Thread: scuppers?

Default scuppers?

cy scupper.jpgAnyone have a construction detail for a thru the hull scupper that would work for a simple 20' clinker built boat? Trial fit of the deck combings (as shown) will dump splash water out the narrow ends and on the side bench seats. Thought I could live with it as the bench seats will be caned with water thus falling thru...but what about a scupper right below the rub rail at the low side of the deck? Any picts anywhere of such a detail..or is it just a bad idea on this little sail boat

Default Re: scuppers?

I would opt for a bailing scoop made from a plastic jug and a sponge. Very nice looking workmanship! Canned thwarts will look nice but may not hold up long!
    Jay

Can be done, but you will get manky streaks down your lovely bright topsides.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Its been pointed out that there probably won't be much water over the bow on this CY fair weather trailer sailor. So will put the scupper idea on the back burner for perhaps a future retrofit...if need be, and go with the bucket and sponge technique as mentioned.

On another matter (perhaps a new thread?), I'm vacillating on which way to go on the seams of the decking. Whats down is 5/16" x 1-3/4" black cherry
    epoxied to 3/8 plywood. I know my neighbor Rich Jones and others have had seemingly good success with just tinted epoxy as the deck caulking but my background in building waterproofing has me wary of (mostly) encapsulating two different materials that have different rates of expansion. I'm leaning toward sikaflex 290 DC with the recommended 290 wood primer. The narrow 1/4" spacing is going to be tough to get the bond breaker tape installed correctly, but if I take the time to do it right it will insure only two (recommended) sided adhesion. Not much in the archives about non-teak decking and seam treatment and wonder if any others have gone thru this. Probably overkill (and over expensive) for a trailer boat

Our H28 "Bright Star" has teak decks that are laid over plywood, The seams are filled with black tinted epoxy. Due to the expansion and contraction of the wood, over the years and the hardening of the epoxy, the aging epoxy seam filler has cracked and failed miserably! All attempts to remove the failed epoxy, cleanly, from the seams, has proven to be futile! Rather than attempting to further reef the seams and replace the seam compound, We are forced to remove all of the wood and start over!

Had, the builders of our boat, laid a traditional teak deck using Jeffery's Marine Glue for paying off the seams, we would not be faced with correcting this very expensive problem! Jeffery's Marine Glue has proven over the last one hundred twenty plus years to work and work very well! It does not cause frustrating wallet draining expenses!
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 12-05-2017 at 08:34 PM.

In answer to your second question, perhaps things are different for a small boat that lives on a trailer under shelter most of its life. My miniscule decking is 1/8" mahogany epoxied to 1/4" occume marine ply. The seams are epoxy and graphite powder. The mahogany had 3 coats of cetol light 12 years ago and subsequent yearly (or more) applications of Seafin Teak Oil. No problems yet.

P1020526.jpg

Wishing you lots O luck! What is with that combing and king post seam?
    Jay

Well, I hope I didn't just jinx myself, Jay, but it kind of looks the same as the day I launched.

25890025.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Greer View Post
    Wishing you lots O luck! What is with that combing and king post seam?
    Jay
    The perils of amateurs mixing it up with experts...

Sadly, I see nothing wrong with it, though the plans call for a quarter-round at the base of the coaming. I swear it's not hiding any bad joinery.

Your Alaska is a beautiful boat Rod, there is no denying that! Considering how old your boat is now, your method seems sound.
    Last edited by jsjpd1; 12-05-2017 at 10:28 PM.
    -Jim

Sucker for a pretty face.
    1934 27' Blanchard Cuiser ~ Amazon, Ex. Emalu
    19'6" Caledonia Yawl ~ Sparrow

Getting into trouble one board at a time.

Thanks, Jim - I can only take credit for following directions.