Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Now, Trump (and his son-in-law) just might explode the Middle East

Default Re: Now, Trump (and his son-in-law) just might explode the Middle East

Looks like Trump just put a bullseye on his properties and associations.
    This kind of distraction will get people killed.

https://www.juancole.com/2017/12/ano...jerusalem.html

Do any of you think Trump would do this without approval from Netanyahu? Why now?
    Last edited by Boater14; 12-06-2017 at 10:28 AM.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Boater14 View Post
    Do an6 of you think Trump would do this without approval from Netanyahu? Why now?
    Simple, who is protesting, Muslims! If they turn to violence, who will Trump blame and will say, "I told you so, see!"

How’s that fit into Bibi’s plans? Dead Israelis resulting from trumps promise to American evangelicals doesn’t sound like a winner for him to me.

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

How’s that fit into Bibi’s plans? Dead Israelis resulting from trumps promise to American evangelicals doesn’t sound like a winner for him to me.
    Like a glove! Not OJ's though!

Answer isn’t an answer. Given that the change on Jerusalem could result in violence and dead Israelis, what now is in this for Bibi. If you have no clue that’s ok. Neither did I.

It's ideological, in the same way that building settlements is ideological. Bibi doesn't mind the impending violence, because Israel is the regional superpower. It will be argued that the violence will have been initiated by Palestinians and etc., justifying Israeli responses. However over-the-top the Israeli responses. Frankly, further consolidation of Israel as a military state is in Bibi's interest, and that of his cadre.

In many ways this isn't a different dynamic, wherever the authoritarian state's located geographically. Military conflict is a great way to consolidate power - particularly when it expands (or at least protects) your state's domestic borders. Putin's proved that this is still operative in Eastern Europe, and Kim Jong Un is seeking to prove a variant. Heck, W got a huge bounce in popularity in America after 9/11, for all that he squandered it.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I'll take "Armageddon" for $500, Alex.

You must have missed it when nancy said it happened with the tax bill.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

You must have missed it when nancy said it happened with the tax bill.
    She's not the literalist I am.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Ok but I don’t think a lot of blood will seem acceptable if it’s seen as resulting from the American President delivering on a campaign promise to guys on bar stools at the VFW In Beckley WV. Sure further solidifies the Arab world when we need friends in the epic battle against Iran.

Quote Originally Posted by Arizona Bay View Post
    TRMP can always be counted on to do the worst possible thing when it comes to anyone other than himself.

I think it's interesting that SCOTUS just yesterday allowed the full implimentation of the Muslim travel ban to take effect.

More winning!

Well, the moron king went and did it. There will be protests. People will die. The blood will be on Trump's hands alone. He will not care. He is immoral.
    But, it will delight his base, the radicalized right wing branch of the GOP.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

This is just another nail in the coffin, in relations with Europe, and our allies.

So... what's the thought? Is this just another moronic move - or is tRump just that desperate to distract from Mueller/Russia?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    Well, the moron king went and did it. There will be protests. People will die. The blood will be on Trump's hands alone. He will not care. He is immoral.
    But, it will delight his base, the radicalized right wing branch of the GOP.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    This is just another nail in the coffin, in relations with Europe, and our allies.

So... what's the thought? Is this just another moronic move - or is tRump just that desperate to distract from Mueller/Russia?
    Both. Could be all three in the order written.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

O look the anti semite brits are all giddy.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post
    O look the anti semite brits are all giddy.
    I think you'll find that they're sticking up for a UN Resolution they were party to, along with some international laws. Do a little research, might learn something new.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Um bobbys, the Palestinians are likely more racially Semites than Israel these days…………..

But then it is bobbys clawing for relevance as in the past

The Brits are pretty much responsible for the entire mess over there.

Our hypocrite brits love to tell us how Israel should run things while stealing the falklands..

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    or is tRump just that desperate to distract from Mueller/Russia?
    I would bet 1 millllllion dollars that Mr. Mueller is not distracted.
    Study Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post
    I won't take your bet, Chris.

It isn't Mueller that the dude's trying to distract, IMO.

That dog will come home and bite that SOB hard.
    Study Peace

The Ministry Of Truth would call this unanimous support.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/1...160643273.html

In a statement, John O. Brennan, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency, also called Trump's action "reckless", saying it would "damage US interests in the Middle East for years to come and will make the region more volatile".

King Abdullah II of Jordan - speaking at a press conference in Istanbul with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday - said the US was inviting blowback with the decision.

"Ignoring the Palestinian, Muslim, and Christian rights in Jerusalem will only fuel further extremism and undermine the war against terrorism," Abdullah said.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rusalem-speech

Angry and despairing comments across the Middle East and other parts of the world have warned that Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel will destroy the peace process, strengthen extremists and weaken the standing of the US in the world.

In an address to reporters moments after the US president had finished speaking, the UN secretary general, António Guterres, opposed “any unilateral measures that would jeopardise the prospect of peace for Israelis and Palestinians”.

He said: “In this moment of great anxiety, I want to make it clear – there is no alternative to the two-state solution. There is no plan B.”

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, was the first western leader to reject the announcement, saying the final status of Jerusalem had to be settled by negotiation. He called for calm and for restraint from violence.

The British prime minister, Theresa May, reiterated the UK’s position that the status of Jerusalem should be determined as a negotiated settlement between the Israelis and Palestinians, and that Jerusalem should be a shared capital. She said she would call Trump to discuss the matter.

Both Germany and France updated travel advice to their citizens, warning of possible clashes in Israel and the occupied territories.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42250399

Saudi Arabia, an ally of the US, called the new policy "a flagrant provocation to Muslims"
    Hamas leader Ismail Haniya said recognition crossed "all red lines"
    China warned against escalating tensions in the Middle East
    Jordan's King Abdullah said the decision would "undermine efforts to resume the peace process"
    Egypt's President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi urged Mr Trump "not to complicate the situation in the region"
    Turkey called for a summit of Muslim countries in December to discuss the developments
    Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said "Muslims must stand united against this major plot"
    Last edited by LeeG; 12-06-2017 at 05:09 PM.

Ok but I don’t think a lot of blood will seem acceptable if it’s seen as resulting from the American President delivering on a campaign promise to guys on bar stools at the VFW In Beckley WV. Sure further solidifies the Arab world when we need friends in the epic battle against Iran.
    What epic battle would that be? Seems like you are running out of people to do your dirty work for you, what with stabbing the Kurds in the back. How about fighting your own proxy wars for a change.
    And as for what the UN might say, when has that ever had an effect on what the US does? Didnt do Iraq any favours...

http://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_s.../my-entry.html

Trump thinks he is a friend of Israel? He has just screwed Israel out of any chance for a peace agreement with the Palestinians. Urged on by the arch Zionists like Kushner he came to believe that the status of Jerusalem was the Gordian Knot blocking movement toward a peace settlement. In the best "Art of the Deal" fashion he has now acted to remove this issue frozen in amber from the negotiating table in the belief that this will restore fluidity to the situation. IMO he is wrong. This is not a business deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    The Brits are pretty much responsible for the entire mess over there.
    Perhaps you could give us a potted history. The Balfour Declaration would be a good start
    Somewhere between Murder and Suicide, there is a place called Merseyside.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Coose View Post

He sai d he was going to do it when he ran.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    The Ministry Of Truth would call this unanimous support.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/1...160643273.html

In a statement, John O. Brennan, former director of the Central Intelligence Agency, also called Trump's action "reckless", saying it would "damage US interests in the Middle East for years to come and will make the region more volatile".

King Abdullah II of Jordan - speaking at a press conference in Istanbul with Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan on Wednesday - said the US was inviting blowback with the decision.

"Ignoring the Palestinian, Muslim, and Christian rights in Jerusalem will only fuel further extremism and undermine the war against terrorism," Abdullah said.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rusalem-speech

Angry and despairing comments across the Middle East and other parts of the world have warned that Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital of Israel will destroy the peace process, strengthen extremists and weaken the standing of the US in the world.

In an address to reporters moments after the US president had finished speaking, the UN secretary general, António Guterres, opposed “any unilateral measures that would jeopardise the prospect of peace for Israelis and Palestinians”.

He said: “In this moment of great anxiety, I want to make it clear – there is no alternative to the two-state solution. There is no plan B.”

The French president, Emmanuel Macron, was the first western leader to reject the announcement, saying the final status of Jerusalem had to be settled by negotiation. He called for calm and for restraint from violence.

The British prime minister, Theresa May, reiterated the UK’s position that the status of Jerusalem should be determined as a negotiated settlement between the Israelis and Palestinians, and that Jerusalem should be a shared capital. She said she would call Trump to discuss the matter.

Both Germany and France updated travel advice to their citizens, warning of possible clashes in Israel and the occupied territories.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42250399

Saudi Arabia, an ally of the US, called the new policy "a flagrant provocation to Muslims"
    Jordan's King Abdullah said the decision would "undermine efforts to resume the peace process"
    Egypt's President Abdul Fattah al-Sisi urged Mr Trump "not to complicate the situation in the region"
    Turkey called for a summit of Muslim countries in December to discuss the developments
    Iranian President Hassan Rouhani said "Muslims must stand united against this major plot"

So if there are threats if violence it looks like terroism works perfectly. Who needs to bow down to black mail.

Let's just see how Trump reacts when his hotels in the region are targeted. When his staff are killed. Because he decided that every president before him was a weenie.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Let's just see how Trump reacts when his hotels in the region are targeted. When his staff are killed. Because he decided that every president before him was a weenie.
    why worry - he has insurance coverage.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    I feel sorry for King Abdullah, he's a good guy. The rest can suck eggs.
    "Simple minds discuss people, Average minds discuss things, and Great minds discuss ideas".

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Everyone - the State Department, the Arab League, the King of Saudi Arabia, the King of Jordan, the Chairman of the Palestinian Authority, the President of Turkey - has told him NOT TO DO THIS.

And I don’t seem to be aware of massive pressure on him from his “base” to do it.

People are going to die because of this.
    That ultimate price will be paid by innocents not by the US or it's politicians .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Is Donald, in effect, inviting an attack on US soil by an OS operative as part of a plan to prove him correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Everyone - the State Department, the Arab League, the King of Saudi Arabia, the King of Jordan, the Chairman of the Palestinian Authority, the President of Turkey - has told him NOT TO DO THIS.

And I don’t seem to be aware of massive pressure on him from his “base” to do it.

People are going to die because of this.
    That was my comment when I saw it on the news last night.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    I feel sorry for King Abdullah, he's a good guy. The rest can suck eggs.
    You or I can afford to imbibe such emotional judgment. The President of the United States, in public at least, has to think past the personalities to the reality that follows certain statements or lines of action.

Whatever one may feel about the emotional content of Trump's declaration, the action will eventually be judged by its effect.

We'll see, I guess.