Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 things

Default 3 things

It has been said that there are three things not to discuss in polite company, politics, religion, and money. In today’s highly charged world we tend to forget that and if like me you are highly opinionated and yours is quite different from the ones held by your peers and friends it can most certainly lead to conflict and/or strained friendships. With the age of social media not only is there a venue for a more public view of your stance, but it can also enhance the tension.

Just puttin’ it out there.

Chad
    There are three ways to do things: The right way, the wrong way and my way.

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Default Re: 3 things

Quote Originally Posted by cs View Post
    It has been said that there are three things not to discuss in polite company, politics, religion, and money. In today’s highly charged world we tend to forget that and if like me you are highly opinionated and yours is quite different from the ones held by your peers and friends it can most certainly lead to conflict and/or strained friendships. With the age of social media not only is there a venue for a more public view of your stance, but it can also enhance the tension.

Chad

Erm,

1. in polite company - 'The Bilge' LOL

2. politics - there would hardly be any threads this year

3. religion - In general, or any particular one?

4. money - see #2
    Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

4 things. Add sex.

In my dating days, I would try to talk about all four on the first date. If a woman survived that onslaught, she was worth at least a second date.

Down here those are pub rules .
    '' You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know. ''
    Grateful Dead

In my case those are the things I like to discuss.

With my closest friends I can dive right in and discuss anything. If they are not into discussing the subject, they tell me so, which is different from disagreeing with my point of view.
    With others I am aware there are no-go areas, which imposes a kind of self-censorship on me, and leaves me feeling that there is a little something lacking in the relationship.
    True friends can agree to disagree, and then get on with whatever stuff we have in common.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

I think there are polite and respectful ways to discuss those things, although I'd hold off on talking sex on the first date.

Chad
    still happy with your vote for trump?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I wonder how the guys on the International Space Station handle it?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    I'm tickled pink with the vote. Overall he's doing a pretty good job of making liberal heads explode on a daily basis.He hasn't destroyed the country let alone the world as we were told and we have a damn fine judge sitting on the high court.

At first I was hoping that he would stop tweeting but now I think it's bigly.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I am surrounding myself with progressive loved ones this Thanksgiving. Polite company.
    Gonna talk about all those things.
    Folks who committed the hate crime of voting for Trump will not be present. Impolite company.

Quote Originally Posted by delecta View Post
    At first I was hoping that he would stop tweeting but now I think it's bigly.
    lol

Just something that is"said" does not make it worthy of believing.
    I find it improper for people who comment about economic issues to not report their income and wealth.

But then one's position is also helpful to understand one's political an religious views.
    Life is complex.

My cardinal rule in business ( izzat polite company? ) was never to talk religion or politics.

Now that I am retired and have enough ' go to hell money ', it's more like un-cardinal. I hear some idjit spouting hateful political or religious nonsense, I am going off on them. Enough.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Media realized a long time ago that shock sells. What can they shock the rubes with regularly? Putting subjects that "aren't talked about in polite company" right up front in the rube's faces. So what are the top media topics? Politics, religion, and money. Oh, and sex- lots of sex. After a while, the rubes began to realize that if they wanted notoriety and attention in their own lives, they could get it easily by bringing these topics into their own conversations. Further on, after everybody became blasé about the topics, it became sort of an arms war to see who could be the most outrageous in their presentations of these subjects. Which brings us to today, when the most outrageous, uncouth, and shameless of correspondents - both media and the common Joe - are the ones whom are lionized as 'someone who tells it like it is'. Polite society - why the hell would we want that when we can have full-time salaciousness and controversy?

I think that is called 'dumbing down the dialogue'.
    Last edited by mmd; 11-15-2017 at 08:14 AM.
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Now Paul I know you posted this just to get a rise out of me, and yeah I gotta admit when I read it last night I found it very annoying because you know who I voted for and you know I"m proud of my vote for Gary Johnson.

There is one word I hold close, I try to live my life by that one word, integrity. Integrity, knowing the difference between right and wrong and the courage to do what is right. In my heart I felt, and still do, that neither Clinton and Trump were the right choice for the job. I believe and still believe that both of them would be poisonous to our country. When faced with two wrongs the only right choice is not the lesser but rather a third choice. That is the only choice my integrity allows.

Now I'm gong to say this knowing full well that many don't agree with me and it will make some mad. I strongly believe that those who voted for either Clinton or Trump not because they believed in them but rather because they were afraid of the other one, these people lack the integrity, the moral courage to do what is right. I believe that this is a major fallacy found at the core of us and our system. The only way to make a change is to be the change, to have the courage to stand up for what you believe is right.

For those that say I didn't vote for him only because he didn't stand a chance at winning, therein lies the problem, a self fulfilling prophecy if you will. If you want change than you as individuals must have the courage to do what you think it right, anything less will not do.

I believe in what I did and would do it again. I have had too many of my friend and peers distance themselves from me because of my believes and opinions. I ask that you don't bring that BS to the table knowing full well my beliefs

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Now I'm gong to say this knowing full well that many don't agree with me and it will make some mad.
    I certainly didn't agree with you... but it didn't make me 'mad', whatsoever. I just simply disagreed.

I strongly believe that those who voted for either Clinton or Trump not because they believed in them but rather because they were afraid of the other one, these people lack the integrity, the moral courage to do what is right.
    Now THAT makes me mad... hopping, snarling mad!

You have no right to impugn the integrity of those who didn't vote like you, or disagreed with your rationalization. Maybe your vote for Gary Johnson blew a little sunshine up your skirt, and made you feel good, somehow... but in the end, we have Trump as President. Integrity? It's meaningless, compared to the consequences of this election. You might ask the people who lose their health insurance whether it was a worthwhile price to pay for 'integrity'. Your vote for Johnson is NOT an indication of 'courage'.... not by a long shot. It's an indication of political opinion, and nothing more.

If you want change than you as individuals must have the courage to do what you think it right, anything less will not do.
    Nothing wrong with that... but my vote for Hillary Clinton has NOTHING to do with me personal integrity. You should retract that accusation.
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    You have no right to impugn the integrity of those who didn't vote like you, or disagreed with your rationalization.
    you do it all the time to trump voters

you do it all the time to trump voters
    Sure, but not about their vote... only about their beliefs
    "Fact is that which enough people believe. Truth is determined by how fervently they believe it."
    --- Charles Pierce

Nice poke at the tiger thru the cage, Chad. You woke one of 'em up.

Norman, do you so readily identify with those who voted for Hillary out of fear of Trump that you are grossly insulted by Chad's opinion, or did you misread his identification of that block of voters and put yourself in that demographic by mistake?

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    Norman, do you so readily identify with those who voted for Hillary out of fear of Trump...
    There was something WRONG with that, somehow? You'll have to explain....

Quote Originally Posted by mmd View Post
    ....that you are grossly insulted by Chad's opinion, or did you misread his identification of that block of voters and put yourself in that demographic by mistake?
    I wasn't 'insulted' by Chad's opinion... if you're referring to his rationale for voting for Johnson. We ALL have the right to vote for whoever we want. I certainly disagreed with his rationale... but that isn't what I feel was an insult.

The 'insult' (and not really a major one... but one worth talking about) was his accusation that anyone who voted for Hillary in order to attempt to block Trump, lacked 'integrity'. THAT is a pretty low blow, and completely unjustified.
    --- Charles Pierce

^... in your opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Norman Bernstein View Post
    There was something WRONG with that, somehow? You'll have to explain....

I wasn't 'insulted' by Chad's opinion... if you're referring to his rationale for voting for Johnson. We ALL have the right to vote for whoever we want. I certainly disagreed with his rationale... but that isn't what I feel was an insult.

The 'insult' (and not really a major one... but one worth talking about) was his accusation that anyone who voted for Hillary in order to attempt to block Trump, lacked 'integrity'. THAT is a pretty low blow, and completely unjustified.
    The question is if you vote for someone who has no integrity, do you, the voter have integrity? You can make a legitimate case that neither Hillary nor Don have integrity. Perhaps someone can make the case that Gary Johnson, Jill Stein, and Bernie Sanders lack integrity, but there seems to be less evidence of a problem with that group. I, for one was afraid of both Clinton and Trump. I think both are evil. Trump is proving my fears justified, but I suspect Clinton would have justified my fears, too. My opinion is that I have more in common with and better like people who voted for Johnson or Stein in the general election than people who voted for Clinton or Trump, but I do not ascribe anything evil to the people who voted for a mainstream party candidate.

Chad
    i actively discourage discussion of religion or politics in my office. I’ll let it creep in sometimes if I know my FO is likeminded.
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Re who voted for who, and who didn't bother…………..
    http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...ding-the-store

Have fun there.

I don't usually open those topics of discussion but will gladly jump in, armed with high explosives. The damage caused will generally cause a kind of future DMZ.
    Study Peace

I worked for forty years without discussing my politics even with the people in my office. After 25 years of doing business, one of my best customers, and a good friend, chided me about something or other Bush did. I explained to him that I was saddened when Bush was elected. He then popped the question: "Do you vote a Democratic ticket?" When I confirmed his new suspicions, he said "I had no idea. I pegged you for a Republican for sure." I told him "well Charlie, would it surprise you to learn that I thought you were very conservative too? After all, you're from Oklahoma so I just assumed."
    We both learned something that day.

But as a rule, biz and politics don't mix and never have. It's a fundamental of capitalism.

Chad: for what it's worth, I agree with the OP. Facebook lays everybody bare, like it or not. If I were still in business, I doubt I'd even have a Facebook account. As it is, I don't much care what people think anymore, only what I think. Also in the for what it's worth department, I think FB and the clones and competitors of FB have made the atmosphere more toxic overall.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Norm my intent was not to make anyone rip snorting mad, kinda the way I feel when I'm told my vote was for something other than what it was. I do find it very frustrating when it may be known that we have a problem and yet people are afraid to act on the problem because of a pre-conceived notion that there isn't a snowball chances in hell of making the difference.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Norm my intent was not to make anyone rip snorting mad, kinda the way I feel when I'm told my vote was for something other than what it was. I do find it very frustrating when it may be known that we have a problem and yet people are afraid to act on the problem because of a pre-conceived notion that there isn't a snowball chances in hell of making the difference.
    I can EASILY appreciate the frustration... I honestly can't think of a presidential candidate in past elections who I was totally and unreservedly a fan of (although Barack Obama certainly came damn close).

As a realist and pragmatist, however, I feel that i MUST give way to practical considerations, and value the 'net result' higher than any other consideration. I wasn't that much of a fan of Gary Johnson... but even if I was, and had voted for him, I was well aware that he would NOT be part of the 'net result'. I'm certain that you were aware of that fact, as well.

The election season may seem like it lasts a long time... but even a one term president lasts a great deal longer... and barring an impeachment, resignation, or 25th amendment removal, we are going to have to suffer with this circus clown until January of 2021.... along with the damage he's doing to the institutions of government.

The presumed 'self satisfaction' in voting for a non-competitive candidate is a short term thing... we have to live with the net result for a great deal longer.
    --- Charles Pierce

And to be perfectly honest I felt and still do feel that Clinton would have been just as damaging as Trump but in a different way. I personally knew of a group of extremist that were planning on holding a meeting the day after the election to discuss their "next move" in case Clinton won the election. Even beyond that I believe her character, procedures (her means and methods) are very damaging and dangerous.

In truth I found nothing in either of the primary candidates that was acceptable. I couldn't vote for either one with a clear consensuses.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

And to be perfectly honest I felt and still do feel that Clinton would have been just as damaging as Trump but in a different way.
    Considering Trump's behavior, I find this VERY hard to believe.

I personally knew of a group of extremist that were planning on holding a meeting the day after the election to discuss their "next move" in case Clinton won the election.
    Would you consider people who are currently trying to figure out the 'next move', with regard to Trump, as extremists?

They may well be patriots.
    --- Charles Pierce

I know that the classified e-mail thing has went around and around and many just blow it off as meaningless. Not me though, I take that onerously and see that as a clear and present danger, esp from one as highly placed as she was. So yes I think that she is just as dangerous.

I've seen too many people wrap themselves in the flag and call themselves Patriots so I look at people planning that "next move" under the guise of parasitism with skepticism. Believe it or not I still have faith in our system and any group that means to make a change by show of force raises concerns in my eyes.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

And to be perfectly honest I felt and still do feel that Clinton would have been just as damaging as Trump but in a different way. I personally knew of a group of extremist that were planning on holding a meeting the day after the election to discuss their "next move" in case Clinton won the election. ...
    As you'll agree, though, the extremist group's plans say quite a bit about themselves, not about Clinton. Had she won, she might have been a catalyst.

If Trump is forced to leave office one way or another, it won't be Clinton's fault. And the extremists you mentioned may well be planning their "next move" anyway.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

And yes that is a concern that I have. Politics aside, each of those two represented/represent an extreme divide within the country and in that respect both are harmful. You guys may only see a growing discord with Trump and only see his failings. In my part of the world many still view him as the greatest president of all time and his popularity is riding high.

I find this very worrisome. Not only with the current state of affairs and the potential for future discord. We need someone that really represents what America is about and one that unifies rather than divides.

This is part of the reason I make my stand, it may be as deadly and misconceived as Custer's Last Stand, but here I mark my ground and refuse to follow the flock over the edge.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion

Where we part ways on this, Chad, is the notion that Clinton and Trump each represent some "extreme."

"Extreme Leftist" is the term I have heard again and again. And you know, that's just a crock. Lenin was an "Extreme Leftist." The Shining Path guerillas too. Clinton's as Capitalist as they come. If she were a Brit, she'd be Theresa May - an ineffective, managerial leader of the Conservative party. Who'd be OK as leader, so long as nothing major was going on.

I suppose that Clinton's an "extreme" political insider, and Trump's an "extreme" political outsider ... and frankly, that's a big part of Trump's problem.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Tom I think you may have to admit though that in the big picture, regardless of the truth, she does represent an extreme left, at least in the perception of the other half. And we all know that perception is reality.

Regardless of the actual truth, both are dividers rather than uniters, much more so than any other in recent history.

Over the years I have grown in my understanding of what I perceive and how the world perceives me and my actions. Case in point is the Rebel flag and no we aren't starting a discussion on that, but to many this represents history and in some cases a point of pride. To others it represent an evil past. I can see both sides and while many of my friends and peers choose to wave that flag because of whatever reason and no they aren't waving it because of racism, but maybe more so because they can.

I myself choose to distance myself from that flag because despite what I may or may not think of the flag, it still encourages division rather than unity. I had a rebel flag tattoo and choose to have it covered up with a design based on the Yin Yang. In my mind I choose to represent unity and that tattoo was sending the wrong message and not what I had intended. Perception is reality so it went and now I have a tattoo that to me is a symbol of unity and equality.

Chad

Three Little Birds
    Love is My Religion