Thread: Anyone built a Devlin designed boat?

Default Anyone built a Devlin designed boat?

Hello all,

new to the forum and am starting to do some research on building a boat. I came across the Devlin website and there are many choices. Being a novice to boat building and wooden boats (I own a fiberglass 18' runabout at the moment) I'm interested in other's experiences with Devlin's plans and methods.

I'm thinking of building a 12'-16' skiff, but being a big Tugboat fan their Tugzilla 26' sure is tempting, but not realistic.

https://www.devlinboat.com/2016/03/tugzilla-26/

Look forward to hearing about member's experiences good or bad.

Mike

Default Re: Anyone built a Devlin designed boat?

I built his 14' Cackler design 20 years ago. It's still going strong and is in my shop this winter for minor repairs.
    Welcome to the Forum!
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

I bought Devlin's plans for an Oarling and built a modified version with a forward-facing rowing system.

The drawings and dimensions were really good. The written instructions were not up to my expectations. But, since it was my 9th build I did not need the instructions. All I needed were the lofting dimensions and they were fine.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Was Toms Larkins boat a tugzilla?
    Last edited by wizbang 13; 11-23-2017 at 01:12 PM.

I've completed two Devlin sailboats (13'6" Zephyr, 18'8" Winter Wren) and now have a third under construction (21'3" Song Wren). I thoroughly endorse his designs.

The stitch-and-glue system is not as painless or foolproof as it's often touted, but all things considered, it might be the simplest of the half-dozen methods for building a wooden boat. And you end up with a strong, lightweight hull that won't ever leak or rot as long as the fiberglass skin isn't compromised.

Devlin's plans are clear and unfussy. I have occasionally encountered dimensional errors or contradictions, but these are not big problems if you work carefully and methodically, thinking through each step (and several steps ahead, actually) before switching on the saw. His more recent designs (post-2000, roughly), drawn with CAD, are considerably more detailed than the earlier ones still in his catalog. He favors designs that are modern riffs on classic forms, and he keeps them relatively simple in the sense that there are no unnecessary complications for the sake of fancy effects. Still, Devlin's boats take remarkably graceful forms: they don't look like they started out as piles of plywood.

I think you're wise to be looking at a 13'-16' skiff (such as the Candlefish) for your first build. I know amateurs who have successfully completed one of the more complicated designs first time out, but I don't think I could have.

Larry is being rather modest-he did more than just build a Devlin boat,he wrote an engaging book about the process.It may be a helpful aid to a first time builder as well as a good read.

I am drawn to his 28' cutter design, "Means of Grace". She is a wholsome looking boat!

Incidently, that forward facing rowing system is a Herreshoff invention.
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    Larry is being rather modest-he did more than just build a Devlin boat,he wrote an engaging book about the process.It may be a helpful aid to a first time builder as well as a good read.

Thanks for the replies guys, have a lot to learn before I dig in and start a build. Incidentally, I just placed an order for that book, some more first hand info will be valuable.

Larry, the Candlefish 13 is the front runner at the moment.
    Last edited by 80OldCS; 11-23-2017 at 07:19 PM.