Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 34

Thread: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

Default Re: VW rollerskate EV crossover coming

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Kat's right... no such thing as 'energy-free'. All such talk should be based upon a full 'life-cycle' evaluation that includes energy and pollution remediation from the time ore is mined, to the time the dead vehicle is scrapped/recycled/trashed. And... I suspect you are right that EV's would look good in such an analysis. But I don't recall ever actually SEEING such.
    I’m sure there is good analysis out there...I’m just too lazy to dig for it right now.

Jeff C

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    As a science project, the Insight was great. As a practical alternative for the masses, it was crap.
    No bias whatsoever.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! óCole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway View Post
    It's an opportunity to cut through the marketing hype and get real data straight from an owner who's been paying attention and talks like he knows his business.

But, apparently, you don't want to share. That's OK. Just thought I'd ask.
    A two-seater with a 3-cylinder engine that gets 60 mpg? I don't think there is a comparable vehicle. My estimate of savings is based on a comparison to a 30 mpg vehicle with an average fuel price of $3 per gallon.

There is no such thing as a pollution free automobile. Somewhere in it's life cycle it will be a pollution generator.

The Insight was born a crappy car and will die one as well. I say this as an engineer that worked with them and studied them when they first came out. They were not a practical solution for a daily driver for the vast majority of the motoring public.
    Yep, having worked with the vehicle and found it a piece of crap, makes me biased.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.

^ This is why I never give my opinion of someone else's boat design. There is always someone who feels that their personal ox has been gored.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

A point not made here: this will be a very nice HOV lane car for California. I want one of them pretty badly. It would save me 10 hours a week in urban driving here and get front door parking in many commercial buildings.

Until them, my soon to delivered new motorcycle will get +75 mpg and often front door parking.

Another big point - those who buy these cars will rarely if ever drive more tha 200 miles in a leg. If one would need to exceed 275 miles - they'd catch a train or a plane.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

Yep, having worked with the vehicle and found it a piece of crap, makes me biased.
    Interesting... that doesn't totally comport with my friends experience. In what ways did you find it lacking?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Michael --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

But I don't recall ever actually SEEING such.
    Because there is a green bubble of irrational happiness that surrounds all things EV in the minds of most of the population. It's not in the car-maker's interest to burst that bubble.

A point not made here: this will be a very nice HOV lane car for California. I want one of them pretty badly. It would save me 10 hours a week in urban driving here and get front door parking in many commercial buildings
    Excellent, real-world data point!

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Interesting... that doesn't totally comport with my friends experience. In what ways did you find it lacking?
    Only carried 2 people, no cargo capacity, under powered, uncomfortably ride, mileage not that great for the price.

Only carried 2 people, no cargo capacity, under powered, uncomfortable ride, mileage not that great for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Another big point - those who buy these cars will rarely if ever drive more than 200 miles in a leg. If one would need to exceed 275 miles - they'd catch a train or a plane.
    My first long-distance drive in the Insight hybrid was Laramie, WY to Corvallis OR and back. It had plenty of speed and acceleration for freeway driving. It also has greater range on a tank of gas than most cars. I filled the tank in Laramie, with one gas stop in Boise, ID. Filled it in Corvallis, and stopped again in Boise on the return. The Wolf Goddess has driven it to Kansas City a few times.

Since the problem of effective range is probably the greatest limiting factor for EVs, I'd guess there are quite a few engineers trying to work it out right now.

New hybids and EVS will have to make a noise while travelling under 19 mph by the end of 2019. I wonder what kind of noise they will make?

While out on Sunday biking on a very desolate county two lane a prius snuck up behind me. We usually pride ourselves on not impeding traffic since out little group does not race and we dont do pacelines, but there it was 20-feet back while we were riding side by side talking.

Not to complain though, looking forward to quieter traffic. Just curious about the noise.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

There are some good reports out there on EV compared to normal gas. Thats what I meant by green credibility turns out to not be so good. But , it is the way of the future and it will improve with solar in particular.
    One footprint report concluded that internal combustion won in some respects ( small economy cars) but EV won when compared to a more common gas hog.
    So that says to me its balanced about equal right now , but clearly going to change.

For example , biggest uptake of EV is China, in part because of a long history and knowledge base/ familiarity with electric vehicles.
    where does China get its electricity from?> coal power stations ( largely).Not exactly a great carbon footprint is it.
    However in more enlightened countries we might get power from a more clean source, the rules change.

Anyway , 'Gas' is over $2 a litre here, lets round that off and call it $8 a gallon. We're being raped.

I don't think there are many New Zealanders who wouldn't like the fuel conglomerates and companies to take a big nasty hit on profits, so we'll take up Electric as fast as its viable and available.
    Last edited by John B; 12-07-2017 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post
    New hybids and EVS will have to make a noise while travelling under 19 mph by the end of 2019. I wonder what kind of noise they will make?

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    I have been trained to immediately stop what I'm doing and administer treats and belly rubs when I hear those sounds. Not sure how that will work out with other peoples cars, but I like the concept.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by switters View Post

While out on Sunday biking on a very desolate county two lane a prius snuck up behind me. We usually pride ourselves on not impeding traffic since out little group does not race and we dont do pacelines, but there it was 20-feet back while we were riding side by side talking.

Not to complain though, looking forward to quieter traffic. Just curious about the noise.
    Lotus engineering has developed a sound system that makes an EV sound like anything you want. I picked the V12 Ferrari.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Wait - I'm confused...
    A planetary rear axle differential?
    A typical differential has a gear train that acts as a planetary set.

Next Nissan Leaf - available next year - will have 200+ mile range --

http://www.tflcar.com/2017/12/2019-leaf-200-mile-range/
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks