Thread: R2AK new event: SEVENTY48. Puget Sound by human power

Default R2AK new event: SEVENTY48. Puget Sound by human power

Uh-oh, this just showed up in my inbox: https://www.seventy48.com/race-explained/

SEVENTY48 aka 70 miles in 48 hours.
    Rules are simple: no motors, no support, and no wind. Thatís right. HUMAN POWER ONLY. Pedal, paddle, or row. We donít care. Itís up to you.

Race Start: June 11, 2018
    Application deadline: April 15, 2018
    Gun goes off at 5:30 PM, and teams have 30 minutes to cross the start line.

Tacoma to Port Townsend
    First find Tacoma, Washington. The race starts at the head of Tacomaís Thea Foss Waterway near the Museum of Glass. Next find Port Townsend. Thatís where you hope to end. Only two checkpoints are required: A boat and a bridge. Hereís the route map.

I had given up any hope of trying the full R2AK by row boat, but this looks like way too much fun.

Default Re: R2AK new event: SEVENTY48. Puget Sound by human power

I'm listening.
    -Dave

Looks like an average of about 2 mph is needed, pretty doable by watertribe ultramarathon standards.
    Ben Fuller
    Ran Tan, Liten Kuhling, Tipsy, Tippy, Josef W., Merry Mouth, Imp, Macavity, Look Far, Flash and a quiver of other 'yaks.
    "Bound fast is boatless man."

A fast double shell or surf ski is going to win this in ~15 hours, I've no plans to try to win. But yes, rowing a steady 3 kts, using the tides, and luck on the wind should allow time to sleep the second night and finish under the limit. My best 24 hours has been 40 miles, including a rest.

It seems each team can have an unlimited number of participants . So a solo racer is highly unlikely to win .... too bad I would like to see a race composed of solo entrants .

Will be interesting to see if someone is clever enough to make a propellor or mirage type drive system that uses the leg muscles for a sleek racing machine .
    Last edited by Three Cedars; 11-16-2017 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Three Cedars View Post
    It seems each team can have an unlimited number of participants . So a solo racer is highly unlikely to win .... too bad I would like to see a race composed of solo entrants .

Will be interesting to see if someone is clever enough to make a propellor or mirage type drive system that uses the leg muscles for a sleek racing machine .
    A rowcruiser type with more crew than pedal stations, so you can rotate one out for rest. No sails are less interesting to me, race likely to become a straight up endurance sufferfest and that isn't my cup of protein powder.

A lot will depend on who works the currents and back eddies the best. You're going to be fighting at least one tide. The tide through the Port Townsend Canal (2nd check point) can really rip.
    Elect a clown expect a circus

Pedal, paddle, or row?

I'd put my money on Matt Johnson and his pedal boat. Last year, he placed second in stage 1.

Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Snotty conditions can be found between Tacoma and Port Townsend, even in June.

Jeff

I'd be more impressed at the concept if they had the racers start in Oly and make them negotiate Tacoma Narrows.

Alex

If the current is with you ... then rowing the Narrows is like walking on a people mover at the airport. Very pleasant. Against you? Then you sit and wait.

We did a sail & oar run a couple years ago from Boston Harbor to Port Townsend. Day 1 was Boston Harbor in Olympia to the Tides Tavern in Gig Harbor. Day 2 took us to the Harbor Public House in Eagle Harbor where we caught up with stromberg for a couple of beers. Day 3 was a short day, we just wandered up to a pub in Kingston and hung out with our wives. Day 4 was Kingston to Mats Mats, with a layover at the Hansville grocery store. We "refueled" our ale supplies there. The next night was spent at Sirens in Port Townsend.

I'd venture the whole run was around 100+ miles or so. I could probably tick it off on the chart to be sure, but who can be bothered with such precision and accuracy?

Ale & Snore, ftw.

In this race, I think the first mark is really interesting. It's out at Point Defiance, so that forces you to make a choice of heading up Colvos or heading back up East Passage. Colvos is pretty much always running northbound, but if there was a big north wind and Colvos was full of short/steep waves would you be better off hugging the Vashon eastern shore? It's pretty shallow along there and you could pull out along the beach in a ton of spots. Fun to think about.
    Last edited by Yeadon; 11-16-2017 at 01:44 PM.
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Looks like the ebb starts at Pt. Townsend Canal about 3:45 pm on June 13. So, if you don't make it through on an earlier cycle it's less than 2 hours to sprint 6.5 miles to the finish under the limit.

The current through the Canal tends to be on it's own schedule and has a profound effect on the bay leading to it. Point No Point can get dicey too, fast current, potentially big chop and a lot of big wakes kicked up by power boats cutting the corner. This is a voyage that will take some serious planning just to finish much less win.
    Steve

Boats, like whiskey, are all good.
    R.D Culler

Does anyone use this site for current predictions on Puget Sound, if so how accurate is it?
    http://deepzoom.com/

I have enjoyed my own long runs through Puget Sound. No need whatsoever to wait for some official race sort of thingie to go do it.

Unless that's yer thing, I guess. I must confess I just don’t really get it. Why wouldn’t you just go?

I suppose this is just another one of those perplexing mysteries I'll never really understand, like the appeal of NASCAR, Miracle Whip, or the Golf Channel.

Hello James! It's more of an excuse, much easier to tell work and family you're doing an official event instead of just escaping in a boat by yourself .

This is the perfect excuse to build the CLC Expedition Wherry. Hmm. NOT. I also think James has a point. Honestly, every year I sign up for the Singlehanded Sailing Society racing season in part because I like to race, but also because it gets me to haul my hindquarters out of my chair and get on the water. I always love it, but I need a little "push"...to quote The Joker. This would be a good example of that "push".
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

I have enjoyed my own long runs through Puget Sound. No need whatsoever to wait for some official race sort of thingie to go do it.

Unless that's yer thing, I guess. I must confess I just don’t really get it. Why wouldn’t you just go?

I suppose this is just another one of those perplexing mysteries I'll never really understand, like the appeal of NASCAR, Miracle Whip, or the Golf Channel.
    James. after the first Shipyard Raid in 2005, I asked myself why I was paying good money to sail the same waters I regularly sailed for free, and not even taking the time to properly enjoy the sights and anchorages along the way. Then in 2007 I went and signed up for another round.

In hindsight, I think I know some of my reasons for entering. There's the opportunity to meet new people with similar interests, and measure your boat and skills against theirs - speaking for myself, winning or losing wasn't a big deal as the boats were so diverse, but occasionally passing or finishing a leg before a faster boast by judging wind and current better was rewarding. (Hmm, maybe winning does count for something...) The camaraderie that developed was a major factor in going back for more, I still meet some of those folks on the water. Also an event draws people out of the woodwork, and while I enjoy sailing solo or with a friend, sometimes it's good to be part of a crowd.

I don't say I'll enter this new race myself, or even another Raid if it is revived, but I do say don't knock it until you've tried it. Cheers,

Jamie

Starting guns and finish lines? Maybe I’m just contrary. I mean, I hate having to stick strictly to a particular course or float-plan when cruising, even when it’s my own. I don't particularly follow my own schedule underway, and so I sure as hell don’t see much point in paying a lotta money to not follow someone else’s schedule on a particular day. When it's extra crowded.

Some of the top paddle boarders will finish in under a day, might get a camping spot at the top end of bainbridge and check it out if I can get the time.
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Starting guns and finish lines? Maybe I’m just contrary. I mean, I hate having to stick strictly to a particular course or float-plan when cruising, even when it’s my own. I don't particularly follow my own schedule underway, and so I sure as hell don’t see much point in paying a lotta money to not follow someone else’s schedule on a particular day. When it's extra crowded.
    Gotta say, I'm with you 100% on that one.

Alex

This event is not about cruising nor is about one's enjoyment of the environment. It's about pushing one's physical abilities and equipment in a particular way. It is not meant to be an event for all or even most. I've never had, nor do I expect to have, the personal desire to actively participate in an event such as this race. However, I fully support, endorse, and am willing to assist those who do.

Wishing following winds and currents to all.

Jeff

No problem, James. Some guys like to push themselves. Some don't, or more likely they find other ways to push, besides trying to go fast-ish on the water.

There's room for everybody. It also might be said that hardcore racers should probably just dial it back now and then and go fart around on the water once in a while. Relax... enjoy a slower pace, enjoy it for what it is. It also makes sense that dedicated cruising types probably benefit from one or two "performance-pushing" experiences a year. It forces you to keep a sharper eye on sail trim, makes you get a bit of a cardio workout if you're rowing, stuff like that.

Variety is the spice of life and all that.

That said, I don't think my shoulder and lower back, not to mention my 60-year-old cardiovascular system are up to rowing 70 miles in 48 hours. So I'll be watching this one.
    CLC Skerry = "Vingilothiel"

I wonder if portaging is allowed ;> or pedaling a kayak on a set of wheels behind a bike?

It looks like there's a somewhat narrow isthmus on the way north (beyond Poulsbo, NW of Bainbridge Island) that could cut some distance off the route. I'd do that anyway, even if not allowed, 'just for the halibut': http://www.seventy48.com/route/

Last edited by rbgarr; 11-17-2017 at 04:06 PM.
    "... and the great shroud of the sea rolled on as it rolled five thousand years ago."

Quote Originally Posted by rbgarr View Post
    I wonder if portaging is allowed ;> or pedaling a kayak on a set of wheels behind a bike?

It looks like there's a somewhat narrow isthmus on the way north (beyond Poulsbo, NW of Bainbridge Island) that could cut some distance off the route. I'd do that anyway, even if not allowed, 'just for the halibut': http://www.seventy48.com/route/

If I'm looking at where you're thinking... that portage ought to only add about a week to your time.

Jeff