Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hiking and Fly Fishing Snowy Mountains Australia

Default Re: Hiking and Fly Fishing Snowy Mountains Australia

Great thread Greg. Thanks.

Re the steam engine - there's plenty of old iron out in the hills. This one was a bit over a day's ride south of your place, when I stayed overnight in 2011 (thanks again). It's on the northern border of the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome and charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime" Mark Twain... so... Carpe the living sh!t out of the Diem

I'd rather look back at my life and say "I can't believe I did that" instead of being there saying "I wish I'd done that"

Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    Thanks for the thread Greg, I really appreciate and enjoy the photos and reading your commentary and observations. Beautiful country. That river looks like nice canoeing water.

Re. fishing small headwaters, and casting into/under tight places ... 'tenkara'?
    tenkara? now that’s something new to me but it’s something that looks very interesting from a quick Google sneak while I’m at work - I can see that I am going to be spending this evening watching some of the vid’s and reading more about it. My first impression is that it’d make for a great light weight and much simplified addition to my hiking kit when I’m out just for a hike and come across an opportunity to flick a line, as opposed to specifically heading out for a fly fishing trip.
    Larks

“It’s impossible”, said pride.
    “It’s risky”, said experience.
    “It’s pointless”, said reason.
    “Give it a try”, whispered the heart.

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Quote Originally Posted by The Bigfella View Post
    Great thread Greg. Thanks.

Re the steam engine - there's plenty of old iron out in the hills. This one was a bit over a day's ride south of your place, when I stayed overnight in 2011 (thanks again). It's on the northern border of the Oxley Wild Rivers National Park

Looks similar but more complete Ian
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

"Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great!"

Yesterday, Sunday, was all about finding and exploring a trout river that I’d read about which is quite a bit closer to Canberra and quite easily accessible, the Cotter River. West of Canberra and above the Cotter Dam, it is designated as trout waters so restricted to artificial fly and lure only.

Being only about 40 minutes from my door in Canberra city (excluding all of the side-tracks that I took yesterday in exploring the area), I had no illusions of having the place all to myself.

However I confess that I made a bit of a later start than would have been fashionable after hearing about a restaurant that serves a decent black pudding for breakfast and, as anyone who appreciates a good black pudding might attest, such information warrants proper investigation (and it was indeed worth investigating - I’m a somewhat happier chap knowing that I can look forward to that each weekend that I’m here ).

As well as exploring the Cotter, yesterday was also about firing up my old Sony action cam' to examine my casting, and about testing out my new Garmen inReach explorer GPS/PLB and seeing how the tracker works for Kate to follow me back in Queensland whenever I am out bush down here.

The screen shot of the tracker below shows my days ramblings since I engaged it after breakfast in Canberra. Canberra's most eastern suburbs can be seen at the edge of the screen shot, giving an idea of how close my destination is to town.

[IMG]Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 17.53.04 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

The little detour to the right, on my way out of town, was to Mt Stromlo Observatory. The pic below is the view west towards where I was heading for the day, with the Cotter Dam wall visible middle right:

[IMG]IMG_0355 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and up close as I passed under it. Although there were tracks on the eastern side of the river that lead down to the river (which can be seen in my tracking as I explored them on the way home later in the day) they were gated quite a long way from where I was aiming so my route took me right around the back of the dam. However the longer drive meant a shorter walk to the river and was the recommended entry point in the reports that I’d read.

[IMG]IMG_0359 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Once off the bitumen the tracks down to the river were in surprisingly good shape, partially through pine plantations and otherwise through general scrub, pleasant enough but not as inspiring to my eye as the Snowy Mountains highlands:

[IMG]IMG_0360 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

In the map below, Condor Creek is the lower limit of the designated trout waters and fishing below that to the dam is prohibited - my target was Vanity’s Crossing with the intention of working my way up the river from there.

[IMG]IMG_0361 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

This is great, Yo! Love it.

Peace,
    Robert

This is the closest that I could get with the vehicle as all of these tracks seem to be gated some way from the river to protect the water supply to the dam, being one of the main catchment areas for Canberra’s drinking water.

[IMG]IMG_0394 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and this is Vanity's Crossing - and surprisingly, not another soul in sight - I wonder if my late start had me miss a morning rush or something? I didn’t think to look at the time but with breakfast and detours on the way out it wouldn’t have been any earlier than about 1030 and the temp was already up around 27degC (80-81F).

And although I couldn’t really tell from where I parked the car, it ended up being only a few hundred yards walk down the hill from the gate.......fortunately

[IMG]IMG_0362 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

You can see a fish ladder on the other side of the river

[IMG]IMG_0365 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

As much as I absolutely love standing in the middle of a flowing stream, I had been expecting a longer walk down to the river and a hot day with a good bit of walking similar to last weekend so wasn’t keen on wearing waders, despite the "snaky"ness of the scrub, the time of year and quite a few reports of plenty of Joe Blakes in the area......

However the sides of the river were really quite overgrown and didn’t look all that easily accessible (and indeed very snakes), so I figured these:

[IMG]IMG_0366 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

were better replaced with these

[IMG]IMG_0384 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]:

requiring a return trip to the vehicle ................so I was very glad that I’d driven the long way around the dam to have that shorter walk (I later found that the walk from the other side would have been very much longer and somewhat steeper).
    Last edited by Larks; 11-27-2017 at 12:33 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Upstream of the causeway - a very pretty and peaceful spot and, apart from one guy on a mountain bike, I didn’t see another soul all day

[IMG]IMG_0373 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

A massive meat ant colony on the near side of the causeway sent me over to the other side to dump my lunch and jacket where the ants (and Joe Blakes) can’t get into them

[IMG]IMG_0371 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and to sit down to enjoy the spot, contemplate what to do, tie on a new tippet and decide what fly to start with ....... over a cup of tea of course

[IMG]IMG_0381 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Other than the ants and a few bush flies there wasn’t a great deal of visible (to me) terrestrial activity, a few small mothy looking things landing on the water here and there, some mosquitoes and a dragon fly but I really couldn’t pick up what the fish were rising for.

Actually they weren’t so much as rising as they were jumping........but what for I had no insight and there wasn’t anything prolific enough to be obvious, but jump they did.

I could see one or two reasonably sized fish jump from time to time up in the bend of the river, but closer to me they seemed to be smaller, more around the 6” size (I did get one on video just to my right and it really was a tiddler).

So I figured my best option was going to be a “stimulator" to start with, enjoy the water and the spot and simply focus on my casting with the video recording me to try and see what I was doing right and wrong (I know I go too far on my back cast by the amount of times I flick the water behind me and get caught in the scrub ):

[IMG]IMG_0376 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

If this blokes enthusiasm for it was anything to go by I should be on a winner:

[IMG]IMG_0379 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Last edited by Larks; 11-27-2017 at 12:41 AM.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Upstream of the causeway - a very pretty and peaceful spot and, apart from one guy on a mountain bike, I didn’t see another soul all day

[IMG]IMG_0373 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

A massive bull ant colony on the near side of the causeway sent me over to the other side to dump my lunch and jacket where the ants (and Joe Blakes) can’t get into them

[IMG]IMG_0371 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and to sit down to enjoy the spot, contemplate what to do, tie on a new tippet and decide what fly to start with ....... over a cup of tea of course

[IMG]IMG_0381 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

Other than the ants and a few bush flies there wasn’t a great deal of visible (to me) terrestrial activity, a few small mothy looking things landing on the water here and there, some mosquitoes and a dragon fly but I really couldn’t pick up what the fish were rising for.

Actually they weren’t so much as rising as they were jumping........but what for I had no insight and there wasn’t anything prolific enough to be obvious, but jump they did.

I could see one or two reasonably sized fish jump from time to time up in the bend of the river, but closer to me they seemed to be smaller, more around the 6” size (I did get one on video just to my right and it really was a tiddler).

So I figured my best option was going to be a “stimulator" to start with, enjoy the water and the spot and simply focus on my casting with the video recording me to try and see what I was doing right and wrong (I know I go too far on my back cast by the amount of times I flick the water behind me and get caught in the scrub ):

If this blokes enthusiasm for it was anything to go by I should be on a winner:

[IMG]IMG_0379 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Meat ant.
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Meat ant.

thanks Gary - fixed
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

That's a great shot of the ant..

Keep it coming.
    Someday, I'm going to settle down and be a grumpy old man.

Nice Wheatley box! My Dad had one from the 20's -- I gave it to my oldest Son last year on the occasion of his 30th birthday, still loaded with Pop's hand-tied flies. A nice bridge accross the generations for my fishing-mad Boy, who was born some 24 years after his Grandad passed. Those boxes haven't changed much in nearly 100 years -- amazing!

Tom

When you say snakey, do you mean wild and woolly, twisty turny or good chance of being bitten and die a horrible death?.
    Great thread by the way.

I just looked up Joe Blakes, you be careful out there.

Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    When you say snakey, do you mean wild and woolly, twisty turny or good chance of being bitten and die a horrible death?.
    Great thread by the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by L.A Marche View Post
    I just looked up Joe Blakes, you be careful out there.

You have it - Tiger snakes, eastern brown’s, copperheads, death adders, red bellied black’s......
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Nice Wheatley box! My Dad had one from the 20's -- I gave it to my oldest Son last year on the occasion of his 30th birthday, still loaded with Pop's hand-tied flies. A nice bridge accross the generations for my fishing-mad Boy, who was born some 24 years after his Grandad passed. Those boxes haven't changed much in nearly 100 years -- amazing!

Tom
    It’s my favourite Tom. I have a couple of other newer ones that have been given to me over the years, o-ring sealed water proof ones and so on, but find that I keep going back to this one. I can’t see the need for a waterproof fly box which doesn’t hold anywhere near as much as this one does.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks for thread Greg ! Great photos , makes me want to go there.
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    Thanks for thread Greg ! Great photos , makes me want to go there.
    It’d be worth the trip Peter, I’ve only just brushed the tip of the iceberg so far - and it’d be perfect on your B’mer, there’s a huge bike community around here and I’m always passing groups out for what looks like a marvellous days ride.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

It probably goes without saying that once again I didn’t catch anything but I did warn up front that, as a fisherman, I make a great tourist.

However I did have a spectacularly relaxing day in a wonderful spot within easy reach of my temporary home and I must confess that I didn’t end up covering much ground at all (as the closer screen shot from my tracker shows) it was so nice where i was.

So just a few more pic’s:

The tracker pings every 10 minutes so my path wasn’t as straight as it may seem

[IMG]Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 17.48.11 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

There were a few decent sized roo’s in the area

[IMG]IMG_0370 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0385 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

I’m not sure if fly fishing in the rain is meant to be of any benefit to catching fish or not, but it was very pleasant

[IMG]IMG_0386 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_0390 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]

and did I say it was a warm day?? This wasn’t the result of leaking waders

[IMG]IMG_0393 by Greg Larkin, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

And when I googled what trout might leap for, or why, I got all sorts of answers such as shedding lice and just because they can - for fun, but also found this gem that seems worth sharing:

Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

I’m not sure if fly fishing in the rain is meant to be of any benefit to catching fish or not, but it was very pleasant
    Hi Greg

Rain, in my experience, is a double-edged sword. To the degree that it covers our noise and sloppy presentation, it also makes a dry fly harder to find.And it makes fish harder to spot.

I'd be tying on a muddler or a streamer and hope the fish are looking for something that got washed into the stream by the rain. And that's the crux of it; trying stuff until you catch a fish and the dots suddenly all connect.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Thanks Kevin, that makes sense - much appreciated.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

This really is a very nice photo essay!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

It probably goes without saying that once again I didn’t catch anything but I did warn up front that, as a fisherman, I make a great tourist.

However I did have a spectacularly relaxing day in a wonderful spot within easy reach of my temporary home
    What a great way to spend some time, the more you do it the more in the zone you become each time you go there.

Being a Kiwi, (no snakes here) I would find it hard to relax if I knew I was in their space.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I'm still waiting to get this trophy back from the taxidermist.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Enjoying this thread immensely, with all those meat ants I would have tried an ant fly super easy to tie if you do that, I tend to use wulffs and stimulators in quicker water or on seldom fished areas or even when raining as the fish can see them, it none of the top water stuff works on to woolybuggers, mudders, and other streamers, next up would be nymphs but I'm not great a nymphing, I don't know if it is permitted there but here I'll often search with a dry caddis or depending on season a hopper and a nymph on a dropper, oh and back to the ants feel free to let them slowly sink. Again thanks for the thread ponds are icing up here now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Smith porter maine View Post
    Enjoying this thread immensely, with all those meat ants I would have tried an ant fly super easy to tie if you do that, I tend to use wulffs and stimulators in quicker water or on seldom fished areas or even when raining as the fish can see them, it none of the top water stuff works on to woolybuggers, mudders, and other streamers, next up would be nymphs but I'm not great a nymphing, I don't know if it is permitted there but here I'll often search with a dry caddis or depending on season a hopper and a nymph on a dropper, oh and back to the ants feel free to let them slowly sink. Again thanks for the thread ponds are icing up here now.
    Oh and let me add I live just about as far away from you as possible on this planet, so value the advice about as much as you paid for it.

That tracker is an amazing bit of gear Greg !

'' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

Quote Originally Posted by brucemoffatt View Post
    Is that a traction engine?
    If it were put there to pull tourists in to look at it, it would be "attraction" engine.

John Welsford
    An expert is but a beginner with experience.

And when I googled what trout might leap for, or why, I got all sorts of answers such as shedding lice and just because they can - for fun, but also found this gem that seems worth sharing:
    Greg, I fished Newlands reservoir (near Ballarat) this morning. The small browns were zipping around taking red spinners in the air and ignoring anything on the surface. They refused all my spinner and ant patterns, swimming under them with complete disdain. Once the fish get to about 200mm they seem a little more careful about burning up energy and will wait until the spinners are on the water or better still, take the surface bound duns.

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by HS View Post
    Greg, I fished Newlands reservoir (near Ballarat) this morning. The small browns were zipping around taking red spinners in the air and ignoring anything on the surface. They refused all my spinner and ant patterns, swimming under them with complete disdain. Once the fish get to about 200mm they seem a little more careful about burning up energy and will wait until the spinners are on the water or better still, take the surface bound duns.

Hans
    Thanks Hans, that’s really interesting to hear about them jumping like that. Did you catch anything at all?
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by PeterSibley View Post
    That tracker is an amazing bit of gear Greg !
    It is indeed Peter and Kate is very pleased that I have it. As a GPS the screen is quite small, as was commented on in one of the reviews, but for anyone in need of a GPS for hiking it is perfectly adequate along with a topographic map. I have a handful of "Topographic and Orthophoto” maps for the areas that I plan to hike and fish in and, although I’d be just as comfortable finding my way without it, this unit and the maps make a very good combination.

I am however sending it back to Garmin for replacement, the battery appears to be faulty and the on/off switch doesn’t work. It is supposed to last up to something like 30 days when on, with less duration depending on the use at the time - i.e. texting will use power etc. However when I ran it up at home it looked like it had a max' standby time of 12 hours doing nothing at all. Funnily enough it went up to about about double that when I was out bush so it must use more power hunting for satellites inside the apartment than it does once it has acquired them. Although the on/off switch is buggered it turns on when hooked up to the computer to configure it so I was still able to turn it on.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    I'm still waiting to get this trophy back from the taxidermist.

If that’s stream caught you’re still ahead of me regardless Skip.
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Quote Originally Posted by Stiletto View Post
    What a great way to spend some time, the more you do it the more in the zone you become each time you go there.

Being a Kiwi, (no snakes here) I would find it hard to relax if I knew I was in their space.
    No problems relaxing Grant - just go noisy on the bank, quiet in the water. The snakes will usually get out of the way if you don’t sneak up on them -
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Oh and let me add I live just about as far away from you as possible on this planet, so value the advice about as much as you paid for it.
    Thanks Chris, it’s advice worth trying regardless of cost
    Larks

LPBC Beneficiary

Thanks Hans, that’s really interesting to hear about them jumping like that. Did you catch anything at all?
    Yes, four tiny redfin on a hare and copper nymph! The zero result didn't bother me (much), I'm fortunate to have got my trout fix last week fishing the Tassie highland lakes with my BIL!

Errata...that was Newlyn not Newlands reservoir