Thread: guns again!

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Default guns again!

Oh goody!

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Republican-led House is weighing a bill to make it easier for gun owners to legally carry concealed weapons across state lines, the first gun legislation in Congress since mass shootings in Nevada and Texas killed more than 80 people.
    The bill would allow gun owners with a state-issued concealed-carry permit to carry a handgun in any state that allows concealed weapons. Republicans said the reciprocity measure would allow gun owners to travel freely between states without worrying about conflicting state laws or civil suits.

Default Re: guns again!

I of course don't think it a good idea in itself, but it would create a precedent for Federal legislation overruling State laws in the matter of firearms in general.

i like it. it's ridiculous to have varied CCL restrictions across state lines and not recognize a permit from one state and arrest someone.

reminds me of a story a few years back about a vet flying cross country. he had legally brought his weapon to the airport, had it checked, paperwork and all. his connection flight got bumped in NY and they sent them to hotels with their baggage. when he came back to the airport he tried to tell them about his weapon he had and they arrested him for having it with no NY license to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    i like it. it's ridiculous to have varied CCL restrictions across state lines and not recognize a permit from one state and arrest someone.

reminds me of a story a few years back about a vet flying cross country. he had legally brought his weapon to the airport, had it checked, paperwork and all. his connection flight got bumped in NY and they sent them to hotels with their baggage. when he came back to the airport he tried to tell them about his weapon he had and they arrested him for having it with no NY license to carry.
    I thought you righties loved State's rights or is this issue based Alan? You want it, on a personal level so states' rights should be ignored. Having your cake and eating it too!How convenient for you!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    I thought you righties loved State's rights or is this issue based Alan? You want it, on a personal level so states' rights should be ignored. Having your cake and eating it too!How convenient for you!

yawn. get better material.

yawn. get better material.
    Most links say Republicans support State Rights. If a state next to yours has a law that says XYZ guns are not allowed, your saying a having a gun gives you the right to take it into that state. As I said, Wanting your cake and desperately wanting to eat it too. You can't have it both ways or you shouldn't. You can't pock and choose!

That’s not what Alan said nor what the news clip offered. By your thinking I should be required to get a driver’s license for each state I drive through. All it really says is that if your state allows concealed carry and I have a concealed carry permit issued by my state, it should be valid in your state. If your state does not offer cc permits then my permit would not allow me to carry in your state. Nothing more....nothing less.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepen View Post
    That’s not what Alan said nor what the news clip offered. By your thinking I should be required to get a driver’s license for each state I drive through. All it really says is that if your state allows concealed carry and I have a concealed carry permit issued by my state, it should be valid in your state. If your state does not offer cc permits then my permit would not allow me to carry in your state. Nothing more....nothing less.
    A drivers' license is legal in EVERY state! Gun laws differ in every state. NY used to have sunset laws, If you weren't 18 years old, you could not drive in NY City but, every where else in the state you could but, not after sunset.. I couldn't drive in NY city. Horsepen.Alan is saying that even IF the state didn't allow guns of a certain caliber, even having a license from another state, he should be allowed to against state law in the state he's going to..

I don't think the gun fancy really want to compare interstate concealed carry with driving - There are basic national standards that matter even for the private auto and get actually serious if you have your CDL. If we had meaningful federal standards for concealed carry that each state was required to enforce, some of the outrage that we who live in states with rational and effective gun control feel about the NRA's agenda here might be diminished.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I don't think the gun fancy really want to compare interstate concealed carry with driving - There are basic national standards that matter even for the private auto and get actually serious if you have your CDL. If we had meaningful federal standards for concealed carry that each state was required to enforce, some of the outrage that we who live in states with rational and effective gun control feel about the NRA's agenda here might be diminished.
    speaking much and saying little
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.
    Personal failures are too important to be trusted to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Allen View Post
    speaking much and saying little
    Is this based on your own experience PA? Looks like it!

Quote Originally Posted by S.V. Airlie View Post
    Is this based on your own experience PA? Looks like it!
    Hi Jamie... chasing your fetish still, I see...
    The doctrine of nonresistance against arbitrary power, and oppression, is absurd, slavish, and destructive of the good and happiness of mankind.

Hi Jamie... chasing your fetish still, I see...
    Go find something on UTUBE PA.

If we have to have guns in society, I agree. The compromise should be that there is a federal law created to mandate a process like CT has for getting a permit. My town, the state, and the feds had to each sign off on the fact that I was a law abiding individual in order for me to get a CCL. The process took three months. It should be a federal crime, punishable by a mandatory 10 years in prison, if an unregistered individual is carrying a firearm, life if they commit a crime with that firearm. Mandatory insurance, and all adults in the household should have to get permitted and be required to take a 20 hour gun safety class.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    I like it...
    This would be a good start, to put the same requirements for gun ownership as a CDL.
    Require a homeland security check on your birth certificate/SS number to start the process to qualify for the written test (100 questions, some very technical) Then before you can take the actual driving test you have to pass a comprehensive medical physical and for the license to remain valid repeat that every two years.

The "story" has all the earmarks of an urban legend.
    “What, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    If we have to have guns in society, I agree. The compromise should be that there is a federal law created to mandate a process like CT has for getting a permit. My town, the state, and the feds had to each sign off on the fact that I was a law abiding individual in order for me to get a CCL. The process took three months. It should be a federal crime, punishable by a mandatory 10 years in prison, if an unregistered individual is carrying a firearm, life if they commit a crime with that firearm. Mandatory insurance, and all adults in the household should have to get permitted and be required to take a 20 hour gun safety class.
    why do we need such draconian punishments?... they use much less in England (comes across to me as revenge sentencing)

why do we need such draconian punishments?... they use much less in England (comes across to me as revenge sentencing)
    Because death is so easy?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Because death is so easy?
    emotional ploy? revenge for sure

Do you get emotional over death?

It is like gravity, it happens to everything. Do you get emotional about that?

Anger. So angry with gun owners he bought a gun.

You Phillip are very mellow. I don’t worry about you having guns. Angry people with guns... kinda scary.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".