Thread: This Ancient Chinese Box Says It Contains The Collected Remains of The Buddha

Default This Ancient Chinese Box Says It Contains The Collected Remains of The Buddha

This Ancient Chinese Box Says It Contains The Collected Remains of The Buddha (ARTICLE LINK)

Image: Chinese Cultural Relics

Excerpt
    1,000 years ago, a pair of monks from Mañjuśrī Temple of the Longxing Monastery in China's Jingzhou Prefecture reportedly spent two decades collecting bits of cremated bone from far and wide which they believed to be the remains of the man known as the Buddha.

And now, their collection has been found.

Whether the materials truly belong to the famous ancient philosopher is a mystery, and will probably stay that way. But in addition to the ossuary, archaeologists also found 260 statues – a discovery that's of cultural and historical significance regardless of the origins of the bones themselves.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: This Ancient Chinese Box Says It Contains The Collected Remains of The Buddha

That's a lot of ashes for one Buddha.

Default Re: This Ancient Chinese Box Says It Contains The Collected Remains of The Buddha

Yeah, well some Saints can be reassembled with parts left over...

We don't know how lucky we are....

There are probably as may ashes of the Buddha are there are relics of Catholic saints.

Jesus wisely ascended into Heaven (as did Mohammed) but there was one bit of him that was left behind of course and sure enough there were, during the Renaissance, two Holy Foreskins one of which had been broken by a monk who was testing it for elasticity.

I am sure you needed to know that.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

On a carpentry job I worked many moons ago, the client was a devout Catholic. Weird velvet paintings of the flaming heart of Jesus scattered about the house were some of the stranger iconography, but one day I was working in the basement and ran across a small vial on a shelf with a bit of stuff in it. "What's this?", I asked. "A piece of bone from saint such and so." "Oh", I said, and quickly set it back down.

I don't know Buddhism as well as I do Christianity, but I wonder if their scripture has similar admonitions against idolatry? Then again, I've never had my hands on a piece of the true cross, so who knows how I might kow tow?
    Last edited by ishmael; 11-15-2017 at 07:56 AM.
    So many questions, so little time.

In Mark Twain's Innocence Abroad, he writes that during the excursion he came across so many opportunities to purchase a souvenir bit of the True Cross, and if he had actually made such a deal each time he'd be able to build a cathedral out of all those slivers.
    Last edited by Jim Mahan; 11-15-2017 at 08:10 PM.

An irreverent mate after removing white ants from his house frame put a piece in resin and wore it round his neck. You can guess the rest. The gullible and the fearful are always with us.

Supposedly contains a tooth of the Buddha.

Blah blah blah. It's all nonsense.

When in Venice we visited a church on one of the outer islands. Under its alter lies purportedly a dragon's bone, perhaps the one that St. George supposedly slew?

I guess mythology comforts certain people. It escapes me.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.