Thread: Good low odor oil based primer?

Default Good low odor oil based primer?

Iím repairing and refinishing my nine pilot house windows at home in my shop. Next step is to prime them (over old paint and some bare wood spots) but my shop is the garage under the kitchen in the house. Itís too cold and damp to paint outside. What is the most odor free yet quality product I might find for this? This is mostly a sealer, doesnít need to be high hide or high fill.

Default Re: Good low odor oil based primer?

If you don't need hiding or fill I'd just cut what you are using for a finish coat with a little mineral spirits and use that.
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

I would use shellac primer. It has a distinct odor, alcohol based, but it doesn't linger like mineral spirits (which is basically diesel oil)

I use lot of BIN, like it a lot but I don’t think it’s intended for exterior use. If you do use it wear a respirator, that alcohol base makes for a nasty headache.

IIRC,BIN is spec'd for exterior spot priming only, though I've done whole exterior pieces with it.
    Spraying it without a respirator or ventilation is a quick way to get wasted.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Petit EZ Prime is my new go to one part primer . I like it much better than Pre Coat.
    Most of the smells of paint is the solvent.
    Seek odorless paint thinner.
    (I use odorless paint thinner in my Primus cookers,big boat and small .I used to use it in kerosene wick lamps, but I got rid of all those things).

Pettit EZ Prime is my standard go to primer as well and my first choice for most things on the boat. But it is a long way from odor free and just not sure I can use it in the attached shop without driving her and the cats out of the house and making my oatmeal taste funny for a week. I can open the garage door and set up near the opening with a big fan, but I worry that may be too cold and damp for the paint to set properly. 40 - 45F and raining off and on. What do you think?

Just checked, Pettit says at 50F and below, drying times will be extended considerably. That might be my best option I guess.
    Last edited by ron ll; 11-25-2017 at 10:43 AM.

The System 3 water-based primer has worked well for me. It dries quickly, cleans up easily and I can't detect much of any odor. Perhaps being a 2 part system is a minor disadvantage.

https://www.systemthree.com/products...y-yacht-primer

Quote Originally Posted by bheys View Post
    The System 3 water-based primer has worked well for me. It dries quickly, cleans up easily and I can't detect much of any odor. Perhaps being a 2 part system is a minor disadvantage.

An interesting idea. That might be a good solution. Thanks, I’ll do some research on that.

When brushing, I use a water based primer for everything. It's not like the old days when water based couldn't be used under oil. If I can spray it, then I use the Bin product shown above if I have some. Otherwise I simply use a dewaxed clear shellac. The same thing without the pigment.

Jeff

This is not a specific recommendation, but may help decide with
    1) a list of name brand alternatives Coronado and Sherwin-Williams sound good, but ad copy and experience don't always match up well.
    2) and a description of the problems with formulating low VOC/low odor
    Management is the art of counting beans. Leadership is the art of making every being count. --Joe Finch

Quote Originally Posted by bheys View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    An interesting idea. That might be a good solution. Thanks, I’ll do some research on that.
    Might want to heat the garage. From the instruction sheet @ https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/10...68463801163671

APPLICATION

Temperature: Use SilverTip Yacht Primer or WR-LPU when the ambienttemperature is between 55 85įF.

Humidity: Higher humidity will allow the paint to stay wet longer. Thiswill allow easier maintenance of a wet edge, and better paint flow-outbefore drying.

And here in Seattle in late autumn, you shouldn't have any problems maintaining a wet edge and good flow-out with it
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

The garage/shop is heated. The problem is if I open the garage door and paint just inside the opening out of the rain.

I think painting the interior of a boat is ten times more hassle than painting the exterior.! In fact it could be even more than that! One problem that is really frustrating is to open up a boat and find that the previous painter failed to do a proper job and the paint is flaking off of the wood in big chips and chunks.
    Most often this is caused by those who seek to do quick and dirty job by applying a thick coat of oil based primer. The paint fails, later on, due to this misconception of how to apply paint to the inside of a boat. The thick primer sits on the surface of the wood and eventually looses its grip and starts to flake off under the enamel as moisture trys to escape from the wood beneath it. One really needs to sand, as much as possible, in order to create an opening of the grain. After a thorough vacuming and tacking off removal of the sanding dust, the first coat finish enamel is thinned with gum spirits of turpentine directly on the bare wood. This process really needs a large amount of ventilation and a good toxic filtration mask in order to prevent the fumes from turning your teeth to rubber as your head spins prior to your passing out! Be very aware of the need for good ventalation while painting an interior! Often it is best to do the job in sections and have an exhaust fan always running!

Once the first coat of enamel has soaked into the wood, the next coat is put on at a thinned consistency to allow smooth brush strokes. China Bristle brushes are almost a must for this kind of work as the bristles have flags on their tips that hold the paint and prevent it from running down the handle and your wrist when painting the over head. Foam brushes are not your friend here! Again if any thinning is needed, gum spirits of turpentine is your friend. Penetol, called "Slide" in the trade will make the work go smoother. Unfortunately it has been banned in most states now! Boiled linseed oil can be added in very, very small amounts in place of it. Measure it by the teaspoon or half of one. Usually this kind of work ends up taking a total of three coats of semi gloss oil based enamel. I still add just a touch of raw Sienna to white paint in order to give a bit of ivory tint to the paint which will hide most small imperfections. This trick of allowing the enamel to soak into the wood with the first coat and then applying the next two coats while the under coat is still tacky bonds the paint layers creating a single chemical bond.
    Having a fire extinguisher at the ready is a must do as well! Cutting in around varnished trim is made easier by using a Sign writing brush known as a "flat" or a "Grey Hound" This brush will afford better control than masking tape will! Still having an aborbant rag handy will allow you to clean up any drips or overbrushng.
    Jay
    Last edited by Jay Greer; 11-29-2017 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks Jay! All really good info. A slight difference here is that I am just painting the pilot house windows which I have removed from the boat and taken to my shop. So overhead painting and a small enclosed space are not considerations. But the problem I DO have is fume infiltration to the living spaces of the house as my shop is an attached garage. My current plan is to open the garage door and paint just inside with a large fan blowing out, and most importantly, doing it when she isn’t home.

That sounds like a plan Ron! Turpentine is not as toxic as mineral spirits according to folk lore. It does smell a lot better than paint thinner does!
    Good luck
    Jay