Thread: Looking for summer lake sailing not too far from Washington, DC

Default Looking for summer lake sailing not too far from Washington, DC

My granddaughters are old enough to start sailing (2 and 5 years old) so I'm looking for a lake with good sailing within a 6 hour drive from Washington, DC. I'm looking for a place with vacation rentals and a marina that rents daysailers. I'm thinking North Carolina or maybe southern Virginia. Has anyone rented vacation homes for a week or two of sailing in those regions?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Default Re: Looking for summer lake sailing not too far from Washington, DC

Welcome to the Forum.
    Years ago (something like 25), I rented a condo on Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia on the border of North Carolina. I rented a pontoon boat from a marina, but don't know if they rented sailboats. I couldn't tell you if it was a good sailing lake, though. Don't remember seeing any sailboats.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The Rehoboth Bay Sailing Association rents boats to the public. Rehoboth Bay is plenty large and isn't teeming with high-speed powerboats, which most places like Smith Mountain Lake are all summer. There's usually better wind for sailing there, too, it being an open estuary as opposed to a lake surrounded by forested hills. And there's no shortage of vacation rentals in Dewey Beach, all of this without mentioning the Atlantic beaches right across the road when the sailing is done for the day.
    -Dave

Thanks, Rich. Funny coincidence - we did exactly the same thing around the same time - rented a house on Smith Mountain Lake and rented a pontoon boat. Our daughters were so light that they could get up on water skis behind it. As you said, there didn't seem to be any sailing and so I didn't look into it. Probably because the lake sides were too tall for any wind on the water.

Appreciate your response!

David

Thanks for the suggestion, Dave. This looks like a good getaway option for a long weekend before or after the summer crowds and it's a lot closer than NC!

David

Do you mind salt water? Gailsville, MD is a little more than one hour drive east of DC. I don't know what is there for rent, but there is a lot of sheltered water. I have chartered from Gailsville but it was quite a few years ago. It was a nice quite place.