Page 1 of 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: We should be ashamed.

Default We should be ashamed.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...r-kids-n824536

For years I heard rabid anti-immgrans claim that we were not breaking up families, despite that I have personally know 3 families broken up due to deportations. Lately, they don't even bother denying it.

What the hell is wrong with us?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Default Re: We should be ashamed.

I think you know the answer to that.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Oh, you bought their lies? Silly man.
    "Please be more specific or we'll choose to order a cheaper bilge-rat to replace you."

~seanz

"Besides being in the country without authorization, ......However, before entering the country illegally in 2001"

What is it about "without authorization", and "entering the country illegally" don't you understand?

You be ashamed, peb. I'll stick with the rule of law.

Compassion is a b*tch, we need to sort and encourage legal immigration, Nobel prize winners come to mind as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    You be ashamed, peb. I'll stick with the rule of law.
    You are defending aerosols that would do this?
    Because she was in the country without authorization, the mother of four was detained and slated for removal from the U.S. Just over a week later, Casillas was back in Mexico, a country she had not seen in nearly 20 years, with only her jeans and the shirt on her back — and no legal way to reunite with her family.
    But that prior entry meant that, this year, her case qualified for an “expedited removal” — so she fell into a class of people who can be deported without access to immigration courts or lawyers.After being detained, Casillas was held in a local jail, then a county jail, before being flown to Laredo, Texas, with other deportees. U.S. immigration agents walked her across the bridge to Nuevo Laredo, and then left her there alone.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/latino/...r-kids-n824536

For years I heard rabid anti-immgrans claim that we were not breaking up families, despite that I have personally know 3 families broken up due to deportations. Lately, they don't even bother denying it.

What the hell is wrong with us?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk
    when you say that, you really mean, "what the hell is wrong with republicans?" Right???
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    when you say that, you really mean, "what the hell is wrong with republicans?" Right???
    They might have thought it up, but the salaried goons were aerosols enough to do it.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

what is wrong with policy based on bigotry, ignorance and fear? It’s what Murica voted for.

you would defend these guys?
    I don't have to. They swore an oath to support the Constitution and to uphold the laws of the United States. They're doing their duty. It's nice to see for a change.

For decades we have sent poor people to jail because they cannot pay bail or minor fines. Where was your compassion?
    Life is complex.

They don't care. They want to be seen as caring.

I don't have to. They swore an oath to support the Constitution and to uphold the laws of the United States. They're doing their duty. It's nice to see for a change.
    Only when it suits your agenda, otherwise it's fake laws.

Why so stupid ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by GregH View Post
    "Besides being in the country without authorization, ......However, before entering the country illegally in 2001"

What is it about "without authorization", and "entering the country illegally" don't you understand?
    At two yrs old, would you even know what authorization was? So you blame the parent instead, Brilliant!

Looks like the holier than thou crowd is looking for an excuse to mash the button.

So SB what do you think of DT's respect for the rule of law??

Yes, we should.

'Rule of law' is a copout. A dodge. Sophistry from the usual suspects. The laws are what we make them. Government is what we choose. The administration of those laws is often a judgement call. When it becomes otherwise... we change it. It's time for some change.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

It's a culture war.

They are against immigrants, particularly the hard working. They are against education. The more educated you are, the more they hate you. They are against science. Thye are against research and development.

They are for the landed. They are for the lucky sperm.

It's not hard to pick a side.

I am compassionate but there is the issue of being here 20 years in this country under false SS ID and other paperwork. I know the cost of of getting a lawyer and becoming legal is a difficult one for many of this folks. I hope the woman is united with her family soon and that she gets things squared away soon so she can return to her home of 20 years

The real problem is not the illegal immigration but illegal hiring processes where corporations, companies and individuals knowingly hire illegals without much penalty and have much up side. If knowingly hiring illegal aliens was a felony and had minimum guideline sentencing these heart breaking events may not have happened so frequently.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

That’s actually been done- by Obama, enforcing laws already on the books- and was very successful, with an exodus of illegals,as the word got out- until the Republicans complained, and enforcement was curtailed. Surprised?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

When you elect people unable to see grey, this is what you get.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

FWIW by every economic metric immigration grows the economy and strengthens a society. This must fall along Culture War lines that Hugh pointed out.

Why be stupid ?

"Because she was in the country without authorization, the mother of four was detained and slated for removal from the U.S. Just over a week later, Casillas was back in Mexico, a country she had not seen in nearly 20 years,"
    If she had stayed there this wouldn't be a problem now, would it?

Mr Potter, wipe the soot from your besmirched soul.

Peb: Yes, we should be ashamed. The government of our country is doing terrible harm to innocent people, harm that provides no conceivable benefit to our county or anyone in it. But it's not symmetrical. For the past 20 or 30 years, one political faction has both encouraged and benefited from anti-immigrant hatred, in a particularly vicious feedback loop. They have both fueled and profited from a nasty mix of know-nothing nationalism, xenophobia, religious prejudice, and racism. Not to rub your nose in it too much, but the current problem is the party you've generally supported (for other reasons, to be fair).

It's nothing new; the US has suffered from periodic spasms of anti-immigrant *ssholery ever since the Irish started arriving after the famine, through the Chinese Exclusion laws, the KKK and the Immigration Act of 1924, and now Trump. It's the US at our very worst - pompous, self-righteous, cruel, ignorant, stupid, and uncaring. You can see precisely this in many of the responses to this thread. I'm not responding to them because I would probably say things that would get me banned.

Now reasonable people can differ about immigration policy. But this kind of pointless cruelty is not about immigration, it's pure hatred and spite.. And to be entirely honest, to stop it we have to drive the current barking-mad Republican party far, far from any position anywhere near power. When that happens, maybe we can have responsible conservatives again. They're working diligently at it themselves; much more of this sh!t and nobody named Gonzalez or Guzman will vote Republican this century. We could use your help.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I'll stick with the rule of law.
    The thing about 'sticking with the rule of law' is that the law can (and does) change.

So one day, you might come here and say, "I'll stick with the rule of law," and later, you may come here and say, "We must change this law!"

I'm not saying we should disregard the law, but I am saying that people should not use obedience to the law as fig leaf to cover up the true nature and root of their feelings.

I can point at quite a few Republicans who temporarily set aside their devotion to obeying the law when Cliven Bundy and his ilk were brazenly flouting the law.

More like disgusted with the cruelty of this administrative cult. I'm surprised some of you didn't see it coming, or approve of it now that it's being carried out.

They exist to flaunt all decency and humanity, not to mention common sense, every time. War is Peace.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

The deplorables came out in strength on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    The deplorables came out in strength on this thread.
    Rest easy in the knowledge that you're a better human being than some of us, all for simply subscribing to the right values. Congratulations.

I will gladly do so. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I will gladly do so. Thank you.
    You're welcome. It is amazing how one can be superior to other human beings simply for thinking the right thoughts and making the proper public expressions.

It's so easy, you'd think we'd see more of it.

Bluey go to bed you need your rest.

You're welcome. It is amazing how one can be superior to other human beings simply for thinking the right thoughts and making the proper public expressions.

It's so easy, you'd think we'd see more of it.
    Well Hillary did win the popular vote.