Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #stillnottired

Default #stillnottired

Trump is reshaping the federal judiciary in a way not seen in 45 years, and doing so with appointees notable for their youth and deeply conservative credentials. Congress is wasting no time in seeing his appointees confirmed, what with twice as many vacancies as were inherited by President Obama. I imagine many in Congress would like to see most of those seats filled before Trump's first term ends.

Trump will fade into the night either sooner or later. But his restoration of the Constitutional order will, mostly gratifyingly, endure for generations. It will be his greatest legacy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/24/trum...ommentary.html

Default Re: #stillnottired

You actually think these amazingly unqualified anti-judicial ideologues will "restore" constitutional order?

douchebaggery
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

not you mccolgin

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Trump is reshaping the federal judiciary in a way not seen in 45 years, and doing so with appointees notable for their youth and deeply conservative credentials. Congress is wasting no time in seeing his appointees confirmed, what with twice as many vacancies as were inherited by President Obama. I imagine many in Congress would like to see most of those seats filled before Trump's first term ends.

Trump will fade into the night either sooner or later. But his restoration of the Constitutional order will, mostly gratifyingly, endure for generations. It will be his greatest legacy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/24/trum...ommentary.html
    You might be the best troll in the bilge. I bow to your bigness!

Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

I would have thought the topic would be of some interest here. I think it is rather significant, myself.

it is significant and its douchebaggery

I would have thought the topic would be of some interest here. I think it is rather significant, myself.
    yes, you do think your thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    it is significant and its douchebaggery
    We're not even 10 posts in and you're already repeating yourself, Paul. I trust that you have something more useful and enlightening to add.

Why expect more of Paul than you do of Trump?
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    Why expect more of Paul than you do of Trump?
    Don't you?

Absolutely. And my expectations are well met too. But I don't see trouble with repeating things which are true. And I see great trouble in repeating actions - like appointments of shockingly unqualified jurists - to the Courts. I can see few more destructive approaches to your polity, actually.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Of course it's of interest. However, with the foxes guarding the henhouse, there's nothing we can do to prevent the appointment of unqualified political hacks that owe their jobs to the corporations & power brokers of DC.

Restocking the swamp, after doing their best to drain it of anyone even remotely qualified.

Appointing someone who's never argued in court to a federal judgeship? Vile. Of course those without a shred of decency think it's wonderful. I could wish those supporting it would be the only ones harmed, but unfortunately, we all will.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

The piece notes that none of it would be happening without the assistance of the Reid Rule, something that few Democrats opposed at the time. It is as if Democratic senators believed that their majority would endure for all time as would Obama's imperial presidency.

Now it is going to eat them up.

I guess the Reid Rule is pretty douchey too, eh?

yes, for sure harry reid is was and forever will be a douche, not the least of which for his being an absolute whore for the nra

SB - I sincerely admire your ability for critical observations regarding the collapsing political system. Your insights into Trump Populism as an insider are well formed despite being out of sync with the rest of the country that is the economic engine. where I find disappointment with your statements is the lock step regurgitation from the new minority olygarphs who lacking educational or historical perspective. taking joy in these numerous nominations of unfit or unqualified persons isn't what you wanted a year ago. The corner you paint yourself is making it difficult to take your often valid facts into consideration when the premise goes beyond basic separations of the the state, encroaches on the very means to adjust to the rapid changes to our demographics, seeks to break the pillars of our social compact and threatening the balancing of the democracy to ward off despot measures.
    Be wary of your critics, at peace with your decisions, and work hard to be a better man.

You speak, Ted, as if the values you hold for such judges are universal. They aren't. Perhaps my judicial priorities are simply different than yours. Indeed, with Trump largely stalemated, it is nice that he's getting some movement on one of the reasons that so many voted for him. As noted, none of it would be happening without Harry Reid. Back when it mattered, did you support Reid's rule changes, or oppose them? What responsibility do you share for these developments?

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

SB, there is simply not the equivalency you wish us to believe. The choice is not between competent jurists with shared commitment to your constitution and laws, but different interpretations. The choice is between such people of various interpretive schools, and people whose perspective brings incompetence and disgrace to your courts. This isn't my opinion alone, it's the stated opinion of your most prominent associations of legal professionals.

If someone wanted to bring the Courts into disrepute and confusion, this would be how to do it. Hardly "defending the Constitution" eh?

The Senators, virtually all of them lawyers, have the advise and consent function, not the ABA, which itself has become converged. Trump committed during the campaign to appoint judges satisfactory to the Federalist Society, not the ABA. And that is exactly what he has done.

I think the degeneration of the candidates is what bothers me most. I'm not a fan of Gorsuch's politics, but at least he is a qualified jurist. I still believe he'll undermine people's rights in favor of corporate interests, but at least he won't be doing it through incompetence.

That being said, he's doing a good job of screwing up the SCOTUS. Just what you tear it all down folks want.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Heath Ledger's "Joker" as interpretive lens for jurist selection.

Serves the interests of folks who want Constitutional Democracies to fail rather well, eh?

You speak, Ted, as if the values you hold for such judges are universal. They aren't. Perhaps my judicial priorities are simply different than yours. Indeed, with Trump largely stalemated, it is nice that he's getting some movement on one of the reasons that so many voted for him. As noted, none of it would be happening without Harry Reid. Back when it mattered, did you support Reid's rule changes, or oppose them? What responsibility do you share for these developments?
    Why are you bringing up Reid. He is long gone. As for my elected officials: Dianne Feinstein has be a good in promoting my values. Another one of my representives is Barbara Lee. I find her values and viewpoints are often mine. http://lee.house.gov/.

I don't like politicans who are racists, those who seek to divide us, seek to disenfranchize the weak and the poor further, take away healthcare from the most needy and seek to further enrich the richest by continuing to gut the middle class. Trump and his group are not interested or capable in bipartician political reform and getting good laws passed. When the government refuses to have open dialogs on policy and works to hide their narrow moneyed interests - we all loose.

We obviously observe the same phenomena coming away with very different truths about the value and meaning of such events. Nor am I nearly the idealist you are.

I will say that I have voted for Dianne since her first Senate campaign and in every election since. She would have made for a fine President.

We obviously observe the same phenomena coming away with very different truths about the value and meaning of such events. Nor am I nearly the idealist you are.
    true. the difference is that I work to make my community better both through community service, direct local civic politics and voting. I recognize the inherent evils that lurk when bad actors actively seek to enrich themselves and work to reduce the rights of individual citizen's representation and while increasing the damaging influence of power due the growing inequity of wealth distribution.

if you think about all this this - the whole concept of the United States as written by our founding fathers is about idealism. How can we have a country where men live in a pragmatic ideal state. As a believer, why would we want anything less for ourselves.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 11-24-2017 at 10:49 PM.

Sb seems to be suffering from ADS.

I'm surprised the OP thinks this is new. The GOP has been supporting the placement of unqualified and absurdly young right-wing activist judges onto the federal bench for several decades. We're seeing the harm they do and thanks to a remarkably unqualified POTUS it will now get worse. I can't imagine celebrating such a thing.

It is new. The point of the piece is that no President in the last 45 years has had the power to shape the court like Trump now has.

That moron Trump has nothing to do with it. Harry Reid killed the filibuster for judicial nominations and Grassley has now killed the 'Blue slip' rule, so the Senate has given any Administration the power to appoint whoever they want. Trump wouldn't know a good judge from a bad one. His people tell him who to appoint and he blindly signs the piece of paper. He's totally ignorant of anything to do with governing.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Trump wouldn't know a good Judge from a bad one
    Oh, I don't know. Trump's sister is a 3rd Circuit federal court judge.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I'm surprised the OP thinks this is new. The GOP has been supporting the placement of unqualified and absurdly young right-wing activist judges onto the federal bench for several decades. We're seeing the harm they do and thanks to a remarkably unqualified POTUS it will now get worse. I can't imagine celebrating such a thing.
    Messing with absurdly young minds, for fun and profit? Seems to have been a very successful strategy, given the remarkable transfer of wealth over ther last few decades, aided by a compliant legal system.

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Being as the bottom 50% of income taxpayers pay less than 3% of income taxes, just how is the gov't responsible for the income redistribution that you deride.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by mdh View Post
    Being as the bottom 50% of income taxpayers pay less than 3% of income taxes, just how is the gov't responsible for the income redistribution that you deride.
    The govt have facilitated the legal framework which has made it possible for the top three percent to control whatever their obscenely large proportion of wealth is.
    By having a disproportionatly large influence in the make up and "inclination" of the judiciary, the playing field gets tilted more and more in their favour.
    Do you think extreme income inequality is a good thing, beneficial for a societies long term stability and survival?

Pete
    Don't underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    Oklahoma receives more in federal spending than it pays out in taxes. It is one of the welfare states, a beneficiary of income redistribution. An Oklahoman would have to move to, say, California or New York, to avoid being on the dole.
    Oklahoma receives more federal dollars due to it's having more military bases, federal offices, and injuns than most of the other states.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country. John Fn Kennedy. (D)

Quote Originally Posted by epoxyboy View Post
    The govt have facilitated the legal framework which has made it possible for the top three percent to control whatever their obscenely large proportion of wealth is.
    By having a disproportionatly large influence in the make up and "inclination" of the judiciary, the playing field gets tilted more and more in their favour.
    Do you think extreme income inequality is a good thing, beneficial for a societies long term stability and survival?

Pete
    What do you propose to remedy the situation? Just confiscate it? Redistribute it? Do it again?