Thread: Lumber Yard Skiff Rear Bench Seat

Default Lumber Yard Skiff Rear Bench Seat

I am about 3/4's of the way into building my 16' LYS and I was looking for ideas to build a rear bench seat to hide the fuel tanks and provide a place to relax when fishing. I was looking for ideas on how wide it should be, because I don't want to lose any more deck space than necessary. Also, I am undecided about what to build it out of, 3/4 marine plywood or plank it with 1X4 fir (spaced between the planks).
    Thank you in advance for any input on this!
    Pat

Default Re: Lumber Yard Skiff Rear Bench Seat

Sounds like an aesthetic choice to me. Both methods would provide a suitable bench. It comes down to the look you want. Personally I would opt for the planked bench. Nothing at all wrong with using 3/4" plywood, but IMHO a wooden boat looks better with planked benches and floors.

Yeah, do something a little more than just this corner seat I put in my LYS. I'm picturing an Adirondack-style seat which faces port so that you're leaning on the starboard coaming. A nice, contoured seat with a comfortable, curved back, armrests and drink holders...

Depending on the size of your motor (and you), a couple of full fuel tanks right against the transom could add up to a lot of weight. I get the need to keep deck space clear, but you may have to shift fuel forward for a better ride. Like my wicked old skiff I had back in the 80's (below). Good luck and post pictures!

The size of your fuel tank might suggest the width of the seat?

My LYS is going to have a CC and a box behind it that will both house a cooler/storage, and provide a mount for the seat. I had planned to install rear seat as well. But the more I thought about the loss of deck space, and the added wgt of someone sitting back there, coupled with the wgt of a gas tank, I decided to nix it. I am going to have two transom supports that will be spaced to allow the gas tank to nestle in between them.

Check out this link. There are endless options in seating from zip to opulent. This issue is one I will be dealing with once I get my Russel R flipped and get to decide how it will be laid out. Have fun looking.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1501&bih=909