Banned
    • Feb 2002

Architecture - former Brutalist eyesore is now a swank office space

To :

• Figment
    Gluten Enthusiast
    • Dec 2001

Re: Architecture - former Brutalist eyesore is now a swank office space

I'm not entirely convinced that it's an aesthetic improvement to the neighborhood (they really could have done SOMETHING other than glass at the corners), but the curtainwall guys did an excellent job of selling it to the landlord!
    People today will buy a car with square wheels as long as the steering wheel is heated.

Comment

• Joe (SoCal)
      Banned
      • Feb 2002

I know that building and it was supremely ugly before. Way more functional and in keeping with the Hi-Line Renaissance in the hood.

Comment

• Keith Wilson
        Trying to be reasonable
        • Oct 1999

Well, it no longer looks like the world's largest bunker; that has to be an improvement .
        "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
        for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Comment

• SKIP KILPATRICK
          • Jan 2013

I think it's much better. The old one looked like a WWII Berlin air-raid blockhouse.

Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
          ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Comment

• SKIP KILPATRICK
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by mmd
            I will reserve judgement until our Oz architecture expert comes along and tells me what my opinion should be...

Too soon!
            Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Comment

• Canoez
              Did I say that out loud?
              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Joe (SoCal)

Dang. They screwed up the set for the next installment of Blade Runner.
              "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
              -William A. Ward

Comment

• Rum_Pirate
                Banned
                • Apr 2007

This treatment would look better

Comment

• Nicholas Scheuer
                  • Aug 2006

First association upon seeing #9 was Jack and the beanstalk. A home for 10,000 birds, fer'sure.

Comment

• AlanMc
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by mmd
                    I will reserve judgement until our Oz architecture expert comes along and tells me what my opinion should be...

HAHAHA... me too.

Comment

• Phil Y
                      Banned
                      • Apr 2010

I think it looks better. But I don't for a moment believe that birds aren't going to crap all over the upward facing glass.

Comment

• TomF
                        Recalcitrant Heretic
                        • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Phil Y
                        I think it looks better. But I don't for a moment believe that birds aren't going to crap all over the upward facing glass.
                        My thoughts too.
                        If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Comment

• SKIP KILPATRICK
                          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Phil Y
                          But they can't perch and crap! They just are going to have to do bombing runs.

The building I work in has ledges that birds can stand on. It is the only tall building for miles around. The turkey buzzards use the building as a perch and then ride the termal currents coming off the parking lot.

It really wakes you up when one of those big S.O.B.s miss judges his soaring circle and slams into the glass next to your desk.
                          Skip

Comment

• Nanoose
                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Keith Wilson
                            Well, it no longer looks like the world's largest bunker; that has to be an improvement .
                            "And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." Nietzsche

Comment

• David G
                              • Dec 2003

Barring radical surgery/teardown... I think they made a nice adjustment.
                              David G
                              Harbor Woodworks
                              https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Comment

Working...