Thread: Trailering - an interesting concept

Default Trailering - an interesting concept

David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    http://www.harborwoodworking.com/boat.html

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Trailering - an interesting concept

Priced at $26,995, the Turtlebacker is a substantial investment. But considering everything it brings to the table, it is an impressive mobile campsite with some surprisingly great amenities.
    Interwebz is full of DIY yourself versions built on utility trailers. Some folks build a base then cut the floor out of a tent and end up with popup camper style inside. Another company had one with a raised-able rack so you could leave kayaks up high and put the tent up underneath. The delta between DIY and commercial on some things makes owning all the tools worth it.

Looks like it would be a challenge to achieve a reasonable/ balanced tongue weight if used for most of the type of trailered boats built by Forumites. No?

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I see the point of getting off the ground where there are bears and snakes or whatever else might crawl into your sleeping bag in the middle of the night. Minor floods? But for most camping, I don't see where this approach pays off.
    -Dave

Maybe it is a matter of wanting to have cooler toys than the rest of your buddies? There is a bit of a Sprinter van competition going on between some of the folks I work with, the younger unmarried ones.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post
    Maybe it is a matter of wanting to have cooler toys than the rest of your buddies? There is a bit of a Sprinter van competition going on between some of the folks I work with, the younger unmarried ones.
    Well, there is that factor. My 37-year-old told me not long ago that I really ought to get one of these. Do you figure he'd want to borrow it?

-Dave