.

I’m beveling all the frames except a single mold amidships. My question is, does the one bevel angle stay the same from shear to bilge on each mold?

Not usually.

Pictures of your setup might be helpful. I used a batten to determine all the angles on my molds.

On my ALASKA I had the benefit of sheer clamps, risers, stem and transom up before starting to bevel. I believe I beveled the risers and clamps first which gave me a starting point with the batten.
    Someone familiar with your build will be more helpful.

CONSTRUCTION.jpg

No they will vary slightly but you can use battens to get an idea of the angle required. Lay them on forward to aft and at a slope to see which piece of the mould needs to come off. This is all governed by which side of the station line you installed the mounds of course. If the mounds are fitted on the bow/stern side of station you need to bevel them but conversely if fitted to mid ships side of station line then they wont need bevelling, but your planking will just touch a pointed piece of edge of mould.

A trick that worked for me on small boats - not large - takes advantage of the fact that from amidships forward the back outer corner of the frame should be at the correct place while aft of amidships is the forward corner. So I made a screw in rod that went out from my plane and matched the plane (sorry for the pun) of the bottom. So I could just let the plane ride along with the rod on the next frame forward or aft and it would take the changing bevel itself.

It was with great pleasure that I once saw Ross and Nat (Gannon&Benjamin) shaping a large frame on their very big ship's saw. The frame was fully lofted and all bevels were marked. One fed the piece while the other adjusted the blade angle in a continuous smooth operation. Very cool.

Funny, I was just watching a video on yutube about building a haven. The guy was steam-bending white oak frames around the molds. Will your construction method be different?
    Will you strip-plank and put frames in later?

Anyway, I doubt the angle would be the same as at the sheer everywhere else. In some places it will be greater than in others.

Good luck. That's quite a bench in the background!

Mike
    "near it, a small whale-boat, painted red and blue, the delight of the king's old age."

Yesterday I experimented with a steam box in anticipation of bending the frames after I bevel the molds. It worked swell but you have to take notice of the grain direction and runout. I broke two before I watched a YouTube video.

The workbench is from plans the Samuari Carpenter's website. Great YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by zzkelford View Post
    Guys,
    Ive set up my molds on my Haven and was wondering if an established bevel angle at the shear is applicable to the whole mold/frame?
    Thanks
    Think about it. Of course the bevel at the sheer does not apply to the entire mold (with the possible exception of amidships). The bevel at the sheer well forward might be - I dunno - 25 degrees. It may be nearly zero at the keel on the same mold. It is possible to derive station bevels from the loft. If you have not done that, you'll have to prove the bevels out on the molds with battens - long enough to cover 3 or so molds - far as you can stretch your arms. You can ball park it by hand scribing a diminishing bevel line from the sheer to the keel. That is the general trend of the matter. But you will have to fine tune it with battens.

I do however commend you for setting out to bevel your molds in the first place, a proper job. I presume you have the molds on the correct side of the station line.
    Eric

Good input Eric. With all these comments I’m starting to get a clearer picture of the procedure.
    you guys are great!

Edit to add:
    The mold bevels might go nearly to zero at the keel in the forward half of the boat - the rabbet profile probably indicates there are greater station bevels along the keel aft as it tucks up to the transom.

Lofted profile gives you a close call for station bevels along the keel. Lofted half breadth, only roughly speaking at the sheer. Accurate bevels do not come off of the sheer, waterline, and station intersections in lofted half breadth. The problem is more interesting and complex than that.

Good luck with battens on your set up.
    Eric