Thread: Gummy Varnish from electric sanding?

Default Gummy Varnish from electric sanding?

On the sides of some deck boards, I just wanted to rough up the old varnish with an electric sander since they are not visible. I've been scraping off gummy residue that goes down to bare wood. Figure the heat from sanding made the old varnish do that? It doesn't harden. Usually only on the edges.

Default Re: Gummy Varnish from electric sanding?

Are you sure it's varnish? Sounds like linseed oil to me.

Sounds peculiar to me. The edges of the deck boards? Got some photos?

How clean is your sandpaper? Are you using the purple/green/yellow stuff whose pkg. touts 3x longer life or something like that? Don't remember the brand, but it is nice and sharp, and stays that way if you clean it often. (I can update brand tomorrow if needed.) Paper that gets clogged and stays clogged will get quite hot.

Chip

And if the stuff your sanding off goes into a collection bag it may spontaneously combust. No kidding, it happened to me.

You want to use stearated paper. It doesnt clog and it stays sharper longer.

Sanding dust from finished wood is a real explosion hazard as Gib says. It should NEVER be contained in a closed vessel unless it has been liberally wet down. Even in an open top barrel, if it is packed too densely it can spontaneously combust.