Thread: Coup in Zimbabwe?

Default Coup in Zimbabwe?

Real or Fake news?

If real, this should have been done long ago. However I fear that there will now be much more bloodshed.

Enjoy a good rum on the rocks at sunset.

Default Re: Coup in Zimbabwe?

If so it's unlikely to result in much good for the general population or political freedom in general.

What would Bob Marley say?
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

NPR reported the other day that an American woman living in Zimbabwe had been arrested for making derogatory comments about the government on social media. Something we do here by the minute, but this woman is facing very serious charges. Scary, eh?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Mugabe is a seriously dreadful guy. He's 93; I was hoping he'd just quietly die. I really hope whatever comes after won't be worse.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    ... I really hope whatever comes after won't be worse.
    Depends if Washington is behind the coup or not (Sorry, couldn't resist. I hope not too.)
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

The article the RP linked to states that it's because of the sacking of Mugabe's VP, who appeared to be his natural successor. An item on Al Jazeera I caught yesterday said that the sacking was to make room for Mugabe's 52-yo wife as successor. It seems that another potentially 40 years of the same nonsense was too much to bear, just as the country thought it Mugabe was close to the end.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

The tragedy of it is that the native people's there had better lives under Ian Smith.

I have heard first hand stories of some of the slaughter that happened on white owned farms when Mugabe took power. How one man can destroy the breadbasket of Africa is quite the feat. Unfortunately, too many African states suffer the same kind of leadership. Richest continent on the planet with the poorest life.....abused and raped by its own and others since the dawn of time. I cant imagine Grace Mugabe having the loyalty of the armed forces.

Mugabe is an idea of the future whose time passed long ago.

He is one guy that if somebody terminated him with extreme prejudice, I would barely blink.

A benign deity would have removed him naturally from the African scene decades ago.
    Gerard>
    Everett, WA

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-41992351
    The military has taken control in Zimbabwe but said President Robert Mugabe, in power since 1980, was safe.
    After seizing state TV, an army spokesman announced it was targeting people close to Mr Mugabe.
    South Africa's President Jacob Zuma later said he had spoken to Mr Mugabe who had indicated that he "was confined to his home but said that he was fine".
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Small coup; not many dead.

Seems to be a power struggle within Zanu PF between the "old freedom fighters" (pretty nasty people) and the wife's faction (pretty nasty people).

Shame, as it is in many respects a country with a law abiding and well educated population.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

BBC reports that Mr Mugabe is under house arrest.

Quote Originally Posted by Rum_Pirate View Post
    Couldn't happen to a 'nicer' guy.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Am I on ignore?
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

^ Did I just hear a barely audible voice from faraway over the sea? <grin>
    Hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

Much amusement amongst my friends in the chattering classes in the Philippines over the Army moving in to reinstate a sacked Vice-President, because in Manila Duterte has been talking about starting a "revolutionary Government" and the heads of the Armed Forces publicly assured the Vice-President (in the Philippines, the VP is usually from a different party, as is the case now) that they would stay loyal to the Constitution.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Think that the army is going to tell Mugabe to retire and they will let he and his dreadful, not to mention very unpopular wife, go quietly. Reason is: the federation of African states will not recognise a take over by force (bit too close to home for many of them) so this will be 'by agreement'. If it was a bloody coup, they might feel forced to intervene.
    The firing of the influential vice president, with the probability of Mrs Mugabe taking his place on the way to taking over from Robert was a bit too much for many.
    Interestingly, the 'Presidential Guard' of ruthless and violent, N. Korean trained soldiers, did not lift a finger. So obviously were got on side before the move.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    Think that the army is going to tell Mugabe to retire and they will let he and his dreadful, not to mention very unpopular wife, go quietly. Reason is: the federation of African states will not recognise a take over by force (bit too close to home for many of them) so this will be 'by agreement'. If it was a bloody coup, they might feel forced to intervene.
    The firing of the influential vice president, with the probability of Mrs Mugabe taking his place on the way to taking over from Robert was a bit too much for many.
    Interestingly, the 'Presidential Guard' of ruthless and violent, N. Korean trained soldiers, did not lift a finger. So obviously were got on side before the move.
    "the federation of African states will not recognise a take over by force"

Erm, didn't Mr Mugabe's ZANU get rid of the Ian Smith Government by force and violence?

Does the Federation of African States condone that?

Hmm, I guess that '
    force and violence' action does not count.

"the federation of African states will not recognise a take over by force" Erm, didn't Mr Mugabe's ZANU get rid of the Ian Smith Government by force and violence? Does the Federation of African States condone that? Hmm, I guess that 'force and violence' action does not count.
    I believe you're talking about the African Union, established in 2002, twenty years after Mugabe took power. It was the successor to the Organisation of African Unity. The white government in Rhodesia ended in 1980, partly by war, partly by negotiation. One of the goals of the OAU was the eradication of colonial rule and white-minority on the continent; and Smith's Rhodesia was definitely a successor to the colonial government, started by whites who didn't want to return rule to the African majority. Mugabe's government has been quite disastrous, but defending Ian Smith? Nah.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

I believe you're talking about the African Union, established in 2002, twenty years after Mugabe took power. It was the successor to the Organisation of African Unity. The white government in Rhodesia ended in 1980, partly by war, partly by negotiation. One of the goals of the OAU was the eradication of colonial rule and white-minority on the continent; and Smith's Rhodesia was definitely a successor to the colonial government, started by whites who didn't want to return rule to the African majority. Mugabe's government has been quite disastrous, but defending Ian Smith? Nah.

I was replying to post#18, re that posters use of Federation of African States - will not recognise a take over by force.

I agree that Mugabe's government has been quite disastrous for Zimbabwe - which is a tremendous understatement, say the least.

This article, by a respected black SA journalist, says some depressing things about African's inability to form a western-style democracy.

https://www.biznews.com/africa/2016/...rican-country/

I was kind of thinking you need a legit government before you can have a coup, yeah?

I mean, legit, like above the board. Mr. M has been running roughshod over that country for a minute, and things don’t seem to be improving for the average citizen there, much.

Time for some progress.

Peace,
    Robert

Federation of African States
    What's that? AFAIK, it doesn't exist.

You don't have to have a legitimate government to have a coup, just a government.

Richard Feynman

What's that? AFAIK, it doesn't exist.

You don't have to have a legitimate government to have a coup, just a government.

Peace,
    Robert

In the history of takeovers in that part of Africa since say 1800 (read Shaka and Dingane) this is just another blip, and so far a much less violent one.