Thread: driverless cars

Default driverless cars

Listening to an 'expert' on the subject, and when asked about safety, he said that "as soon as there are no humans in charge of vehicles they will be perfectly safe."

LOL

Default Re: driverless cars

They'll get lighter and simpler. They won't need airbags, crumple zones, bumpers. . .
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 12-05-2017 at 07:08 AM.
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

northern Georgia, or sometimes Mississippi Delta USA

As long as they are transporting people, they will be keeping the airbags and crumple zones for a while.

when can you send your car to get drive through/take out?

put your cat in it's carrier in the back seat and send it to the vet...

your car can be doing errands while you are at work.

Perfectly safe, no. The idea is that it is theoretically possible to have an vehicle controlled by artificial intelligence that would make far fewer errors in many situations that currently result in crashes and fatalities. The AI systems, being very complex, would be far more prone to failure than current mechanical systems, and capable of creating new scenarios for crashes and fatalities. Regardless, the tradeoff could dramatically reduce the current fatality rate, as errors in judgement are blamed for the vast majority of accidents and fatalities.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Listening to an 'expert' on the subject, and when asked about safety, he said that "as soon as there are no humans in charge of vehicles they will be perfectly safe."

LOL
    Hard to argue with

I'm uncertain about faster 'B' roads with multiple intersections and crossings, but they would possibly be safer. Around town and on freeways, definitely.

Let's face it, it's driverless cars or disable all 'screens' in vehicles.
    We don't know how lucky we are....

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    when can you send your car to get drive through/take out?

put your cat in it's carrier in the back seat and send it to the vet...

your car can be doing errands while you are at work.
    It probably would need a new design for the door handles in the back seat.

Quote Originally Posted by seanz View Post
    Hard to argue with

I'm uncertain about faster 'B' roads with multiple intersections and crossings, but they would possibly be safer. Around town and on freeways, definitely.

Let's face it, it's driverless cars or disable all 'screens' in vehicles.
    Yeah, bring back paper maps. We were much safer when the driver was wresting with a 3' by 3' piece of oragami.
    I'll take a nav system with aural prompts and a heads up displaay anyday.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Will people in cities need to 'own' a car? Seems to me that there will be a pool and you call one when you need one. Then you don't need to find a a parking place newar the theatre or pay for it to sit in the street all day and night.

I wonder if they'll make driverless Bubba trucks with gun racks and confederate flags amongst the options……...

It seems like having cars that one doesn't drive means a shift in the whole equation of cars as an expression of social status, ego, masculinity, and that sort of thing. What's the point of getting a Corvette if you don't control the thing? The car's driving, not you.

A friend just told us that she can't wait for the time when she can punch keys and have her car drive her to Steamboat Springs while she reads a book. That would require uncoupling one's ego from both the act of driving and, to some extent, the vehicle.

For Americans, at least, it's not a trivial question.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

For the auto and advertising industry likewise, the market would be a utility, public or private and at least at first it could be a one model fits all with a few options for delivery trucks etc. in case you wanted some timber from the yard. Maybe evenr tually you might get the option of a 'sport model' for a fee, or even get your boat moved on the system.
    Of course in the country maybe a hybrid? Having manual drive options for the country, and auto for visiting a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    It seems like having cars that one doesn't drive means a shift in the whole equation of cars as an expression of social status, ego, masculinity, and that sort of thing. What's the point of getting a Corvette if you don't control the thing? The car's driving, not you.

A friend just told us that she can't wait for the time when she can punch keys and have her car drive her to Steamboat Springs while she reads a book. That would require uncoupling one's ego from both the act of driving and, to some extent, the vehicle.

Yes and no.

I mentioned that I've been essentially in this boat for near a month now. There's multiple cars available to me, all with a driver. I don't drive (have done twice... once taking us to the movies, once for a midnight snack - and even with the movie trip, two of the drivers came and collected that car, then came back later to collect us).

I'm driven everywhere.... as I would be with a driverless car. Once you get used to it, it's a stress-free way to go.

One does notice that the issue of ego doesn't disappear. There's plenty of Mercedes Benz out there.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Of course, no one in cars will be safe while there are still egocentric madmen loose on motorcycles.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Um, not those screens.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post

My very good friend lives just outside Steamboat. If I lived there, I’d have the car drive so I could look out the windows...

Peace,
    Robert

I'm with BF... plenty of big shots are chauffered and the vehicles they don't drive are all top,top-end.

Or, look at people with really big yachts: a captain and crew runs it;yet, there's still a pride/ ego component ti ownership.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

SWMBO says that if she ever wins the lottery she'll employ a chauffeur.
    She actually has one now but a prophet is never recognised in his own town.

I will employ a gardener. Not one of those that think it's all about brush cutters, mowers and glysophate. A proper plantsman.

This isn’t really about cars.

As is my morning habit, I have been listening to the BBC Radio; in this instance an excellent programme called “The Long View”, which searches our historical analogies to current phenomena.

In today’s case, the black cab drivers of London, vs Uber, and the Thames watermen vs the Thames Bridges, buses, trams and underground railways.

There are forty thousand black cab drivers, and perhaps as many Uber drivers, but the real problem isn’t Uber.

It isn’t even the driverless car.

its the driverless everything.

There are five million people employed in driving jobs in the UK, from HGV and PSV drivers through to pizza delivery people...

Oh, and then there are the telephone service people. They are going, too...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

I don't see self driving taking over all driving. Rural areas will still have remote 2 lane and dirt roads. There will still be people that like to drive and enjoy cars.
    Major metro areas and interstates however would benefit from the increases efficiency and safety. Like some of the big cities outside the US that don't allow vehicles without a city pass, or do so on an odd-even system. Maybe only autonomous vehicles wuold be permitted.
    Atlanta comes to mind. Only autonomous cars and AI combined with a linked system of traffic control devices will solve the traffic problems here.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    As long as they are transporting people, they will be keeping the airbags and crumple zones for a while.
    do passenger trains have seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, bumpers?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I agree, ACB. This is about delivery tech, not just delivery of people. Buggy whip manufacturers should take note.

We are soon to have a remarkably large surplus population. Even wars don't really require that degree of cannon fodder anymore.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Will these driverless cars be equipt with a remote override for Big Brother?

Services like delivery be it parcels pizza or whatever, will always need a delivery person, or they would have to create a robot to do that job.
    As for the type of cars, IMHO there will always be a demand for luxury and comfort (for long trips)
    The biggest plus will be that you can hire the vehicle that you need, for instants a lorry when you want to move, a spacious car when you want to go out shopping, and a smaal car for going to work.

Anyway my 2 cents.
    Don't worry I'm happy

"The law is what we have to live with.
    Justice is sometimes harder to achieve."

Sherlock Holmes

do passenger trains have seatbelts, airbags, crumple zones, bumpers?
    Will autos operate on closed roads and adhere ( mostly ) to schedules they way trains do?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I agree, ACB. This is about delivery tech, not just delivery of people. Buggy whip manufacturers should take note.

We are soon to have a remarkably large surplus population. Even wars don't really require that degree of cannon fodder anymore.
    Hence the discussion of Universal Minimum Income and, from Bill Gates, Robot Tax.

But I think it would not take a very smart Artificial Intelligence to conclude that humans are not capable of being properly housetrained, and the planet would be much nicer without them...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Hence the discussion of Universal Minimum Income and, from Bill Gates, Robot Tax.

But I think it would not take a very smart Artificial Intelligence to conclude that humans are not capable of being properly housetrained, and the planet would be much nicer without them...
    As I said earlier (or perhaps elsewhere) I've read this movie script before, and know how it ends. In several variations, actually.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

On the side of the buggy whip makers, the Thames watermen were, as time went on, increasingly well organised. They formed the Honourable Company of Watermen and Lightermen, they set themselves a seven year apprenticeship, and they specified how a Thames skiff should be built and maintained - much like Black Cabs and “The Knowledge” today.

The Honourable Company negotiated Bridge Fees for every new river crossing (even tunnels) to be spent on supporting unemployed watermen, and the watermen retrained as lightermen and dock pilots.

The Honourable Company exists today..
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 12-06-2017 at 04:36 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post

Removal of a parasitic infestation?

There are many driverless cars on the road every day. Apparently texting is more important.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    There are many driverless cars on the road every day. Apparently texting is more important.

Jeff C
    Those screens

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    Will autos operate on closed roads and adhere ( mostly ) to schedules they way trains do?

Kevin
    Dedicated roads are already in use in Mexico City. Actually, operating an automated vehicle is quite simple if you eliminate random traffic.