Thread: LA Auto Show

Default LA Auto Show

This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Default Re: LA Auto Show

Please report back. I'll be in the market soon.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Yeah, find me a wagon (not a crossover) that my wife WON'T want to "borrow".
    A boatless inlander, searching for the meaning of life-aground.

Click on the opening photo for a better look:

http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...202-story.html
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Yeah, find me a wagon (not a crossover) that my wife WON'T want to "borrow".

Jeff C

Jeff, I hear you, but this one needs to be a "company car" and I don't know of anyone leasing squarebacks

With that NSX GT3, Acura may finally have answered the question: Is it possible to have TOO MUCH carbon fiber?

Having left some carbon fibre bits in the sun for a couple of years, I wonder if this NSX GT3 comes with a car cover.... to be used at all times when stationary

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

The most interesting new car was the Kia stinger The boosted mill develops a healthy 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque and is lashed to a Kia-built eight-speed automatic. Base Stingers are powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four that makes 255 horses and 260 lb-ft and is also mated to the eight-speed auto.

Oh and they had the electric BMW scooter

I think I mentioned the Stinger in another thread recently. Some talented folks on the design team. Some similarities with one of the current hot Alfa Romeos too, I think. Worth considering.

That Ford GT looks good. Far more tasteful design than that damn Corvette convertible at the show. It looks like someone took an axe to the clay model... and then the attacked model made it to production.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    The most interesting new car was the Kia stinger The boosted mill develops a healthy 365 horsepower and 376 lb-ft of torque and is lashed to a Kia-built eight-speed automatic. Base Stingers are powered by a turbocharged 2.0-liter inline-four that makes 255 horses and 260 lb-ft and is also mated to the eight-speed auto.

Oh and they had the electric BMW scooter

Thanks for the great review and fantastic photos!

I've been watching Maserati's doing test drive cookies in pay for park lots all week cruising by on my express bus.

Muchas Gracias for the inside views!

...will be using a couple of killer photos as screen savers! That beemer must get your juices going!
    Please don't dominate the rap Jack, if you've got nothing new to say.

Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    Kia-built eight-speed automatic.
    This is a pretty big deal. ZF dominates the market for this type of gearbox right now and there's starting to be some worries about their supply chain. Chrysler just built a new plant to manufacturer their own version of the ZF8 under license - partly to alleviate supply chain worries and partly to accommodate an awd version that can handle more than 517 ft pounds of torque. (the limit of the zf tranny)

Ford and GM also currently use the ZF transmission but are jointly developing a new sequential automatic that will have ten speeds and will be manufactured in Detroit.

These transmissions are one way that allows cars to increase their fuel milage drastically.
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 12-07-2017 at 07:44 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    I think I mentioned the Stinger in another thread recently. Some talented folks on the design team. Some similarities with one of the current hot Alfa Romeos too, I think. Worth considering.

That Ford GT looks good. Far more tasteful design than that damn Corvette convertible at the show. It looks like someone took an axe to the clay model... and then the attacked model made it to production.
    Yes... the video game/bleeding edge school of design. Yeechhhh.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    This is a pretty big deal. ZF dominates the market for this type of gearbox right now and there's starting to be some worries about their supply chain. Chrysler just built a new plant to manufacturer their own version of the ZF8 under license - partly to alleviate supply chain worries and partly to accommodate an awd version that can handle more than 517 ft pounds of torque. (the limit of the zf tranny)

Ford and GM also currently use the ZF transmission but are jointly developing a new sequential automatic that will have ten speeds and will be manufactured in Detroit.

These transmissions are one way that allows cars to increase their fuel milage drastically.
    I had read that. Nice development.

The Kia Stinger looks like a great bargain. Lotta car... but shows its budget role in a couple of slightly jarring ways. I bet version two will nail it.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Merc wagon.... The last generation of their interiors (let's stab an ipad into the dashboard) really didn't work for me, but there is some drool-factor at work there.

The mazda.... ooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The VW van... Yeah, go ahead, take my money. I'm in.

What bothers me about auto shows is that I get all excited about the latest concept car and then it never goes into production. Some are just pie-in-the-sky fantasy, but some are entirely within reach and never get built. It frustrates me.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    What bothers me about auto shows is that I get all excited about the latest concept car and then it never goes into production. Some are just pie-in-the-sky fantasy, but some are entirely within reach and never get built. It frustrates me.
    True. That's always been an irksome problem.

It's also true that 'concepts' are getting to market now more than ever. Never 100% pure versions... but increasingly true to the original notion. I don't really know whether that's because the 'concept' cars are being created with a more practical, 'this could go to production', approach... or because the makers are getting more adventuresome... or???
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

I'm a bit jaded about auto shows these days. Paul want to go to the Detroit one, so we'll probably go. Hopefully we'll do this during the industry days. I abhor going during the public days.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    Merc wagon.... The last generation of their interiors (let's stab an ipad into the dashboard) really didn't work for me, but there is some drool-factor at work there.

The mazda.... ooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The VW van... Yeah, go ahead, take my money. I'm in.
    They make that Merc waggon in an AMG version

I wish I took a photo of the BMW 760M V12 Sedan
    602 bhp Bi Turbo V-12 it was very Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde

kat I'm the same with boat shows. absolutely.

Also by the way I saw the new Tesla Model 3 in person - Not sure if it will ever come off the production line But damn its a sexy $40-50K car IMHOP and I might be the buyer in the next 3-5 years.

In contrast the Chevy Volt & Bolt are just ugly sorry.

Given the rate at which Tesla are burning cash it might be best to have a plan B.The VW bus seems to have been a concept forever-will it ever happen?Agree that the Ford GT is a very good looking car and that the NSX exposes too much carbon.

I bought my daughter corolla., she moved to napa and needed a good car, i told her pick out anyone on the lot..