Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What homemade gifts are you building this year?

Default Re: What homemade gifts are you building this year?

I just finished this three-stringed cigar box slide guitar for my wife's uncle. It's the second one I've built. He plays guitar and loves Blues music. Even if he never plays it, it'll look cool on the wall of his home studio.

-Trevor

Last edited by CK 17; 12-07-2017 at 01:07 PM.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by CK 17 View Post
    Drink all of that and you would be sideways!
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Posting pictures today is driving me to drink. It seems that I can post one sideways, or one upright and one sideways, but not just one upright. Anyway, my wife is the vintner and brewer. I’m the tester.

What are the gizmos at the tops?
    "Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast." - Alice

Quote Originally Posted by John of Phoenix View Post
    What are the gizmos at the tops?
    Air locks
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

John, to expand on Kat's minimalist - albeit correct - answer, The fermenting beer/cider/wine gives off CO2 which must escape the bottle, but you don't want dirty, spore-laden room air to get in. The water-trap air lock (pic below) has an inverted cup over a spigot in a cup with water in it. As the gas in the bottle expands it lifts the inverted cup until some of the gas escapes under the perforated lip of the upturned cup, which promptly settles back down on the spigot and the water prevents any outside air from getting in the bottle. You can tell when fermentation is pretty much complete when you stop hearing the regular 'plip...plip' of the inverted cup plopping back down on the spigot.

As for the PVC tube smartphone amplifier, that is pretty cool, in a steampunk sort of way.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

That's some mighty fine H2.... er ETOH ya got going there. What types?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

ďWhat, Me Worry?". -. A. E. Newman

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    Tenor uke for my oldest boy.

Attachment 6872
    Very cool!

My next home built instrument will likely be a banjo uke (banjolele). I found a vintage calf skin tambourine that I've pulled the jingle bits from and I plan to convert it over. It's the learning instrument before I go on to build a Appalachian mountain style banjo.

Trevor

Bottle stoppers and some smoked goods bacon,cheese,salami and orange lonzino.

bottle stoppers 003 (800x600).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    That's some mighty fine H2.... er ETOH ya got going there. What types?
    A Malbec, old vine Zinfandel and a Cabernet. Off to the right, out of the picture, we’re setting up to brew 12 gallons of double IPA.

Quote Originally Posted by trefor View Post
    Very cool!

My next home built instrument will likely be a banjo uke (banjolele). I found a vintage calf skin tambourine that I've pulled the jingle bits from and I plan to convert it over. It's the learning instrument before I go on to build a Appalachian mountain style banjo.

Trevor
    Banjolele? So, four or five string? Banjo or uke tuning? I play both, but for some time Iíve been partial to the uke. They fingerpick the same way, you know?
    I made a fretless, wood topped banjo some years ago. I still got the drawings, including the scale for the frets, which I marked, but didnít install. Just marked. It was cool. Very soft sound.

Pwace,
    Robert

Quote Originally Posted by amish rob View Post
    Banjolele? So, four or five string? Banjo or uke tuning? I play both, but for some time I’ve been partial to the uke. They fingerpick the same way, you know?
    I made a fretless, wood topped banjo some years ago. I still got the drawings, including the scale for the frets, which I marked, but didn’t install. Just marked. It was cool. Very soft sound.

Pwace,
    Robert
    Yup! Four strings, same tuning as an uke - gCEA. You can even play it clawhammer, the little g acts like the drone string on a five string banjo. I am planning to make mine in concert or tenor uke scale. I have an inexpensive store-bought soprano I've been playing since Fathers Day. It's fun, but I'd like something with a little more room on the neck, only tuned the same way. Also, the banjo-ish sound will be more fun when camping in the hills of SW Missouri and NW Arkansas.

I bet your banjo is neat. I like the sound of them, at least the ones I've seen YouTube vids of. I also really like older backless banjos with no resonator. The simpler the build, the better.

-Trevor

Quote Originally Posted by trefor View Post
    Yup! Four strings, same tuning as an uke - gCEA. You can even play it clawhammer, the little g acts like the drone string on a five string banjo. I am planning to make mine in concert or tenor uke scale. I have an inexpensive store-bought soprano I've been playing since Fathers Day. It's fun, but I'd like something with a little more room on the neck, only tuned the same way. Also, the banjo-ish sound will be more fun when camping in the hills of SW Missouri and NW Arkansas.

I bet your banjo is neat. I like the sound of them, at least the ones I've seen YouTube vids of. I also really like older backless banjos with no resonator. The simpler the build, the better.

-Trevor
    I prefer the concert size for bluegrass type stuff, because it retains more of the twangy charm, yet has more room for my spider hands.
    The tenor is nice, too, but very ďwarmĒ relatively speaking. I want the twang.

You can play it clawhammer... Shoo, donít I know. You can also root your pinky and pluck just like a banjo. Itís the top string that allows the cross over techniques.

My favorite song to play on the uke is Rocky Top. Toss a few rolls in here and there, and it sounds like something not too terrible. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. The banjo was open backed, with an 1/8Ē cedar top and ash body/neck. It was octagonal in shape, with a through neck. I miss it.

Daughter is getting the last of four built highchairs, too many grandchildren to keep making them. And they all get jarred spaghetti sauce from the gardens san marzano tomatoes.

Anyway, my wife is the vintner and brewer. Iím the tester.
    Good to see someone has their priorities right!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I prefer the concert size for bluegrass type stuff, because it retains more of the twangy charm, yet has more room for my spider hands.
    The tenor is nice, too, but very “warm” relatively speaking. I want the twang.

You can play it clawhammer... Shoo, don’t I know. You can also root your pinky and pluck just like a banjo. It’s the top string that allows the cross over techniques.

My favorite song to play on the uke is Rocky Top. Toss a few rolls in here and there, and it sounds like something not too terrible. Hehe.

Peace,
    Robert

P.S. The banjo was open backed, with an 1/8” cedar top and ash body/neck. It was octagonal in shape, with a through neck. I miss it.
    I've not played a concert or tenor, before. I'm pretty new to the soprano and playing anything at all. Had some guitar lessons about 15 years ago, but they are long lost. I've been plinking around on the uke, daily, since Fathers Day and loving it. I've added in the cigar box guitar for some grit - fretless and slide only. A lot of fun, even made one from a bottle neck. Planning to build a cigar box amp and add a pickup to mine after Christmas. Like boats, there's a lot to learn about when making and playing instruments. Same kinda mental combo of stimulus and relaxation.

Cool about the banjo!

-Trevor

This time of year it seems everything takes way more time than you expect. Plus I have to work on it when she isnít home. As beautiful as the one in my OP is, Iíve decided to make the bottom of this one with a laminate that matches the countertops on the boat where it will be used. But the sides are black walnut, a little more sanding, staining and finish then final assembly.

7C32AB23-2984-47AC-AFD3-8F1410F16BD7.jpg

Nice work, Ron! I'm going to steal your idea, next year.

My kid's uke still needs binding, fretboard and bridge, but those won't take long:

UKULELE WITH TOP ON.jpg

He works with sea urchins, so the rosette inlay is supposed to look kind of like one. (The messy bit at the top will be covered by the wenge fretboard)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Taylor View Post
    Nice work, Ron! I'm going to steal your idea, next year.

My kid's uke still needs binding, fretboard and bridge, but those won't take long:

UKULELE WITH TOP ON.jpg

He works with sea urchins, so the rosette inlay is supposed to look kind of like one. (The messy bit at the top will be covered by the wenge fretboard)
    Oh, my.

Peace,
    Robert

Oh, my.

Peace,
    Robert
    Yeah. Makes my little serving tray seem kind of pitiful.

PC110118.jpg

PC110116.jpg

But I may redo the bottom one .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

My lovely lady has written me a book every Xmas but one, that year she drew an amazing "portrait" of my little doglet, so this year I have written her a wee book. This will most likely be her last Xmas on this earth so I thought that it was about my turn.

It is titled "The Lucky Man"
    Bald, ugly, not too bright but incredibly sexy in an unattractive sort of way....