Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trailer hitch question.

Default Re: Trailer hitch question.

Quote Originally Posted by jpatrick View Post
    Do electric brakes survive being dunked into salt water?

Jeff
    I always disconnect the trailer plug before backing in - so lights don;t get juice when under water as well as the brakes.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    But they still don't give you the option of using the trailer to do the braking. Last year I picked up a small Kubota + a number of implements. Probably 5K lbs on a 2K trailer. The first 20 miles of my trip home were on small backroads covered with about 2" of wet snow. Using truck brakes simply slid the truck (even with the brakes set to bias towards the trailer) & begged the trailer to go first - IOW, not fun. Using the trailer brakes alone (& driving very slowly) I was able to control braking easily. Should I have been on the road with that load? Probably not, but it was 6PM, supposed to snow all night & at least those 20 miles from a motel.

I wouldn't have had this option with surge brakes.

@ Rich: The hitch looks great & I think it'll be nice having the tucked away factory setup.
    Surge brakes when properly installed have an orifice that limits flow in both directions. If you can give a quick application the surge cylinder will apply the brakes and remain on far longer than the tow vehicle helping to keep it behind you. This has saved my butt more than once, by preventing the trailer from passing me. In icy conditions it probably won't work. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages.

Do electric brakes survive being dunked into salt water?

Jeff
    No.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    I always disconnect the trailer plug before backing in - so lights don;t get juice when under water as well as the brakes.
    I used to disconnect the lights when launching but don't bother now that I've switched to LED.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Looks nice and the wiring should be more trouble free being tucked away like that.