Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6151617 LastLast

Thread: Al Franken, we hardly knew yee

Default Re: Al Franken, we hardly knew yee

Conyers is a civil rights "icon" and a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Franken is a former comedian with a penchant for off-color jokes and groping women.

And it is Conyers, and not Franken, that must resign?

afloat with at least 6' of water under me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky Blue View Post
    Conyers is a civil rights "icon" and a founding member of the Congressional Black Caucus.

Franken is a former comedian with a penchant for off-color jokes and groping women.

And Trump is a reality TV joke, right up there with Kim Kardashian.What's your point?

Sorry about the links.

The stories originate on CNN and Jezebel, respectively, but are repeated at this point on the major aggregators and easy enough to find.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Sorry about the links.

The stories originate on CNN and Jezebel, respectively, but are repeated at this point on the major aggregators and easy enough to find.
    NP. The details in these stories, whoever the groper, are kinda predictable by now.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I don't think that's really the point.

Conyers seems to have a much more extensive history of this, although that may change, and some of his accused behavior is far worse.

Conyers seems to have a history of this behavior with subordinates which, at least in my mind, is far worse than doing it to strangers who can slap Franken in the face and not lose their job for it.

However, if Franken keeps racking up the accusations and there is any merit to them, he will be gone.

All along I felt it was necessary for Franken to resign, and for very good reasons which I clearly expressed. Then I listened to his Monday press conference, decided that he expressed sufficient remorse and humility (even though he was still not really "owning up"), and figured I'd give him another chance. I figured that maybe he was just a smarmy sneak once in a while, and maybe, against my better judgement, I could live with that.

Now I know that he's a serial smarmy sneak.

I sure as hell wouldn't invite a serial smarmy sneak to my house for dinner, and I sure hell don't need to support him as a Senator.

17 of Franken's Democratic peers in the Senate have suggested he resign.

Stick a fork in him.

Yep, he has scheduled an announcement for tomorrow. I doubt it is because he wants to restate is announcement of a couple of Sundays ago. I suspect he resigns, and that is what is being reported.

Quote Originally Posted by peb View Post
    Yep, he has scheduled an announcement for tomorrow. I doubt it is because he wants to restate is announcement of a couple of Sundays ago. I suspect he resigns, and that is what is being reported.
    Tend to agree with that assessment.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It will be interesting to see how the Republicans react, because Franken will go before Moore faces the election.

It will also be an interesting test case to see if public rehabilitation is possible, and Franken finds that Minnesotans will both nominate and elect him in a special election.

Part of the Franken resignation is intended to ease feelings of a racial double standard in how the Democrats approach this stuff. Probably necessary on that score as well as the sexual harassment issue itself.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Doh!

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...81044?lo=ap_b1

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    17 of Franken's Democratic peers in the Senate have suggested he resign.

Stick a fork in him.

They will just appoint snother democrat, the libs lose nothing.

Well, Der Gropenfuhrer should be next on the hit list if Franken and Conyers are leaving.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

He won't; hypocrisy is never having to say you're sorry, or resign.

That last 'complaint' against Franken - one he denies, btw - looks an awful lot like a hit piece, to me. Her claims seem off-kilter, atypical for this guy. But the Republicans smell blood, want to be rid of him, and I suspect are behind this.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

It's Karma for Franken. His first election was tainted by fraud. He wrote a book about so-called liars and the lies they tell. Now he's doing the denials and remembering things "differently."

It is interesting that Franken's wife has not publicly stood by him through all this. Maybe that changes tomorrow.

I think that Franken made himself into a target - both by doing stupid stuff with women, and also by being an effective critic.

Had he only been a lower-order sexual harasser but an inept Senator, he'd still probably have a viable job following the Ted Kennedy trajectory. He may yet, if Minnesotans re-elect him.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I don't think that's really the point.

Conyers seems to have a much more extensive history of this, although that may change, and some of his accused behavior is far worse.

Conyers seems to have a history of this behavior with subordinates which, at least in my mind, is far worse than doing it to strangers who can slap Franken in the face and not lose their job for it.

However, if Franken keeps racking up the accusations and there is any merit to them, he will be gone.
    Conyers has been surrounded by dubious characters for a long time, not the least of them his wife, and somehow has avoided been linked to them directly. I would submit that the recent accusations, which include having at least four women satisfying his desires, seem improbable at best. He is 88 years old, not too functional, and in all likelihood this was his last term anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    He won't; hypocrisy is never having to say you're sorry, or resign.

That last 'complaint' against Franken - one he denies, btw - looks an awful lot like a hit piece, to me. Her claims seem off-kilter, atypical for this guy. But the Republicans smell blood, want to be rid of him, and I suspect are behind this.

Its democrats calling for his head now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan McCosh View Post
    Conyers has been surrounded by dubious characters for a long time, not the least of them his wife, and somehow has avoided been linked to them directly. I would submit that the recent accusations, which include having at least four women satisfying his desires, seem improbable at best. He is 88 years old, not too functional, and in all likelihood this was his last term anyway.
    So I'm guessing that when he wants his son appointed and another relative wants to run against the son, your opinon is that the whole family is a problem (corrupt(?), although you did not use that word). I confess his announcement of an heir apparent rubbed me the wrong way when I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I think that Franken made himself into a target -
    yeah, being born Jewish and becoming a strong, outspoken liberal does make one a target for fascists.. He should have known better. /sarcasm

we should have known better.. better than to believe the fascist haters.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbys View Post

I have tried to point this out a couple times... Forum liberals are not hearing it.... they have some Vast Right Wing Conspiracy in mind and their brains can compute nothing else.

So. Moore's head. Trump's. Chop chop, one might say.

I have only the pink tutu in mind

Do you have a problem with this?
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

So he resigns.

When doe the by-election come up?

Who are the candidates?
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    Do you have a problem with this?

No , do you agree wit h post 540?

It depends.

If a vacancy occurs due to a senator's death, resignation, or expulsion, the Seventeenth Amendment allows state legislatures to empower the governor to appoint a replacement to complete the term or to hold office until a special election can take place.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

No , do you agree wit h post 540?
    I have a problem with Reds who are unwilling to take the same medicine Franken is having to swallow so I suppose I do. Your party's hypocrites who are dancing over Al's situation just anointed Moore, not to mention continuing to provide cover for the dirty man in the WH.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Franken isn't going anywhere.

Ahem.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
    I have a problem with Reds who are unwilling to take the same medicine Franken is having to swallow so I suppose I do. Your party's hypocrites who are dancing over Al's situation just anointed Moore, not to mention continuing to provide cover for the dirty man in the WH.

I did not catch all of als speech but i did hear he blasted trump and moore, did not say he had left, its still hanging around for his vote and waiting for the moore electon, he did not apoligize to the women, be just said he did not remember things like they did...

Al is a martyer for the dems, he will be replaced by another democrat, the dems lose nothing.

The facts seem to point out the dems will run a woman next time, they cannot have al around.

The next democrat campain will be reduced to look those guys over there.

Devoid of any monetary plans they only can run on. Accusations.

Mika Brzezinski Questions #MeToo Movement: ‘I’m Just Wondering If All Women Need to Be Believed’

On Friday's show, Brzezinski said she was troubled by the resignation of Sen. Al Franken (D - Minnesota) over allegations of sexual misconduct and -- in a departure from movement orthodoxy -- speculated that maybe we shouldn't believe all
    women who make accusations of misconduct.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mika-brzezinski-questions-supernumbermetoo-movement-‘i’m-just-wondering-if-all-women-need-to-be-believed’/ar-BBGoFZY?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

I'm fully aghast and against Frankens resignation. I looked into every credible news accounts of the accusations from both sides ( BTW that's how normal intelligent people sift through Fake News ) I'm left unconvinced and think there was a lot of swiftboating of Franken. He should have taken a small playbook out of the Republican party and stood his ground. We needed him and his voice in the senate.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Franken isn't going anywhere. His resignation will not be "accepted." After Moore is elected, Franken will "un-resign."

Franken isn't going anywhere. His resignation will not be "accepted." After Moore is elected, Franken will "un-resign."
    He should, but he won't.