Thread: 1956 Speedliner

Default 1956 Speedliner

Hi everyone. I'm brand new to the forum, but not wooden boats, despite a bit of break for several years. However, now I'm back in.

Last weekend I picked up a 1956 Speedliner M414 Contessa. The hull is in good shape with no rot that I can find and only one spot of very minor delamination. The motor was recently rebuilt. The varnish job was less than awesome however.

So I guess I have my winter project figured out.
    IMG_6431 (1).jpg

Default Re: 1956 Speedliner

Cool boat! What type of engine does it have?

It's a Scott-Atwater 33hp from '56. It is not the original to the boat, but what the original owner put on it. It came with all the original receipts from '56. Wrong serial number on the motor, but everything else matches up.

Lightbulb Re: 1956 Speedliner

I had it in the water this weekend for a quick shakedown. The engine ran great, she had an up/down stream averaged of 24kts by GPS. Small leaks where the transom, bottom and topsides come together, which is also where there is some delamination. I'm hopefully going to finish stripping the hardware this evening then start figuring out how to tackle the required woodwork.
    DSC01121.jpg
    I'll post some pics of the problem area later and hope for ideas

Sweet looking boat! Love to see some close ups of the boat.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Well one stuck fastener that needed drilling out and one pull switch nut that needed to be split with a cold chisel and she is all stripped. The rub rails will stay on until the varnish work starts in earnest.

DSC01187.jpgDSC01189.jpgDSC01190.jpgDSC01191.jpg

So on to the issues, all ideas will be heard and appreciated, some acted upon

Here is the delaminating area of the port quarter, and one of the starboard.

The first question is what adhesive should I used to re-laminate the plys and how to get it all the way in? I keep going back and forth between epoxy and poly(guerilla glue) Fortunately, other than the some rough edges the wood is all in fine condition.

DSC01194.jpg

DSC01196.jpg

Oh, and there is a good amount of silicone around which never does the trick of sealing up leaks, but does a great job of messing up future varnish work. Fingers crossed that bringing her down to bare wood will get rid of all the goop.

Then my other thoughts are about how much of the transom framing needs to come off the inside to facilitate sealing back up the leaks? And of course the question, 5200 or not? That stuff works, but it is forever.

DSC01197.jpg

Nice. That boat is in amazing shape for her age.
    -Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Nice. That boat is in amazing shape for her age.
    Thanks, I was quite happy with the condition especially for 61 years old. The previous owner certainly did me a huge favor finding a matching rebuilt engine to go with all the original controls. Here is a shot of the Scott-Atwater start/choke panel for the dash. No key or anything, just hit start and go.

The story is that he found it in a warehouse in Buffalo that was being used as a sailboat shop. Because it was a power boat it had been sitting there for at least 20 years untouched and they wanted it out. He supposedly bought it from the original owners wife about 3 years ago. I have no reason to believe he was telling a tail to sell the boat, but even if he was she is still in great shape and just in need of a little love.

DSC01152.jpg

That is a gorgeous boat! Watching this thread with much interest

Well I found the rot

Pulled the boards off the bottom of the transom which extend the bottom sheeting aft and right where there should be was rot. The lowest and furthest aft point in the boat. All the poking I did with a pick and I never would have found it, all the exterior wood is sound, which is good for when I put her back together. One ply of the the transom fell right off but the others on the outside look solid. Some screw holes will have to be drilled out and bunged as well. But the dehumidifier has been running for over a day and things are drying out nicely. Some CPES and a little wood replacing and she should be good to go.

DSC01201.jpgDSC01203.jpgDSC01206.jpg

Now I'm off to dissembling just about every thing else attached to the transom to get to the bottom of the inside to look for rot there. Along the way I did find something cool. The serial number of the boat was stamped beneath the bit of sacrificial plywood where the engine mounts.

DSC01212.jpg

And one of the plate
    DSC01132.jpg

Cool...nice find! I think the Scott is really cool!

WgMkr

Very cool! Sort of reminds me of the Rascal.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by jcpout2c View Post
    Then my other thoughts are about how much of the transom framing needs to come off the inside to facilitate sealing back up the leaks?
    Answer: All of it!!
    Oh... and the transom too

DSC01221.jpg