Thread: Sloepen boat

Default Sloepen boat

I see an sloep boat, may be about 20 ft. Is there a plan in WB?
    Enrique

Default Re: Sloepen boat

Scuse me Johnw, I see one called sloep boat, but it look like a captain boat. I see she in a german page.
    Searching more, I find images like thisCaptains_Launch_Kapiteinsloep_8_meter_330_330_65_s_c1.jpg There are double ended too, and capable for six persons aboard whith a lengh about 20- 24 ft. Do you think I could find a plan?

Thumbs up Re: Sloepen boat

Johnw; Here another fotosSloep boat 2.jpgCaptain launch.jpg this last look less heavy. And is an american design.

Looks more like a Naval cutter or barge.
    Something like this?

http://www.bmpt.org.uk/pnbpt_histori...tter/index.htm

Ask your library if they can borrow this, it has some small caft
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Architectur.../dp/0486451550

Then there is this http://atlanticchallenge.org/the-gigs/the-gigs/
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Sorry, 'sloepen' is the root word for sloop, so I assumed it had the same meaning. The type you show is, in English, a launch, or at least I think that's what you mean.

https://www.woodenboatstore.com/cate...erboat_plans/a

Thanks Peerie; I will try your links. I think a Captain boat is no more than a 23 ft boat, a row boat whith a motor. May be a wooden boat or a ply wood one.
    Another option is a launch like the Hinckel. The idea is a boat for a randevous in the lake whith the family.
    But the plans are necesary.

You are right John, searching, i find and expanation about the word in deush. Only in english mean a sail boat.
    But the Captain boat is nearest to the idea in german.
    Excuse my english, Im no used in it
    Enrique

You mean like a Captain's Gig?

Or are you thinking more like a yawl boat?

Note: both those terms yield very poor google search results.

Quote Originally Posted by enrique bruna View Post
    You are right John, searching, i find and expanation about the word in deush. Only in english mean a sail boat.
    But the Captain boat is nearest to the idea in german.
    Excuse my english, Im no used in it
    Enrique
    Not a problem. Did you mean what we call a launch?

Well,I think a launch is , usualy a motor boat, an open boat, a work boat ( oposite to luxury boat),and for four people or more. This is a launch in my country ( We say lancha)
    I find another foto,launches-03.jpg wonderfull boat! I do not know the lengh but I asume 20 ft and a little internal motor, it cannot be seeing.It is from Shannon, but they have not plans.

The Captain Gig is interesting too. are there a plan?

It is 22 hr here, thanks boys, tomorrow we wil speak again about boats.
    Enrique

Quote Originally Posted by enrique bruna View Post
    Well,I think a launch is , usualy a motor boat, an open boat, a work boat ( oposite to luxury boat),and for four people or more. This is a launch in my country ( We say lancha)
    I find another foto,launches-03.jpg wonderfull boat! I do not know the lengh but I asume 20 ft and a little internal motor, it cannot be seeing.It is from Shannon, but they have not plans.
    Launches can be workboats, sometimes a yacht club will have a club launch. There used to be a lot of fantail launches, which tended to be more ornate. In what way does the sloepen differ?

If you're thinking of a pulling boat, Mystic Seaport has plans for a 20' Whitehall that is sort of a shorter version of a Captain's gig.

wsp_2005_3_7_147.jpg
    https://store.mysticseaport.org/ship...all-model.html

An actual gig would probably be 25' or more.

I think you are looking for a sloep, very popular in Holland.

Here are some plans: http://www.bootbouwer.nl/?ref=/lageweg.html

And building pictures: http://www.bootbouwer.nl/?ref=/lageweg.html

The site you refered to is not german ,it is dutch
    The type of boat in the picture is a "kapiteins sloep" The lines of the sloep ( launch) are a bit simular to the whitehall wherry's only bigger

You are OK Wjboon, the mistake occur because in Chile we know deutch for the languaje, and german for the people of Deutchland. Realy, dutch is holander as yuo mean.
    The boat in the foto is 6,75 mt x 2,36 mt beam, the construction method is easy, but I think it is a little short. 7 or 7, 50 mt would be better to 8 people aboard, but I cannot find a plan. If you know where to find one, I will be gratefull.
    The plan may be a hull plan only, the rest of the building is easy to build. the idea is to use a outboard motor with the same aft comander wheel (Im not sure if Im writting reasonablement, Im not used to english)
    I see the Captain gig of CLC. It is very narrow, the idea is like the fotos distribution of seats.

From Paul Fisher

You might be able to put an outboard in a well. http://www.selway-fisher.com/Mc2130.htm

Paul, the one in the foto is preety, I visit selway site, but the preferred is one from Holland. The building method is ply planks over a mould, and easy to build. The plans provide all the direcctions to build.
    Ive build from CLC, from Sandy Point, From WB, etc. But ,as you say, to make work an outboard whith a wheel is another thing !
    It is no easy to find the proper plan for the boat like Captain sloep of 23-25 ft.

Paul Fisher of Selway design will draw you up an outboard well if that is what you want, adding a wheel console to an outboard is no problem.Its the closest plans i have seen to a sloep, but you might find a genuine one from a Dutch designer.

Have you seen Bolgers Fishermans launch? It could be extended, build in strip plank, or convert to ply plank.

Bolgers Halloween (design 211) is 25’6” x 6’10” (drawings in Small Boats (and consequently in Bolger Boats) or Shadow (design 403) in 30 Odd Boats Is the same length but 7’ wideBoth were designed for outboard power and would probably accommodate what you want. Plans presumably still available from his widow, Suzanne Altenburger.

If, on the other hand, you have a plan for a boat you like, but you would like it longer, old practice would have been to build on longer centers (assuming a 23’ boat were designed to be built with stations every 24”, you can increase the boat to 27’ by increasing the distance between stations accordingly and lofting again. (It’s not a good idea to overdo this).

The thing you really need to decide is the conditions under which you expect to use the boat. It is completely different to potter around a bay on a nice day to having to get home in a storm or against waves. The “sloepen” I see in the pictures above look to be very much displacement craft (and consequently relatively slow).

image.jpg

image.jpg

In general outboard motors function much better on the stern than in a well. However, this tends to force a wider stern to support the weight. You will notice that on the later design the motor is between sponsons at the stern which hide it somewhat and should also provide support/reduce weight.

Both these boats have center/rear consoles.

David
    Santiago, Chile

there is this Atkin plan that may interest you. About 7.5m in length, inboard power

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Utilities/Pennant.html

As an ex owner of a sloepen (one built by Kerstholt - sloep en bootbouwer of Groningen Holland), I can vouch for the lines posted by Nick in #5.......except for the fact that my sloepen was a double ender, with lines forward of the same midship section being what I am familiar with.

Having a transom stern would be better as far as motor fitment goes.