Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: Hiking and Fly Fishing Snowy Mountains Australia

Default Re: Hiking and Fly Fishing Snowy Mountains Australia

Have you tried a "new Zealand rig"?

Dry fly on the tippet and a small nymph on 450 mm of tippet material ( often fluorocarbon) tied to the bend of the dry hook.

Interesting way to explore different depths.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Great thread Greg. It's made me get my fly rods out of the back of the wardrobe and consider my options re time. I too have my grandfathers fly boxes, and also his Hardy reel and split cane lake rod. I have a couple of smaller ones of my own. Cane and glass.
    Seems a waste to not use them any more, I used to live at Falls Creek for a while and they got a work out every couple of days in summer.

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Have you tried a "new Zealand rig"?

Dry fly on the tippet and a small nymph on 450 mm of tippet material ( often fluorocarbon) tied to the bend of the dry hook.

Interesting way to explore different depths.
    I’ve not heard it called a “New Zealand rig” before, but I have fished with droppers like that before, though as all the feeding this weekend and the weekend before seemed to be surface I didn’t bother this time around.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Great thread Greg. It's made me get my fly rods out of the back of the wardrobe and consider my options re time. I too have my grandfathers fly boxes, and also his Hardy reel and split cane lake rod. I have a couple of smaller ones of my own. Cane and glass.
    Seems a waste to not use them any more, I used to live at Falls Creek for a while and they got a work out every couple of days in summer.

You really must Jeff, Victoria has some of the nicest fly fishing rivers on mainland Oz
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by Whameller View Post
    Thanks Greg - great photos and very evocative.

Have you ever read a 1950's novel by Nevil Shute 'The Far Country' ? Some very good descriptions of fishing in forest mountain rivers in (I think) Victoria ?
    Thanks for the reminder of this terrific book Nick, I’d read it many years ago but downloaded it to my phone on the basis of your post and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it afresh over the last week while flying around the country. It really is a delightful description of a glorious part of Victoria, the Howqua valley and Merrijig - not all that far as the crow flies from where I was born (Mitta Mitta valley) - and of much simpler times........idyllic here in Australia whilst difficult in the UK and Europe.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

'Planning an early start to head up to Threadbo river tomorrow morning (Sunday) so I have dug out my fly tying gear to see what materials I still have and to have a go at trying to remember how to tie some flies - specifically some Wooly Buggers to use tomorrow.

It’s a few years since I’ve sat down and tied anything and when I did it was mostly salt water flies, though I do still have one or two somewhat worse for wear (and suspiciously tied) Woolly Buggers and stimulators, along with a few others who’s names I have forgotten and a few that I just made up out of what materials I had left or for a bit of fun to see what they’d look like.

It turned out that I didn’t actually have much in the way of what I wanted for a few traditional Wooly Buggers but I made an attempt with what I had and from memory anyway and ended up with what I’ve called the “Green gilled ranga’"

[IMG]IMG_0404 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

If I catch something on this you’ll never hear the end of it - (and I’ll be buying a lottery ticket).

Then I actually looked up a recipe and instructions and went and bought some materials this arvo’ to have a crack at a black bead-headed wooly bugger and this is my first attempt at that

[IMG]IMG_0407 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not perfect, but for a fat fingered fumbler I’m happy with it........two or three more to lose in the bushes on my back cast and I’m ready for an early start.

As an aside, here are a few that I found floating loose in the bottom of my fly tying gear box - I tied them some time ago in Western Australia I think, a couple of them to patterns and one or two made up from what I had to see how different materials and different ways of doing things came out.

[IMG]IMG_0406 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Enjoy the trip up to Thredders. I absolutely love the road from Khancoban to Thredbo, not that I expect you'll be going in from that side.... unless you want to do some extra miles and enjoy the corners. I've done it late in the day a couple of times... when there's no other traffic on the road. Had a bit of an issue one trip - came over the hill at Tom Groggin and there was a mob of roos on the road. I chased a big buck down the hill, brake pedal rattling away as the ABS did it's thing.... other roos either side of me. We all escaped that one.

Incidentally, I've done it in M5 (twice), M6 and, ahem, X5. All a lot of fun.

Enjoy the streams. Nice time of year up there.
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Enjoy the trip up to Thredders. I absolutely love the road from Khancoban to Thredbo, not that I expect you'll be going in from that side.... unless you want to do some extra miles and enjoy the corners. I've done it late in the day a couple of times... when there's no other traffic on the road. Had a bit of an issue one trip - came over the hill at Tom Groggin and there was a mob of roos on the road. I chased a big buck down the hill, brake pedal rattling away as the ABS did it's thing.... other roos either side of me. We all escaped that one.

Incidentally, I've done it in M5 (twice), M6 and, ahem, X5. All a lot of fun.

Enjoy the streams. Nice time of year up there.
    Thanks Ian - the Amarok is no racing car and there are indeed a lot of roos around so I tend to take it pretty slow and steady anyway.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I meant to add regarding the “Green gilled ranga’” - ranga’ is an Australian nick name for a red-head, short for:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Thanks for the reminder of this terrific book Nick, I’d read it many years ago but downloaded it to my phone on the basis of your post and have thoroughly enjoyed reading it afresh over the last week while flying around the country. It really is a delightful description of a glorious part of Victoria, the Howqua valley and Merrijig - not all that far as the crow flies from where I was born (Mitta Mitta valley) - and of much simpler times........idyllic here in Australia whilst difficult in the UK and Europe.
    Glad you enjoyed it, Greg. My grandfather was Shute's literary agent, so we have a lot of his books around the house.
    Nick

The Thredbo river:

Well I didn’t rush out to buy a lotto ticket but I can honestly say that my “green gilled ranga’” was the only thing that sparked any interest of any kind throughout the day yesterday.

Despite getting a reasonably early start, the 2 1/2 hr drive, a stop for a coffee along the way, a chat with some fishermen on their way home, some wasted time taking the a turnoff too soon to where I was aiming for and another chat to some fishermen meant that it was about 10.30am and already quite warm by the time I got on the river.

And although the general consensus here is that at this time of year you’d generally be able to fish quite successfully all day, yesterday didn’t prove such a day and everyone that I spoke to much later in the day said the same - that the fish just turned off at about 10am........

There were plenty there and I could see them perfectly clearly in gin clear water, but they were hugging the bottom and although my "green gilled ranga’” (when I could get it to sink a bit) was the only thing that got them to rise, they never took it.

Regardless, it was an absolutely glorious day and I spent as much, if not more time just sitting on the bank watching the water, the fish and the clouds and pretty much relaxing in a felling of somewhat amazed bliss.............. I never get over just how stunning this country can be!!!

I started at an area just below a trout hatchery that had been recommended, up from where the Thredbo river runs into Lake Jindabyne, and pretty much worked my way back to the lake. You can hike the 2 1/2km along the river through the hatchery and fish above it but this was another “familiarisation" trip and I’ll save that for another time.

Lake Jindabyne (I see my clock on my camera is about 2 hours fast, this was about 10am on my way to the river):

[IMG]DSC_0031 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0030 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0029 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thredbo river, just below the trout hatchery

[IMG]IMG_0410 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 12-11-2017 at 03:13 PM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

[IMG]DSC_0040 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0409 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0411 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0412 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0414 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Fancy living here? This is someone’s weekender:

[IMG]IMG_0419 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

[IMG]DSC_0045 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Wombat holes:

[IMG]IMG_0424 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

No shortage of snakes, this was just a littley’:

[IMG]IMG_0422 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

hugging the bottom, this little one was about 4’ down

[IMG]DSC_0054 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0051 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

[IMG]IMG_0427 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0425 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0045 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The mouth of the river at Lake Jindabyne

[IMG]DSC_0061 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Closer to the mouth the going was a bit tougher and access more difficult, steep sided valley and lots of dense scrub:

[IMG]DSC_0071 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0101 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

[IMG]IMG_0435 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0429 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0065 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0067 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0049 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

A gruesome photo, but the wild dogs around here are a real problem for livestock:

[IMG]DSC_0037 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

[IMG]DSC_0110 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0106 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0103 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0094 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]DSC_0059 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Greg I do a bit of fly fishing, particularly in the Cudgegong River- it flows within fifteen minutes of my place but the trout are mostly east of Mudgee about forty minutes away. I usually start the day with a brass bead bodied nymph in the runs and rapids below the pools ( If you buy beads to make the nymphs they are expensive, so I buy really cheap brass swivels and pull them apart). Usually get a fish within half an hour or so, and then use a marrow scoop to see what they have been feeding on- you can check the stomach contents of the fish without hurting it which is great if you want to release it. You will catch a lot of fish in the broken water, although sight fishing the pools is addictive And you need to learn to roll cast- if you can do away with the dependency on back casting you greatly increase your options and you avoid a lot of arm waving as well. JayInOz

just caught up with thread
    evocative travel, hiking, fishing photos thanks for taking the time to post them
    --> the gps tracker photo looks like one of those maps you see posted of house cat wandering around a neighborhood
    take your time the catching of fish will come
    looking forward to more
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thanks Jay. The early morning fishermen that I was chatting too yesterday all said they’d been having most success with Stimulators and Wooly Buggers so I’d started with them. I had the early interest in my “green gilled ranga’” wooly bugger but when that went off and the day warmed up more I was seeing quite a few small moths about I went to a small Royal Wolf and then added a beaded nymph dropper to try and get down a bit deeper. I’d left my sink tip line at home so really didn’t know what else to do than experiment and as the sun started to go down a bit and the bugs came out I went to a Caddis for a while before going back to the Ranga’ to try and fluke something before packing it in......

I did try the broken water up near the trout farm but when another couple arrived it seemed a bit crowded for me and an earlier guy had said that he’d had better success further down where the clearer pools were and I found a drop off where I could clearly see a few small 4-6” fish and a couple of much bigger 12”+ looking beauties.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I take it that's a wombat hole on the bank?

They were dingoes strung up in the tree, weren't they?
    "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

As the winter sets in here, and the ground turns white and the water all crusty, a thread like this is like a warm breeze through a screen window -- thanks for bring us all along with you.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    just caught up with thread
    evocative travel, hiking, fishing photos thanks for taking the time to post them
    --> the gps tracker photo looks like one of those maps you see posted of house cat wandering around a neighborhood
    take your time the catching of fish will come
    looking forward to more
    Thanks Paul, the Thredbo river is well worth the trip there so I’m hoping to get away straight after work on Friday and camp on the river overnight next time so that I can get a much earlier start on the water.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Larks, thanks for posting this. Trout season is over for now in California, so I'm fishing vicariously thru you!

That is some nice looking water! Thanks again,
    Ralphie

Some of your pictures look like there's under cut banks beneath those bushes, I would reach cast those every 3 steps up stream. And again thanks I'm putting the ice fishing gear together, it's something but not nearly as much fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Some of your pictures look like there's under cut banks beneath those bushes, I would reach cast those every 3 steps up stream. And again thanks I'm putting the ice fishing gear together, it's something but not nearly as much fun.
    I never thought the under cut banks here cover the fish from eagles hawks and ospreys do you have those in the snowy mountains?

I'm trying to find my old pics of when I lived in a ski resort and fished round the mountains and rivers. But that was late 60's early 70's and they may not have survived. But I have gotten the rod's out and had a practice in the garden.

Greg you won't be needing a sink tip line for the broken water you'll encounter down there. You'll be using your floating fly line as your indicator- any momentary pause as the nymph bumbles along the bottom and you assume it's a fish and lift the rod tip. Use a shortish leader, start close to your side of the stream and work further out with each cast so the fly line isn't drifting over your fish.
    When I started fly fishing here about forty years ago, a friend told me that on a good day I'd average about a fish an hour. I thought that sounded terrible! But you get a few rises to your flies, a couple of near misses and spooked fish, and four or five fish on the bank, and you realize that it's actually worked out to about a fish an hour and you've had a ball. By the way- with Redfin Perch on a good day it averages out at a strike per fifteen casts JayInOz

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    Greg you won't be needing a sink tip line for the broken water you'll encounter down there. You'll be using your floating fly line as your indicator- any momentary pause as the nymph bumbles along the bottom and you assume it's a fish and lift the rod tip. Use a shortish leader, start close to your side of the stream and work further out with each cast so the fly line isn't drifting over your fish.
    When I started fly fishing here about forty years ago, a friend told me that on a good day I'd average about a fish an hour. I thought that sounded terrible! But you get a few rises to your flies, a couple of near misses and spooked fish, and four or five fish on the bank, and you realize that it's actually worked out to about a fish an hour and you've had a ball. By the way- with Redfin Perch on a good day it averages out at a strike per fifteen casts JayInOz
    Yes, that’s pretty much why I’d left it at home but it would have been nice to try it on a couple of those long calm deep stretches you’ll see in the photos and at the river mouth in the lake. I’m using a weight forward floating line and I think the Red Wolf as an indicator with the beaded nymph dropper was actually the right rig for the afternoon (but it had me on the other end of it )
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I never thought the under cut banks here cover the fish from eagles hawks and ospreys do you have those in the snowy mountains?
    Plenty of birds of prey here Chris, the bigger trout are very shy and easily spooked and take a bit of stalking - they love the overhangs. The smaller ones don’t seem quite so shy.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I dreamt about fly fishing last night.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

my first attempt at a Wooly Bugger
    That'll fish nicely. Dredge that thing deep and slow, just ticking the bottom, probing cutbanks and rock ledges and searching the current edges deep in the pools.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    That'll fish nicely. Dredge that thing deep and slow, just ticking the bottom, probing cutbanks and rock ledges and searching the current edges deep in the pools.
    It’ll also dabble sunlight, under the rift and over the draught, drag slow and yawn fast, tickle the yonder just aft of depth.
    bccphalarope(dot)com

I enjoy fly fishing.
    Beautiful photos of a lovely Aussie are BUT I hate snakes....so no!!!
    I once thought I was wrong, but I was wrong, I wasn't wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie 2 View Post
    I enjoy fly fishing.
    Beautiful photos of a lovely Aussie are BUT I hate snakes....so no!!!
    they’re not as scary as your Weta’s - and they’re generally more scared of you than you are of them, they get out of the road unless you make the mistake of sneaking up on them.

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I'm enjoying your thread too Greg, are there any platypus in those holes ?
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead