Thread: The Most Precious Bronze Age Artefacts Were Made With Cosmic Materials

Default The Most Precious Bronze Age Artefacts Were Made With Cosmic Materials

The Most Precious Bronze Age Artefacts Were Made With Cosmic Materials (ARTICLE LINK)

Image: Daniela Comelli

Excerpt
    According to a new study, it's possible that all iron-based weapons and tools of the Bronze Age were forged using metal salvaged from meteorites. The finding has given experts a better insight into how these tools were created before humans worked out how to produce iron from its ore.

While previous studies had found specific Bronze Age objects to be made from meteoric metal like one of the daggers buried with King Tutankhamun this latest research answers the question of just how widespread the practice was.

Albert Jambon, from the National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS) in France, studied museum artefacts from Egypt, Turkey, Syria, and China, analysing them using an X-Ray Fluorescence Spectrometer to discover they all shared the same off-world origins.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: The Most Precious Bronze Age Artefacts Were Made With Cosmic Materials

I came across the same thing when I was looking at the history of the Kris - the Javanese dagger that we wore as part of the traditional costume at the wedding in Indonesia a few weeks back. Meteorites weren't the exclusive metal, but were folded into other steel to give this effect

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Default Re: The Most Precious Bronze Age Artefacts Were Made With Cosmic Materials

Maybe that's why iron was considered to be magical in ancient tradition - the horseshoe over the door, cold iron proof against anything supernatural. They were probably right. We now have iron everywhere - zillions of steel nails holding our houses together, steel ductwork, steel conduit, iron pipes,, all large buildings with intricate steel frames, riding around in spiffy steel self-propelled carriages - and nobody's seen a leprechaun or a fairy or a boggart or even a demon for a century or longer. They can't stand cold iron, I tell you; they're gone, all gone, no more to be seen, for iron, cold iron, shall be master of them all.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Maybe that's why iron was considered to be magical in ancient tradition - the horseshoe over the door, cold iron proof against anything supernatural. They were probably right. We now have iron everywhere - zillions of steel nails holding our houses together, steel ductwork, steel conduit, iron pipes,, all large buildings with intricate steel frames, riding around in spiffy steel self-propelled carriages - and nobody's seen a leprechaun or a fairy or a boggart or even a demon for a century or longer. They can't stand cold iron, I tell you; they're gone, all gone, no more to be seen, for iron, cold iron, shall be master of them all.
    Also, Iron can be formed into the most beautiful objects, a vast source, to allow human manipulation. When incorporated with wood, bone, glass the combinations are endless.
    PaulF