Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 1956 Speedliner

Default Re: 1956 Speedliner

The end of last week and this weekend saw some good progress of the bottom of the Speedliner. The patches were finished, the keel bedded down and the fairing started. Sunday night the first coat of primer went on. Well on my way to hopefully finishing the painting next weekend.

DSC01335.jpg

DSC01345.jpg

Here is a little photo progress of how I patched the rotten stuff. I'm only going to show one of the 3, but they were essentially all the same.

First step was to scrape and brush out all the loose rotten wood and give it time to dry out some.
    DSC01280.jpg

Next I used a simple home made jig to rout out a nice flat and square hole. In this case there were two panels at different angles making it a bit more challenging.
    DSC01283.jpg

DSC01289.jpg

Next I chiseled in a beveled scarf to give some nice gluing surface area and cut out some patches to match. Several coats of CPES were applied until it stopped soaking in.
    DSC01324.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

Next it was glued up with thickened epoxy. Screws were driven into the frames through the original holes and bags of lead shot were used as weights where there were no screws. These bags are 25lbs each and were set on top of plastic sheets so the boat didn't come out 50lbs heavier

DSC01329.jpg

Here is how it looked after the epoxy was cured, but before any fairing.

DSC01334.jpg

And finally after the first round of filling and fairing.

DSC01338.jpg

This patch is certainly not good enough for a varnished repair, but I think with a few more attempts and some more patience it would be possible to make it work. Fortunately this will be under paint and with a little more fairing I should be the only one who can find it in the future.

Nice work !!

Good evening,
    This is a very nice little boat.

I am not from the U.S. Please tell me what CPES is.

Regards,
    Frans.

Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer.......... from Smith's and similar products from other companies.

See here, and other threads: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...s-Smith-s-CPES

Time to call the troops and flip her back over. Five coats of primer and 3 of Perfection and I am ready to move on to the topsides. For the most part all went well. The saying "good from far, but far from good" comes to mind. However, given that it is the bottom I probably shouldn't get too picky.

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

There were 2 tiny spots which were contaminated and caused fisheyes, probably some silicone that I missed cleaning out. So I had to grind down to good material and fill, re-prime and paint prior to the final coat. But that wasn't too much of a pain, just an extra week of watching paint dry that I didn't need. Now on to lots and lots of prep and varnish work

Just beautiful...

Today's activities went well and now she is topside up. Time for more fun with the heat gun and scrapper.

DSC01393.jpg

DSC01409.jpg
    Oh golly look at all those fisheyes on the deck. Hopefully they will go away!!

P.S. I had a good chat with Steve from Seajay boats yesterday and he gave me some good info to get underway with the stain and varnish. Hopefully I will be putting that to good use soon.

Looks great! Are you taking the deck and topsides down to wood? I guess so, if you are restaining.....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Looks great! Are you taking the deck and topsides down to wood? I guess so, if you are restaining.....

Dave
    Hey Dave,

Unfortunately there are enough spots that need to be stripped to wood, so it makes sense to do the whole thing the right way the first time. This will be my first time staining under varnish, fingers crossed.

-JP

Yes, makes sense. On my boat, I used a gel stain, and made sure that that was totally dried. Then a couple coats of a very thin wood sealer, and then the varnish. I liked the Epifanes Wood Finish which you can recoat without sanding.

Dave

Thanks for the great story and photos!

Well worth the effort.
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

Yes, makes sense. On my boat, I used a gel stain, and made sure that that was totally dried. Then a couple coats of a very thin wood sealer, and then the varnish. I liked the Epifanes Wood Finish which you can recoat without sanding.

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm a big fan of the stuff from AkzoNobel (International, Interlux, AwlGrip) I've been using them for years both for fun and professionally on everything from small boats to large ships. I'm going to go with the AwlSpar/AwlBright system. That varnish system also allows for multiple coats in a day and give a really hard finish in the end. All that with Interstain 42 underneath, apparently the original color for Speedliners.

-JP

Quote Originally Posted by donald branscom View Post
    Thanks for the great story and photos!

Well worth the effort.
    Thanks Donald,

I appreciate knowing that some folks are enjoying following the restoration. I passed 100 hours into her today and will get some photos up soon. I was mostly stripping varnish, but that turned into pulling off the covering boards to glue and screw them down more securely. I can't resist ensuring that she will last another 60 years when already this far in. It seems silly to save a few hours of easy work, just to get to varnishing sooner.

-JP

Great job , Nice boat !

It seems silly to save a few hours of easy work, just to get to varnishing sooner.
    Have to agree . You will do her proud , I`m sure !
    If you are the smartest person in the room, you are in the wrong room.

Sorry for the long delay between updates. Each step forward looks so small that I haven't noticed the changes.

After pulling off all the remaining hardware I began making small repairs. Filling gaps with thickened epoxy and toothpicks for nail and screw holes.

DSC01413.jpg

I began stripping, but realized the covering boards were all loose so they were removed, cleaned up , glued and refastened down.

DSC01419.jpg

Once that was done and the deck was fully stripped I realized that the filled screw holes were not good enough looking. So I removed all the filler, gave each screw a 1/4 turn and re-filled.

DSC01422.jpg

It took some time, but the deck looks good now. Almost time to give the luan "racing stripe" some varnish, then stain.

DSC01427.jpg

The sides and transom are also stripped and just need a little cleanup and sanding.

DSC01428.jpg

I also chose to strip the fwd seat back. It was not that good looking and I figured is was a large area that would be very visible. It took some creative twisting to get everything stripped and sanded, but turned out just fine for what it is. It was also my first try at staining, and went fine, which makes me feel more comfortable about doing the rest of the hull.

DSC01429.jpg

Next update to come when the varnishing and staining begin.

Nice work. The deck will be much better with everything cleaned up !

Once all the prep work was done, I actually enjoyed laying down a coat of varnish, or 10....

Once all the prep work was done, I actually enjoyed laying down a coat of varnish, or 10....
    Thanks Dave, I too enjoy a good varnish session.

First 3 coats are on the "blond" wood. Staining should happen this week after a little bit of prep.

DSC01446.jpg

Good story and good photos! Thanks
    I love the smell of fresh cut plywood in the morning.

She’s going to be beautiful!

Staining is done! After several days to make sure it is fully dried the real varnish challenge will begin.

DSC01450.jpg

Looks great! You'll be ready for summer no problem!!

Looks great.

The plans for the Rascal called for 2 coats of wood sealer. I did that after the stain was dried for several days. Then the varnishing began.

Dave

Hi Dave,

This is the varnish schedule I am going with.

Interlux Interstain, color 42-Brown Mahogany
    AwlGrip AwlSpar, thinned 100% This essentially acts as the sealer.
    AwlGrip AwlSpar, full strength, 2-3 coats. These coats provide the color of a traditional varnish job.
    AwlGrip AwlBrite, 10-14 coats. This is a 3 part urethane varnish that is very durable, and goes down quickly. However, is not the easiest to work with.

It has been a while since I last worked with AwlBrite, so hopefully I can remember all the little details of using it.

-JP

Once again I did not want to post photos of paint (varnish) drying so here is a quick update on where the speedliner stands.

4 coats of AwlSpar (the 1st one thinned) and 10 cotes of AwlBrite are on and the final sanding is complete. With any luck the final coat will be going on tomorrow evening.

DSC01455.jpg

I've also been spending some down time polishing the metal bits up. Here is a before and after of the frames for the rubber step pads. They, and the rest of the stuff, needs a little more love, but it's all getting me closer to putting everything back together and enjoying some summertime on the water

DSC01451.jpg

I ended up doing one more final sand and coat on the deck, there was a bit too much dust for my liking. Here are a couple shots of the Speedliner out in the sun for the first time with her new brightwork.

DSC01472.jpg

DSC01467.jpg

I did some metal polishing this evening and will be hitting that hard tomorow night and Saturday. With any luck she'll get splashed this weekend!

Super!!

Thanks Dave. It's not perfect, but I am very happy. I can't wait to get out on the water!!

Yes, looking great!

Very nice. Pretty boat. the other Ned

Time for a Speedliner update

A few glamor shots of her first time out of the shop with all the hardware installed.

IMG_0319.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

Well maybe not all the hardware, there are a few rubrails that I am still polishing and adding as they get done.

After 2 great runs on the 3rd one she overheated. Some digging turned up a blown water pump impeller.

IMG_0340.jpg

But I was able to get a new impeller delivered and installed so she is back on the water.

There was some family from out of town in last night, so I took them for a ride.

2.jpg

1.jpg

IMG_3585 (002).jpg

Edited to make photos work.
    Last edited by jcpout2c; 08-01-2018 at 10:42 AM.