Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23413 ... LastLast

Thread: Al Franken, we hardly knew yee

Default Re: Al Franken, we hardly knew yee

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bow View Post
    Does the fact that she's good buddies with Hannity have anything to do with her timing?
    Of course it does. She's a Republican and has worked for Fox news. She's also made a living as a model and made appearances in Playboy magazine - work which tends to make louts and dunces think she should oblige their every fantasy. But that doesn't make any difference - it's hands off until she gives a clear "yes." If we make rules we have to follow them. Franken needs to pack his cigar box and get the hell out of the Senate.

Trump needs to get the hell out of the White House too.
    Last edited by Dave Wright; 12-05-2017 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    Of course it does. She's a Republican and has worked for Fox news. She's also made a living as a model and made appearances in Playboy magazine - work which tends to make louts and dunces think she should oblige their every fantasy. But that doesn't make any difference - it's hands off until she gives a clear "yes." If we make rules we have to follow them. Franken needs to pack his cigar box and get the hell out of the Senate.

Trump needs to get the hell out of the White House for the same reason. Of course that will never happen, so I'm hoping for a lightning strike on the golf course, or similar resolution.

hoping for a sitting president to die is a little extreme don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    hoping for a sitting president to die is a little extreme don't you think?
    Not at all. Someone has to have principles and the conviction to state them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    Franklin is screwed and he destroyed what credibility he could for supposed good guy politicians. I am so disappointed in this news.

I don't know about you men - I never kissed a women that didn't want me to kiss her nor have I ever touch a woman without implied permission. There is no excuse for Franklin. His sexual humor is a blind for an underlining motive. No body should be laughing at predatory sexual behavior is which can not it be justified. As a mature man, Franklin brings shame to good men who he hides among. I am done with Al or his moral/ethical positions.

Where did all the gentlemen go?
    No, no, Ted... FranKLIN's name was Benjamin and he belonged to a club in London that explored debauchery to a level far worse than the Pu$$y grabber or Moore could imagine.

Al's name is FranKEN.
    Hands too small: Can't build his Wall!

Frayed Knot Arts: Fancywork and Rope Jewelry
    http://www.frayedknotarts.com.html[

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Donnie Two-Scoops blows that statement out of the water!
    Good point!
    However this administration could be so repugnant that they could make the general population say ENOUGH. Then... that's when evangelicals double down, Passing a morals test,written by who knows who, selecting who knows what?

What has been done is wide spread, perhaps we will survive ( the Russians bet NO!) that's why we are in peril, we don't trust our own citizens, our own security organizations,
    our own government.

We had better get this train back on track ......
    PaulF

Trump wants Alabama voters to decide Moore's fate. I say let Minnesota do the same for Franken, instead of throwing him out like the mush-mouthed weasel Majority Leader wants to do.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I think maybe Franken's rehabilitation depends on resigning for this reason, and running for office again in the ensuing Special Election.

If he's returned to office by Minnesotans, the issue's done, and he's spilled enough of his own blood.
    By that logic, Trump's ------------- grabbing has been purified through his election, because people knew about it and voted for him anyway. Josh Marshall has made a similar argument against expulsion of Moore if he's elected to the senate.

It looks to me like part of a pattern we've seen too much of, where women come forward and it makes no difference, the molester gets the big job.

I think first, we have an investigation. If there's a pattern there, Franken is certainly out. If he's the sort of slime this accusation makes him look like, we'll see women coming out of the woodwork just as they did with Trump and Weinstien and Moore and Louis C.K. He says his memory of the alleged forced kiss doesn't match his accuser's memory, but he would say that, wouldn't he? Stay tuned. If he's scum, we'll have plenty of confirmation in the next couple weeks.

Now, this is interesting. His accuser says Franken should not step down:

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...eak-up-at-time
    Tweeden was also asked if Franken should resign from the Senate.
    “People make mistakes,” she replied. “I’m not calling for him to step down.”
    The problem with that is, what if this is a pattern with the guy?

Throw ‘em all out. Then replace them with people like Pence who won’t sit at a dinner table with a woman he isn’t married to.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Throw ‘em all out. Then replace them with people like Pence who won’t sit at a dinner table with a woman he isn’t married to.
    OMG...what if it that time of the Mo.....I can't say it.
    PaulF

[QUOTE=SKIP KILPATRICK;5397819]
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    That will be a useful discussion, but first, Franken needs to go.

QUOTE]

To follow this logic to it's conclusion then, Clarence Thomas needs to step down from the SCOTUS too.
    Did Clarence Thomas admit to wrong doing?

Pence is a smart guy... looking smarter every day.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Now, this is interesting. His accuser says Franken should not step down:

The problem with that is, what if this is a pattern with the guy?
    It isn't up to her at this point. The credibility of Democrats on sexual abuse and harassment is at stake, especially in the wake of the feminist umbrella that sheltered Bill Clinton. Either this stuff is disqualifying or it isn't.

Right or wrong, Franken's victim doesn't get to make that call.

Now, this is interesting. His accuser says Franken should not step down . . . The problem with that is, what if this is a pattern with the guy?
    If there is, it will be clear soon.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    It isn't up to her at this point. The credibility of Democrats on sexual abuse and harassment is at stake, especially in the wake of the feminist umbrella that sheltered Bill Clinton. Either this stuff is disqualifying or it isn't.

But but but....the republicans are christian family lovers, clean of soul and hart!

This twisted game will define us, both parties, all of us. We will get exactly what we deserve.
    PaulF

These are people, not pawns. The issue isn't some political party's credibility, it's the behavior of human beings to each other.

These are people, not pawns. The issue isn't some political party's credibility, it's the behavior of human beings to each other.
    Don't be naive.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a...mediately.html

Our Comrades in Russia have dealt a hard hand, It may take us down slowly by our own stupidity.
    PaulF

The political benefit to Democrats of showing Franken the door might well be the key that unlocks 2020.

Ka-blooie and like-minded komrades are desperate to get Franken out of Washington. He’s been obliterating the Rips moreso than anyone else. He stays.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Ka-blooie and like-minded komrades are desperate to get Franken out of Washington. He’s been obliterating the Rips moreso than anyone else. He stays.
    An intelligent voice asking pointed questions? Ya think??
    PaulF

more of the Slate article, interesting viewpoints...

Franken, it seems, won’t go quietly. His first response to Tweeden’s article is a case study in pseudo-apologetic denial, an effort to gaslight Tweeden while purporting to express regret. “I certainly don’t remember the rehearsal for the skit in the same way,” Franken said, “but I send my sincerest apologies to Leeann. As to the photo, it was clearly intended to be funny but wasn’t. I shouldn’t have done it.” He deserves no credit for this hollow contrition. Franken “doesn’t remember” the harassment “in the same way”? His actions were “intended to be funny”? Touching a woman’s breasts without her consent is not a joke. It is a crime. Franken is not really admitting guilt or apologizing to Tweeden. He is laying the groundwork for his own defense.

The hypocrisy of Franken’s reaction is galling. Following the Harvey Weinstein scandal, the senator wrote an impassioned Facebook post declaring that sexual harassment is “appalling” and “far too common.” He added that it “takes a lot of courage to come forward, and we owe them our thanks.” Franken then praised Gretchen Carlson for writing about “the disappointing responses women often face when they go public both embolden harassers and encourage victims to stay silent.”

Now Franken has issued the exactkind of “disappointing response” that Carlson bemoaned, attempting to dismiss the accusation against him as a botched joke that his victim misremembered. Is anyone surprised? Yet another self-proclaimed defender of women’s rights has revealed himself to be a misogynistic fraud. Franken’s ardent promotion of gender equality on the Senate floor is rendered meaningless in the face of his disgusting conduct.

I am confounded by some replies on this thread, suggesting that holding Franken accountable would be enforcing an impossibly high standard of behavior.

If Franken forced his tongue into a woman's mouth, I don't think he should be a Senator. Political calculations be damned.

Fallible though we all are, there are plenty available who's failings and foibles are more forgiveable than sexual assault. I wouldn't want all my weaknesses exposed, but, that's hardly what has happened in Franken's case.

No, no... that’s not it... try again.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

This is only the beginning. There will be more allegations against more prominent figures. For Democrats, no more cover can really be given. Politicians in Minnesota are calling for his resignation.

Potential candidates like Biden, Newsom, and others are probably done in this climate. If the Democrats cleaned house, and meant it, they could run a woman (at this point they probably have to) with a ready-made issue with which to bludgeon Trump, with the party having restored its credibility on the issue with the housecleaning.

Can anyone tell me why we’re not calling for Trump’s resignation as loudly as for Franken’s?

Let us also remember that in 2016, Trump won a majority of white women voters, despite all the marches, pink hats, and "War on Women" narratives and memes.

If the Democrats run a woman with moral credibility on the issue (unlike last time around), I think that voting pattern will flip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post

This also would ensure that Democrats would not make the mistake of thinking that a goddamn SNL comedian could actually win the presidency (I know, we have a goddamn pussy grabbing comedian in that office now, no reason to put another one in there after him).

Franken's not remotely "another one." There's enormous distance between Franken and Trump.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Let us also remember that in 2016, Trump won a majority of white women voters, despite all the marches, pink hats, and "War on Women" narratives and memes.
    So does that mean what he did and said is okay?
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge” - Charles Darwin (1809–1882)

Nutshell Pram Build pictures ; https://photos.app.goo.gl/1GdBcckcgBAWsbVg1

Can anyone tell me why we’re not calling for Trump’s resignation as loudly as for Franken’s?
    Prezactly. Here's a laugh. What's the word? Pathetic? "GOP waiting for Trump to decide what to do about Moore." You have to repeat that a bunch of times just to believe it.

GOP waiting for Trump to decide what to do about Ray Moore.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Franken's not remotely "another one." There's enormous distance between Franken and Trump.
    sexual assault? Assault is assault. period.

there is no difference between Trumpy and Franken... if what the women said about Trumpy was true.

I have not heard Sky call for Franken's resignation...

Quote Originally Posted by J.Madison View Post
    Franken needs to step down.

And so does the president for that matter.
    This is a reasonable compromise.

We'll still be left with all those unidentified grabbers the congressional ladies are reluctant to name because they have to work together in Congress.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    The difference is that the voting public, including the aforementioned white woman voter majority, vetted Trump on the issue by electing him with knowledge of the allegations made against him. Critically, neither did Trump in any way campaign or otherwise hold himself out as a moral leader. Quite to the contrary, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Noyes View Post
    I have not heard Sky call for Franken's resignation...
    Gee. Is that what I said?