Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Black Pudding

Default Re: Black Pudding

I had home-made blood sausage on a farm in Austria many years ago. Quite different to black pudding or sausage. It was moist, not dry and crumbly. You weren't supposed to eat the casing - it was intestine from the same pig. I will eat British/Irish blood sausage, but I prefer the Austrian one.

Haggis is great, as long as it isn't too liverish.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine View Post
    I couldn't get past the 1st ingredient.
    What did you think it was, soot?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Not just in a fry-up either (much though I love it):

Pan-seared scallops, black pudding and crisp, smoked streaky bacon. Pure nectar !
    Nick

I'm a fan. Jews have a similar dish called kishka (or stuffed derma). Black pudding is similar in taste and the texture is common to both although kishka is more bread than oat based and of course, no pork products. Although it's been a few years since I've had an English breakfast in England, I've no doubt I'd enjoy having it again. Not a haggis fan.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

I don't imagine the Jewish version has blood in it, either. Haggis is best when served with the potatoes and mashed rutabagas, or with a similar sweet and starchy vegies. Onions, potatoes, and carrots work too.

Well, the Brazilians in the northeast have buchada de bode, a haggis-like thing made from a goat's or lamb's stomach, plus all the other internal bits they aren't quite sure what to do with and would otherwise be turned into cat food. No, I've never tried it.

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

I’ve only ever associated black pudding with Irish Breakfast so it’s interesting to see how wide spread it actually is. I’m aware that it is also considered an English thing but have never known a Brit who’d go near it, my wife or any of her extended family included (who bye the way all seem to associate it more with an Irish breakfast as well.....).
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    anyone else a fan?
    Oh YES please!

Clonakilty BP - the bench mark without question. Even if it does come from Cork.
    In Kerry, next county over, in Sneem they make it as a cake (not in sausage form), and you slice out wedges of it to serve.

I'm back in the Emerald Isle next week - I'll be tucking into this particular favourite with vigour.
    http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie...y-blackpudding
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Id rather go hungry than face that on my breakfast plate.

Quote Originally Posted by gypsie View Post
    Oh YES please!

Clonakilty BP - the bench mark without question. Even if it does come from Cork.
    In Kerry, next county over, in Sneem they make it as a cake (not in sausage form), and you slice out wedges of it to serve.

I'm back in the Emerald Isle next week - I'll be tucking into this particular favourite with vigour.
    http://www.clonakiltyblackpudding.ie...y-blackpudding
    Now if you couldn’t sneak one into your bag on the way back..........?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by robm View Post
    I don't imagine the Jewish version has blood in it, either. Haggis is best when served with the potatoes and mashed rutabagas, or with a similar sweet and starchy vegies. Onions, potatoes, and carrots work too.
    Right you are but they still have similar flavor and texture. Bunch of junk stuffed into a casing.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Good, though Irish sausages of all sorts seem a bit mild and lacking in spice. Most places put it on the bill of fare, but one usually has to request it, as they're accustomed to finicky sorts who've not tried it leaving it on the plate. At one place on Upper Goat Street in Dingle Town, I had black pudding, white pudding, sausages, ham, and rashers all on one plate: about half a pig, I reckon. Along with the fried eggs, beans and brown bread and all.

Wasn't able for lunch— my punishment for gluttony.
    We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

Quote Originally Posted by Whameller View Post
    Not just in a fry-up either (much though I love it):

Pan-seared scallops, black pudding and crisp, smoked streaky bacon. Pure nectar !
    Or crumbled over risotto, also with crisp bacon.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Well, the Brazilians in the northeast have buchada de bode, a haggis-like thing made from a goat's or lamb's stomach, plus all the other internal bits they aren't quite sure what to do with and would otherwise be turned into cat food. No, I've never tried it.

who could turn down this masterpiece? 10/10 for presentation. what is the crumbly orange stuff in the bowl?

No clue; I just C&Ped the photo. The geometrical patterns on the goat's stomach are interesting
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

No clue; I just C&Ped the photo. The geometrical patterns on the goat's stomach are interesting
    Honeycomb tripe, from the second of the three stomachs.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Bet you can't get Keith to try tripe.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

i've had tripe in some vietnamese hot pots. it really tastes like nothing.... but chews like an ear lobe.

I've actually had it in Vietnamese food, too. Put in enough hot peppers, I can eat almost anything. And in Costa Rica they have a soup called mondongo with tripe; not my favorite, but it's not bad.

Richard Feynman

I've had blood sausage, I've also had tripe. More than just once to say that I'd eaten it. But while living in Paris as a student, my favorite dinner was a nice thick slice of beef heart in gravy.
    "The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed." William Gibson

Thanks
    Here Piggy

I've actually had it in Vietnamese food, too. Put in enough hot peppers, I can eat almost anything. And in Costa Rica they have a soup called mondongo with tripe; not my favorite, but it's not bad.
    Herself has evil childhood memories of eating tripe. I'd never had it before I met Herself, and she's resolutely not permitted it into the house in the time I've known her.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

That's an offal shame.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    That's an offal shame.
    Perhaps. She'd experienced it as an offal trial.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

These are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    At one place on Upper Goat Street in Dingle Town, I had black pudding, white pudding, sausages, ham, and rashers all on one plate: about half a pig, I reckon. Along with the fried eggs, beans and brown bread and all.
    What! no pint a' stout?

Known as the 'Full Irish' breakfast.
    Or up in the north 'Fulariss'.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

In Ireland they poach tripe in milk with a smooth blood sausage called packet and chopped onions (the meal is creatively called 'Packet and Tripe') - the single most revolting thing I've ever eaten.

Turns out its a Limerick thing - my home town.

Packet and Tripe.jpg

Bad memories!!!

Black pudding, yes. I have a particular memory of black pudding and chips in Stornoway on a Saturday night in 1974.

Tripe.. not so much.

Before 1997, a group calling themselves the Tripehounds met for lunch every Thursday in the Hong Kong Club. The group consisted of the Governor, the Financial Secretary, the Chairman of the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank, the Taipans of Jardines and Swires and the Chief Justice. They met and lunched on tripe. The history was that at some point in the nineteen twenties the then Governor had spent the morning at the Legislative Council, was due to spend the afternoon the same way, and announced "I've had tripe all morning, I'll have tripe all afternoon, so I may as well have tripe for lunch!"

Consequently the Club always had tripe on the menu on Thursdays. The Chinese like tripe. The Japanese, not so much. It happened that I was involved in building a series of ships at a Mitsubishi yard and my Japanese opposite number and I would meet alternately at his place and mine. Ken set out to see just what the limits to this gaijin's tolerance of the wilder shores of Japanese cuisine was. I decided that I had had enough and took him to lunch at the Club on a Thursday, insisting that he enjoy some traditional English cuisine... From then on it was Kobe beef for me, in Japan...
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

An old yachting mate in NZ had a tradition: the last night at anchor he made tripe stewed in tomato sauce, that he'd learnt to cook in Italy, WWII with the British Marines. I fancied the stuff, but there were some greenish gills around the table. In the border states and in Mexico, I've had several varieties of menudo, which is a tripe stew in tomato sauce, usually with beans, garlic, onion, and heaps of hot red chile. It's sort of a guy thing: supposed to cure a hangover and/or put lead in your pencil.

We're merely mammals. Let's misbehave! —Cole Porter

I grew up on a farm and have spent quite a bit of time off and on working on sheep and cattle stations in News South Wales and the Northern Territory and whenever we’d kill a beast for meat the first couple of meals would be the various offal’s that were worth eating, while the meat hung for a day.

I can’t say that I enjoyed them all that much but one thing which I did come to enjoy while working on a cattle station was something that we called “milky gut” and which we’d cook in sort of stew sized pieces on the hot plate.

I’d never heard of it as a child on the farm when dad would kill and hang a beast so it didn’t fit with my knowledge of offal at the time and I never really bothered to ask - in so far as sometimes it’s better not to know - but I gather it was the intestine.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I think tripe and brains were the only things I absolutely refused to eat as a kid. Rabbit please. Bang!
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead