Thread: Chesapeake trailer builders?

Default Chesapeake trailer builders?

My wife and I recently bought a 27' Elco, built in 1930. Of course the hull is all wood, but was glassed below the waterline sometime in the past. Can anyone recommend a trailer supplier/builder in range of the Chesapeake who understands the needs of wooden hulls? The Elco weights about 8,000 pounds.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

R

Default Re: Chesapeake trailer builders?

Quote Originally Posted by grubenr View Post
    My wife and I recently bought a 27' Elco, built in 1930. Of course the hull is all wood, but was glassed below the waterline sometime in the past. Can anyone recommend a trailer supplier/builder in range of the Chesapeake who understands the needs of wooden hulls? The Elco weights about 8,000 pounds.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

R
    Is this by chance the one that was converted to electric?
    Ratus ratus bilgeous snipeous!

You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    Mahatma Gandhi

That's the one.

A beautiful little boat, its a shame the previous owner would not listen to good advise that was offered her. You will probably need to take a standard trailer and build bunks to adapt it to your hull form.

Mahatma Gandhi

I stopped by an saw her last summer. I wish you he best of luck with her. Do you intend to try and salvage the electric drive? Had the Perkins diesel removed for the electric conversion been installed properly she would have preformed well. The previous owner also seemed to be pretty well um, hosed by an Annapolis yard I will not name.

Mahatma Gandhi

an elco converted to electric
    kind of ironic, no?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Looks like the listing hasn't been taken down yet:

http://www.dimillosyachtsales.com/bo...arinette/2351/

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    an elco converted to electric
    kind of ironic, no?
    And Joan made a terrible mistake when she did it. Elco (the current company) never could get even close to adequate performance from the electric conversion.

Mahatma Gandhi

We plan to keep the electric drive. We have done a few things to optimize, but the support at Elco is great and the system seems to work well. The range has been adequate for most of what we want to do (i.e., cruising along our side of the bay on the Northern Neck, mostly). I've looked at options for extending the range. After several conversations with an engineer at Elco and with the guys who made the battery charger, we bought a portable 3kW Honda RV generator that we can use to recharge the batteries while underway. Haven't tried it yet, but if we keep the draw below 40A (which gets us 4 to 5 kts), I think we could boost range by around 50%. We may give it a try next spring, but so far, we have been able to get where we've wanted to go on batteries alone. I've also talked to genset makers about a true hybrid system, and found a couple who could provide a diesel 72V DC generator that would fit in the lazarette. But it would not be cheap or trivial. And I'm not sure I need it, at least not yet.

I read the posts by the PO on this and other forums and looked through all the invoices before we closed the deal. It appeared to me that the yard took a pretty ruthless approach. We are retired and have the time to do more of the work ourselves, and when we do need help, the hourly rate down here is a little gentler. Not that you can't get screwed just about anywhere, but we have found a few folks down here whom we trust, and it makes all the difference. I do appreciate how the PO went all-in to resurrect this boat.
    Last edited by grubenr; 11-14-2017 at 06:11 PM.

I wish you all the best.

Mahatma Gandhi

That's a gorgeous boat. Glad to see it's going to continue to get good care. As far as the trailer goes, if it's just to haul for the winter, why not pay a professional to move it for you? Not expensive if not going far, and it can save a lot of headaches.
    -Dave

There is a good size Aluminium triple axle trailer sitting in Burgess in front of the new to be 360 grill next to the boat manufacturing place on Rt 360 in the direction of Reedville. I don't know if it is for sale.

Is this the Elco that was at the RFM boat show in September. A very handsome boat. I like the concept of an electric drive.

Egbert

Quote Originally Posted by ejds View Post
    There is a good size Aluminium triple axle trailer sitting in Burgess in front of the new to be 360 grill next to the boat manufacturing place on Rt 360 in the direction of Reedville. I don't know if it is for sale.

Is this the Elco that was at the RFM boat show in September. A very handsome boat. I like the concept of an electric drive.

Egbert
    Thanks for the tip. I am housebound right now, due to a motorcycle accident, but I'll check it out once I'm mobile again. And yes, we were at the RFM show, docked next to the gorgeous 1948 ChrisCraft Sportsman owned by the woodyboater.com guy. We live on Dividing Creek, so Reedville is an easy day cruise when the weather is good.