Thread: Wm. Hand “Cyclone”

Default Wm. Hand “Cyclone”

I recently downloaded the Motorboating article on the Hand “Cyclone” aux sloop from WoodenBoat store. I’ve been looking around online but have been unable to find any builds of this design. I’ve also not been able to find any full construction plans for this boat.

I think the latter may may not exist, as this was a design published for the exclusive use of the magazine subscribers. And I guess thinking about it, maybe no builds exists because a) there were no plans, b) As Hand himself says, then project is probably beyond the capabilities and capacities of the usual amateur garage builder, and c) the audience of the magazine was less interested in sailboats than in power craft.

So...anybody know of any real “Cyclones” out there, past or present? Your thoughts on the design? I’m very intrigued by her. She seems like she’d be a very comfy mid-range cruiser and I think her lines are very attractive.

I’m currently lofting a 1:20 scale model of the hull to see what she really looks likens my imagination from lines drawings only takes me so far...

A0C0EBAA-6C8D-48B4-9CC5-5814B715DD83.jpg

Default Re: Wm. Hand “Cyclone”

I rather like her shape, just looking at her profile. I can't put my finger on the specifics, but I can see her relation to Bowdoin. I'd be interested in looking at her lines to see how she fills out.

Do you have an underwater profile to match that drawing? To my eye it looks as though her rig / CE would be quite far aft, but that all depends on her CLP. My eye is tuned to a Friendship sloop-esque hull form, so my opinion is suspect in these matters.

Alex

Here are the lines drawings. The article refers to her as a 36' Auxiliary Sloop. She's actually 38-6-4 LOA. 30' on the LWL. Again, my eye is not as practiced as many of yours, but I quite like her shape. If I were to quibble, I'd say the sheer is just a tad high at the bow and through the first two sections.

I'm so tempted by her. Tempted to what, I don't know. But I keep going back to the drawings. As I said I will build a 1:20 scale model of the hull this holiday season...see if it's lust or love. And my mind is racing here, but even in the far reaches of Wisconsin, there are some excellent builders...Maybe Peter Little...or old Red Nimphius' shop might be interested in a new project...?

Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 8.34.47 AM.jpg

I assume WB knows what they're doing, but the motorboating plans are usually pretty comprehensive with construction drawings, offsets and descriptors... I've browsed over a lot the plans published there (including a few hand designs) and they are usually pretty comprehensive. Sometimes they get spread out over two issues..

Do do you know the year/issue the plans were published? you can still access old issues online

Yes, Tele...as I re-read at the article, I think just about everything one needs to build the hull are probably in the article. Hand specifies many (most? all?) of the scantlings and dimensions in his construction notes. I imagine a professional boat builder has everything s/he needs to build this hull based on the information in the article. The drawings themselves are limited to lines, an interior layout, a profile-view and top-view construction plan, and two sample sections. I suppose any capable traditional boat yard could get the job done with this. Of course, I'm just a humble amateur and am used to sheets and sheets of drawings, like Gartside and Welsford provide.

On a separate note, is anybody aware of any build ever done to these plans. If it never happened, I wonder why not?

I can't put my finger on it but something in that design makes me a bit uncomfortable. It is as if the boat is, slightly, out of harmony with her self. As I look at her I get the feeling of a Lester Stone design that is just a bit out of sync. Even though she is well V'd forward, I still, would imagine that she would have a tendency to "Hobby Horse" a bit in a head sea and pitch her bow about a lot! I should also think that her mast could be stepped just a tad further forward. She does have a sweet midship section! But the sweep of the sheer makes me ask for a more attractive line. Please forgive my not falling in love at first sight!
    Jay

I know what you mean. I find the drawings very attractive, but feel like something is slightly out of proportion. Below the water she does remind me of a Friendship.
    I think I have an old Seven Seas catalog of Hand designs, or maybe a Mystic or WB publication. I'll report anything I find.
    Please keep us up on any progress.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Please build her !

The first reference I found is a 1986 WB publication with some drawings and text, and lists of designs. It does not show any builders for Cyclone. I notice that the profile is common on Hand designs.

OK...Check this out...totally coincidental. I was surfing the Yachtworld site and saw an aluminum Malabar II up in Canada. Got me thinking more about the Malabar designs. I happen to have one of Kathy Bray's prints of Malabar II hanging in a room at home. I've stared at it a few times. Got me thinking about "Cyclone". I says to myself, "geez...except for the schooner vs gaff sloop rig, I'd say that's the same hull". So I pull out my lines drawings and do a bit of comparison...

Here's what I came up with...I mean...not an exact copy...but geez...pretty similar. Which boat is which?

Top is Cyclone. Bottom is Malabar II. To my eye, Malabar has slightly slacker bilges and an identical sheer. Given a hull shape that is so similar, does the schooner rig give Malabar a sailing advantage? Sorry if the question is so elementary...I'm not a NA....

cyclone vs malabar II.jpg

The Motor Boating article is online here: https://books.google.com/books?id=Ly...yclone&f=false . It's dated June 1920, while Malabar I was designed in 1921 and Malabar II in 1922. Alden had designed similar boats before then, so it's not clear who influenced whom.

You have it backwards about the slackness of the bilges (slackness being defined as relatively long radius of sectional curvature). Malabar II has firm bilges, less deadrise, and more exposed keel and external ballast than Cyclone, while the latter's steeper deadrise suggests more internal ballast. In general, and for a given sail area, the sloop rig is considered faster and more weatherly than the schooner, but with a stiffer hull for a given displacement, Malabar II might offset that.
    Peter Belenky

Quote Originally Posted by Jpflorance View Post
    ...Got me thinking more about the Malabar designs. I happen to have one of Kathy Bray's prints of Malabar II hanging in a room at home. I've stared at it a few times. Got me thinking about "Cyclone". I says to myself, "geez...except for the schooner vs gaff sloop rig, I'd say that's the same hull". So I pull out my lines drawings and do a bit of comparison...

cyclone vs malabar II.jpg
    Thanks for that comparison. I think I still have a copy of the "Cyclone" article somewhere and I have the Henderson & Carrick book on Alden's designs. I always thought the bow was a bit proud on "Cyclone," but that comparison in conjunction with Roger Long's post a while back goes a long way in dispelling that perception. Also, I don't know a lot of Hand's work, but I haven't seen an unpleasant one in the bunch. "Fundulus/Alisande/Patience B" adapted by Joel White also looks to have too much rise at the bow, but looks fine in three dimensions. You have to love the curviness of the lines of "Cyclone."

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Belenky View Post
    ... In general, and for a given sail area, the sloop rig is considered faster and more weatherly than the schooner, but with a stiffer hull for a given displacement, Malabar II might offset that.
    I'll add the point of sail matters some here and I think the shallower buttock lines on the "Malabar II" and slightly longer waterline length will also come into play. At a minimum, off the wind my money is on the Alden.
    Last edited by Wiley Baggins; 11-27-2017 at 12:06 AM.