Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 123 ... LastLast
Results 36 to 70 of 124

Thread: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

  1. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    42,392

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    au contraire, i so want a self driving car
    i can set back and read
    get dropped off at the door of where ever it is i'm going
    let the car go park itself (or better yet go make some money ubering)
    have a few drinks with dinner
    let the car pick me up after i've had a few drinks and deliver me to my home
    So... you're saying that as long as you've got a few drinks in ya, it'll be fine? <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  2. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    82,402

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    or a good book to read
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  3. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,133

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post

    (Too many so-called engineers are crippled by their bias against EVs.)
    No, we’re just tired of people who have never developed a vehicle acting like they no how too.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

  4. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Pleasant Valley NS Canada
    Posts
    11,323

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Same with boats, Katharine...
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

  5. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    8,677

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Don't really know what power is needed to sustain a jet on the runway, but to charge a 500 kWh battery in 10 minutes would take a charger output of 3 million watts. That means 12,500 amps at 240 volts, or whatever you want to compute the voltage and amperage. It's about 100x the maximum power available at a typical household power supply. It's getting into the range of a bolt of lightning. As for the price of gas vs. electricity, The study you cite notes about 30 kWh per 100 miles. That's $4.50 worth of electricity at the domestic rate around here. (my household billing). That means that a 50 mpg gas--powered car breaks even at $2.25 a gallon, which has been the local price off and on around here. The study uses a 25 mpg figure, which is a hypothetical average for all cars, not comparing two cars with similar performance, etc. FWIW, we get about 45 mpg most of the time with a gas-powered, five-passenger station wagon. Two tanks ago, I filled up for $2 a gallon. Many states heavily discount electricity for electric cars, and have higher gas prices. Regardless, heavy taxes on pump gasoline are mainly non-existent for electricity. You can run the numbers up and down, but the actual cost of electric power and gasoline power is remarkably close these days in the U.S.

    Might add that if you attempted to build a piston-engine generator to charge the car in 10 minutes, it would be larger than the P&W Wasp, the largest piston-engine radial ever built

    (FWIW, It looks like a typical ground supply for a jet is about 7 kw, compared to 3,000 kw for the car charger.)
    The Tesla model S uses a 100kwh battery to achieve a 300+ mile range.Their supercharger facilities claim 170 miles worth of charging in 30 minutes. The latest technology promises a 2.5X increase in energy density, so maybe a 250kwh battery for 600+ miles.

    And 7kw? That's like 5 typical hair dryers right? I'd bet the pitot/static heating system alone on my jet burns more than that. Add in the pack fans, aux hydraulic pump and avionics and you'd be well north of 7kw.
    One 777 generator can produce 120kva

    If you could get 600 miles of range from the batteries it'd be unlikely you'd need to top them up from a full discharge quickly. I don't know may people that could drive 600 miles without a bathroom break!
    Last edited by Reynard38; 12-03-2017 at 09:57 PM.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  6. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    42,392

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Same with boats, Katharine...
    Boy Howdy!!
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  7. #42
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,859

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    EBFB9F32-848C-4D1D-8AC8-438DD76927AA.jpg
    I say take motoring back to the basics—we will appreciate it more...

    Jeff C

  8. #43
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Livin' in Oz
    Posts
    53,356

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    au contraire, i so want a self driving car
    i can set back and read
    get dropped off at the door of where ever it is i'm going
    let the car go park itself (or better yet go make some money ubering)
    have a few drinks with dinner
    let the car pick me up after i've had a few drinks and deliver me to my home
    I've had exactly that for the last three weeks... except for the ubering bit... and drinks are harder to come by here, but not impossible.... and the reading bit isn't too good when driving, unless you have pretty good travel sickness avoidance.

    It is nice, having cars and drivers on tap 24 hours a day.

    I suspect that the environmental consequences may be somewhat suspect. The other, hot, day... we spent several hours shopping - with the driver, as usual, parked somewhere nearby. When we phoned him for pickup... the car was ice cold inside. I'd say he sat in it for hours with the engine running in order to power the AC
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

    I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

  9. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,203

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    The Tesla model S uses a 100kwh battery to achieve a 300+ mile range.Their supercharger facilities claim 170 miles worth of charging in 30 minutes. The latest technology promises a 2.5X increase in energy density, so maybe a 250kwh battery for 600+ miles.

    And 7kw? That's like 5 typical hair dryers right? I'd bet the pitot/static heating system alone on my jet burns more than that. Add in the pack fans, aux hydraulic pump and avionics and you'd be well north of 7kw.
    One 777 generator can produce 120kva

    If you could get 600 miles of range from the batteries it'd be unlikely you'd need to top them up from a full discharge quickly. I don't know may people that could drive 600 miles without a bathroom break!
    As you note, a 250 kWh battery takes 1.5 megawatts to recharge in 10 minutes. Don't really know about ground power sources for jet aircraft--the 7 kw figure came from the SAE standard for the connection to the aircraft. I don't even know what is being powered--it appears to be mainly lights and HVAC. I also don't know what a kva is as a unit, or how or if it differs from wattage. FWIW, seven kw is enough to power about three residential houses. The point I am making is that recharging high-capacity batteries in a short time is not necessarily limited by the battery itself, but the extraordinarily high current flow needed. That doesn't change with the battery itself, and is large enough to cause dramatic spikes in demand on any power source. The charge time also offsets the range, if you have to wait a day for recharging to get going again, which is the case using normal household current. As for driving time, We regularly go to NYC from here, which takes two fuel stops for a car with a 560 mile or so range. Might also note that electric-car range is much more sensitive to driving style, and most reviews see an actual useful range at about half the EPA rating, due to a heavier foot, but also to the reluctance to completely drain the battery.
    Last edited by Dan McCosh; 12-04-2017 at 10:12 AM.

  10. #45
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    15,321

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    seven kw is enough to power about three residential houses.
    If they don't have electric ranges, microwave ovens, hot water heaters, or hair dryers, maybe.

    What are you doing about it?




  11. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    42,392

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    So... you want electric? And practical? And plug-ugly? VW has you covered...

    https://www.yahoo.com/tech/vw-unveil...121000409.html




    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  12. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    9,430

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    About the 2000 Honda Insight Hybrid, I forgot to mention that the mileage varies between about 58 and 62 mpg. The electric power is generated by the car = free.

    On to plug-in EVs— The BMW ActiveE (170 horsepower) has an energy consumption rate of 33 kWh per 100 miles. The Nissan Leaf (107 hp) does 29 kWh/100m. So 30 kWh per 100 mi. is a realistic value.

    As far as cost goes, though, most published estimates are based on power purchased from local utilities. We installed a grid-tied solar PV system in 2011, partly paid for with a $10,000 DOE grant. Based on our out-of-pocket cost, I calculated the payback at about 8 years: by 2019.

    The system generates 3000 kWh more than we use each year. Based on the 30 kWh per 100 mi value, that comes out to 10,000 miles, low-cost now, and as of 2019, no cost for power.

    (Too many so-called engineers are crippled by their bias against EVs.)
    Many so-called engineers are looking at it from a mass market/economic/physics perspective. I am a proponent of electric cars, I would love to have one. We have cheap electricity. But the obstacles raised on this thread are real.

  13. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,203

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    If they don't have electric ranges, microwave ovens, hot water heaters, or hair dryers, maybe.
    The national average for electrical consumption in the U.S. is about 900 kWh per month. That is two kw for 12 hours a day. It's an average, not the peak output.

  14. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,203

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    We drive a 2000 Honda Insight hybrid that has 150,000 or so miles. We replaced the main battery last summer, around $3k, but are still way ahead in terms of overall cost, gas savings, etc. It is a 'rollerskate' with two seats and a mid-level cargo deck in the rear, with the battery underneath. The design uses a small 3-cylinder gas engine as the main power with a flywheel ring electric motor to provide a boost for acceleration and passing– a good setup for our conditions. It doesn't plug in, but has an inertial charging system that uses the kinetic energy of the car to charge the battery, with an extra charge from rollers on the brakes.

    We very seldom run out of juice. The car has been used mostly for a job commute about 30 mi. across a flat valley, with a slight downhill slope on the way in, which charges the battery for the return trip, often against the wind. We garage it in winter, when the low clearance (which cuts wind resistance) makes it difficult on snow days. We love it.

    These have become a cult car, and we could sell it for quite a bit more than we paid.



    The new VW, with its ingenious all-wheel drive system and greater clearance, might work very well for us in all seasons. I don't see why they can't combine a plug-in charger with an inertial charging setup, which would certainly increase the practical range.

    In any event, I can't wait for EVs to be widely available at a decent price. Our solar PV house system was designed to provide enough surplus power to charge an EV.
    Kind of wonder what you mean by "running out of juice" in a gas-engine car.

  15. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg MB
    Posts
    15,321

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    The national average for electrical consumption in the U.S. is about 900 kWh per month. That is two kw for 12 hours a day. It's an average, not the peak output.
    Yes, but unfortunately, peak use is what you have to consider when looking at power supply in terms of kW as compared to kWh.

    I've lived in a camp with a 3.5 kW generator, along with two 20 kWs. 3.5 is enough for lights and small appliances, but not enough for lights and small appliances plus anything that generates a significant amount of heat from electricity. So, no toaster or hair dryer, for example.

    See here, for example: http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/el...anceChart.aspx

    I particularly draw your attention to the wattage of items like air conditioners, clothes dryers, ranges, microwaves, dishwashers, water heaters, and small kitchen appliances like toasters.

    What are you doing about it?




  16. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    16,257

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    No, we’re just tired of people who have never developed a vehicle acting like they no how too.
    Like people writing who don't know how to spell?

    Still, one has to admire the collective engineering brilliance that takes the problem of how to transport a 145-pound teenager and comes up with this:



    As far as the problem of heating and defrosting an EV, there's been lots of work done on heating and defrosting space capsules and the international space station, with outer space temperatures (3° Kelvin = -454.27°F) rather more severe than a Canadian winter. No one has proposed coal or diesel as an energy source, at least so far. But with Trump at the helm, who knows?

    Last edited by Chip-skiff; 12-04-2017 at 02:44 PM.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  17. #52
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,203

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Yes, but unfortunately, peak use is what you have to consider when looking at power supply in terms of kW as compared to kWh.

    I've lived in a camp with a 3.5 kW generator, along with two 20 kWs. 3.5 is enough for lights and small appliances, but not enough for lights and small appliances plus anything that generates a significant amount of heat from electricity. So, no toaster or hair dryer, for example.

    See here, for example: http://www.torontohydro.com/sites/el...anceChart.aspx

    I particularly draw your attention to the wattage of items like air conditioners, clothes dryers, ranges, microwaves, dishwashers, water heaters, and small kitchen appliances like toasters.
    Quite right. The typical household electric system has a peak capacity of about 20 kw. Still a bit shy of 1.2 megawatts.

  18. #53
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    16,257

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Kind of wonder what you mean by "running out of juice" in a gas-engine car.
    It's a hybrid. Juice= electric charge in the battery.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  19. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    82,402

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    ain't too many teenagers driving $60,000 trucks
    and the decision to build them is market driven not engineer driven

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post

    Still, one has to admire the collective engineering brilliance that takes the problem of how to transport a 145-pound teenager and comes up with this:

    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  20. #55
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,133

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    My SPELLING of the word "no" was correct, however it was misused. That doesn't really change the validity of the thought behind my comment.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

  21. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    16,257

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    ain't too many teenagers driving $60,000 trucks
    and the decision to build them is market driven not engineer driven
    You've never been in the freshman dorm parking lot at the University of Wyoming.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  22. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,133

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    I highly doubt that the U of W freshman actually bought that truck. Parents have a tendency to put their little darlings in big vehicles because they think that they will be safer in a crash.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

  23. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,203

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    It's a hybrid. Juice= electric charge in the battery.
    It would be remarkable if a car running on a gasoline engine ran out of an electric charge.

  24. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    8,677

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    As you note, a 250 kWh battery takes 1.5 megawatts to recharge in 10 minutes. Don't really know about ground power sources for jet aircraft--the 7 kw figure came from the SAE standard for the connection to the aircraft. I don't even know what is being powered--it appears to be mainly lights and HVAC. I also don't know what a kva is as a unit, or how or if it differs from wattage. FWIW, seven kw is enough to power about three residential houses. The point I am making is that recharging high-capacity batteries in a short time is not necessarily limited by the battery itself, but the extraordinarily high current flow needed. That doesn't change with the battery itself, and is large enough to cause dramatic spikes in demand on any power source. The charge time also offsets the range, if you have to wait a day for recharging to get going again, which is the case using normal household current. As for driving time, We regularly go to NYC from here, which takes two fuel stops for a car with a 560 mile or so range. Might also note that electric-car range is much more sensitive to driving style, and most reviews see an actual useful range at about half the EPA rating, due to a heavier foot, but also to the reluctance to completely drain the battery.
    Would a kva be 1000 volt amps? I never learned this unit either when I was in school, but it's used a lot in aircraft speak.
    Many gauges on aircraft are in percentages or are unitless. Things like our electrical load meters. Labeled 0-1.5, so I can't speak to actual amps or watts.
    I see what you mean about rapid charging. A given number of elections has to be moved, and doing it in a short timeframe means a LOT of amps. I would guess the realtionship is linear. 1/2 the time double the amps? Assuming of course the battery could withstand it.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  25. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,203

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Would a kva be 1000 volt amps? I never learned this unit either when I was in school, but it's used a lot in aircraft speak.
    Many gauges on aircraft are in percentages or are unitless. Things like our electrical load meters. Labeled 0-1.5, so I can't speak to actual amps or watts.
    I see what you mean about rapid charging. A given number of elections has to be moved, and doing it in a short timeframe means a LOT of amps. I would guess the realtionship is linear. 1/2 the time double the amps? Assuming of course the battery could withstand it.
    A kWh is 1000 watts per hour, so its pretty easy to compute charging time--the output of a battery is the same as the input, less charging/discharge losses. As for kvas, I don't know why a va is different from a watt, since a watt is amps x volts. I looked it up myself, but it's still not clear to me. Also would like to know what the ground-support generators actually power on aircraft. Do they have the capacity to start an engine?

  26. #61
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    16,257

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I highly doubt that the U of W freshman actually bought that truck. Parents have a tendency to put their little darlings in big vehicles because they think that they will be safer in a crash.
    Hog Daddy buys a new hog-monster pickup at two-year intervals. Instead of trading it in, he gives it to Hog Junior as a high-school graduation present, with a credit card to pay for the gas.

    That's how it goes in a third-world energy colony.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  27. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    16,257

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    It would be remarkable if a car running on a gasoline engine ran out of an electric charge.
    You've obviously never driven a hybrid and have zero understanding on the subject, only a crippling bias.

    When a hybrid that has a very small gas engine and an electric boost runs out of charge on the main battery then one is driving an underpowered vehicle, with no reserve power for passing or pushing up a steep grade.

    My point is that, with the inertial charging setup, we have only run out of battery boost power two or three times in fifteen years.

    That is, it f*cking well works.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

  28. #63
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    82,402

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    You've obviously never driven a hybrid and have zero understanding on the subject, only a crippling bias.
    lol
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  29. #64
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    11,133

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Dan has been a well respected automotive journalist, evaluator, and senior editor to Popular Science for more than 30 years. He drives a Prius.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

  30. #65
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Hell
    Posts
    82,402

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    Dan has been a well respected automotive journalist, evaluator, and senior editor to Popular Science for more than 30 years. He drives a Prius.
    and Motor Trend
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  31. #66
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    US
    Posts
    3,440

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    But the genius engineers have got to come up with a better transmission set up than the CVT on the hybrid. Not withstanding the cost of the replacement batteries, the cost to fix the transmission sucks.
    WBF=DNC

  32. #67
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    8,677

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    A kWh is 1000 watts per hour, so its pretty easy to compute charging time--the output of a battery is the same as the input, less charging/discharge losses. As for kvas, I don't know why a va is different from a watt, since a watt is amps x volts. I looked it up myself, but it's still not clear to me. Also would like to know what the ground-support generators actually power on aircraft. Do they have the capacity to start an engine?
    Dan we actually use high pressure air to start the engines. All of the transport category aircraft with jet engines do. The air is supplied either from an APU, which is itself a small turbine or from a start cart air compressor.
    The external power we plug into at the gate can power everything electrical on the jet. Lights, auxiliary hydraulic pumps, window and pitot/static heaters, galley ovens, etc. It's a big cord. 400hz and 3 phase btw.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  33. #68
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Marietta, GA
    Posts
    8,677

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    But the genius engineers have got to come up with a better transmission set up than the CVT on the hybrid. Not withstanding the cost of the replacement batteries, the cost to fix the transmission sucks.
    No kidding. I recently rented a Ford hybrid (Fusion?) the transmission felt like a rubber band. It got great mpg, but is was an absolute slug off the line to the point of being dangerous.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  34. #69
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan, USA
    Posts
    13,203

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by erster View Post
    But the genius engineers have got to come up with a better transmission set up than the CVT on the hybrid. Not withstanding the cost of the replacement batteries, the cost to fix the transmission sucks.
    Might note that most hybrids don't have a transmission pe se. They use a simple planetary gearbox much like a rear-axle differential. It should be quite cheap and durable. The cost of the electronic control system is another matter.

  35. #70
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Frankfort, MI
    Posts
    5,859

    Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Might note that most hybrids don't have a transmission pe se. They use a simple planetary gearbox much like a rear-axle differential. It should be quite cheap and durable. The cost of the electronic control system is another matter.
    Gee whiz...a planetary gear transmission...that will never work in a car...

    IMG_2089.jpg

    Jeff C
    Attached Images Attached Images

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •