Thread: Waterproof binoculars not waterproof

Default Waterproof binoculars not waterproof

My 7x50 Bushnell somewhat-cheap binos that were supposed to be "waterproof" are evidently not, as I found out after a small swim in the bilge. One "monocular" has water in it the other stayed dry. It's not a small amount as in fog, but it's not a swimming pool either.

Thoughts, or am I screwed here? Should've splurged for the Nikons but then I figured I would have dropped them overboard.

Default Re: Waterproof binoculars not waterproof

I guess you could try to dry them out, and then keep them out of the bilge. A very low oven?

I'd call the manufacturer and ask if waterproof means waterproof.

Are they nitrogen filled? If not, I believe you can open them up to dry them out and then reassemble.
    -Dave

Before disassembling anything check with Bushnell. I was a dealer and they have several different warranty programs for different products - some are a year or two, but some can be good for 20-30 years. They are usually void though if you have taken the product apart or seriously messed with it, so find out where you stand first. If still covered, they will likely repair or replace them.

What Todd said. I've had pretty good luck returning stuff for repair or replacement...even if you don't have the receipt.

Bushnell sold me a new pair at a deep discount after I returned an older pair that had misaligned prisms and that were not worth repairing.

the warranty sounds like the best option.

But, if that won't work in the oven on as low as you can set it. I've used this method to save both optical and electronic devices.

with electronics make sure the battery is removed first.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Be vary wary of the term 'waterproof' ...it hasn't even been allowed as a description in many consumer goods áreas for decades. The tests applied by the makers, be they cheapo Casio, or not so cheapo Rolexo never replicate uncontrollable usage. That is , staying with watches where the term waterproof has had most issues, you can have for instance a Breitling 5000 metre proof diver's watch that will be compromised by a low speed waterski crash or a high dive. Watchmakers haven't been allowed to use 'waterproof' since 1950s at a guess
    There used to be a shoe shop on Picadilly thet had in its window display a shoe bobbing up and down in a tank of aerated water for ever. Buy the shoes and walk through heavy rain wet streets and sooner or later they will leak,
    I have had any number of 'waterproof' sailing suits, motorcycle gear, walking and hiking kit, goretex this that and the other... nothing is waterproof except a plastic head to toe bag with a neck hole gaffa taped around yer throat. Its not going to happen.

So bottom line is, the only term acceptable is 'water resistant' and enshrined in consumer rights laws. Watches binoculars cameras, clothing....Water Resistant. any other description is probably illegal.
    When you come to a fork in the road , take it.

Smarter than the average bear, Booboo

Bushnell has wonderful customer service. Over the years they have repaired or replaced several pairs of binos for us for little or no money, long after any warranty would have expired. I believe, their better models now have a lifetime warranty.

I recently dropped and broke one of the big name monoculars which I had bonded with it's various features and quality over decades. I viewed replacements on Amazon and saw a split between super expensive old brands and super cheap no-names. I ordered a well rated cheapo with free shipping for hardly more than you would pay simply to mail your broken legacy binocs back for repair. It was wonderful with it's own special features like a lanyard and compactness - the clarity of view even seemed to be better. I should buy several not only as backups but to cover gradations of powers and lens sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy View Post
    So bottom line is, the only term acceptable is 'water resistant' and enshrined in consumer rights laws. Watches binoculars cameras, clothing....Water Resistant. any other description is probably illegal.
    Not a universal fact; I can google waterproof binoculars and most major names pop up with those claims. Those in the Jean-Claude Juncker dictatorship often praise their strict consumer protections but that is basically a mandated insurance scheme that costs you in terms of money and limited choice. Insurance of any kind tends to be illogical for small manageable amounts because of high overhead - e.g. the "extended warrantee" scam is kind of a tax on the dumb according to Consumer Reports. Insurance is less needed for accountability in the age of mass online product ratings.
    Last edited by rudderless; 11-15-2017 at 12:42 PM.

Oven drying something like a pair of binoculars might remove the water, but will leave behind salts and other contaminants.

Jeff

Put them somewhere warm in a plastic bag with a dessicant (silica gel, rice, pasta) & wait?

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Arrgghhh... ware a patch overrrr the aye that's e-fected!

Couldn't resist.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

It depends. Was the bilgewater involved salt or sweet???

Salt.

I will call Bushnell and see what they say. I figured unless I register a device with the manufacturing company and have a claim within a tight specificed time-frame or specifically shop at a place with a great return policy I am SOL on warrantees. Maybe I'm too cynical. I shall update here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by callsign222 View Post
    Salt.

I will call Bushnell and see what they say. I figured unless I register a device with the manufacturing company and have a claim within a tight specificed time-frame or specifically shop at a place with a great return policy I am SOL on warrantees. Maybe I'm too cynical. I shall update here soon.

Consumer protection laws have been tampered with in recent times, but my understanding has always been that one does not have to register a product with a company in order to validate a warranty. Quite the opposite. Time limits may have passed in your case, which is another matter.

Jeff