Thread: Final decision on Haven 12 planking

Default Final decision on Haven 12 planking

Friends,
    Im building Joel Whites Haven 12 . It will live on a trailer. Ive explored many processes and material and come up with the following:
    mahogany strips 2 inch wide attached to steam bent oak frames.
    Strips will be milled, bead and cove glued with titebond and attached with bronze screws one per frame.
    After fairing, apply penetrating epoxy then 6ounce cloth and resin.
    hopefully this will yeald a light and strong hull.
    Obviously Im looking for your input as to my plan as this is my first build.
    Dont beat me up too much...
    Thanks for sharing any thoughts,
    Craig

Default Re: Final decision on Haven 12 planking

Nice design! And welcome to the forum!

Do you plan to paint or varnish the hull?

If you plan to paint the hull I would recommend square WRC strips and epoxy. If varnish, I would first strip the hull and then cold mould a fore and aft layer of mahogny.

I suspect that 2' strips may be too wide for the shape of the hull.

Why penetrating epoxy? With cloth and epoxy sheathing penetrating epoxy will just add weight.

/Fredrik

I like the sound of it. I don't have the engineering skill to determine if those scantlings are correct but it feels right. Mostly. I have grown over the years less enamored of glass skin as I don't really see it as structurally helpful. Were this my project, I'd at least look at doing without the glass.

I very much second soaking the hull with CPES. It's not only a great primer; it's volitile solvents are a super anti-rot protection.

If your finish work is up to it and if you will protect the hull from sun and weather when it's on the trailor, a clear coat with UV and compatable with epoxy certainly would be pretty. But, assuming you varnish the spars, coamings, seats, and such, you really will have enough varnish to show off your yachty style without the sometimes ostentatious look of finishing the hull bright. It's a shape that really rewards a high gloss white topsides and even though you'll be drysailing and thus won't really want bottom paint, an attractive dark green or deep red on the bottom will look well.

G'luck

Thanks guys for your insight. I do like the paint vs varnish idea. As suggested, varnished hull might be too ostentatious. Good for a canoe or kayak maybe. I’m building a small test hull and will try various iteration then strength test them.
    should be fun..

I would advise that you do more research. It appears you are trying to apply cold molded planking techniques to a carvel framed design. Not a good idea, IMHO. The Heaven designs sold by Wooded Boat are carvel.
    I'm sure it has been built cold molded. Try this...http://www.havenbuilder.com/index.php

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Be carefull that you do not over screw her .
    There may be a "pattern" you can use rather than "one screw every plank". This might set up the dreaded "tear along the perforated line" thingy.
    By "pattern" , I mean for example...every second plank on every third frame. Or something like that.
    Also, Will the glass be adding much strength being on the outside only? Dynel may be better if all you seek is waterproofness.

1/2" thickness is right on, but the 2" width planks are going to be the devil to bend around the forms without shaping them like regular planking. I'd go with 1" wide max. This is coming from a guy who built a similar shaped 20' hull.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.

The subject of whether to build a Haven 12-1/2 in traditional plank on frame construction or something that's more tolerant of drying out has been soundly thrashed here for many years. Use the search thingy or Google.

If your boat is to be dry-sailed, I'd fear that your plan of unsheathed tight planking might expand too much to stay attached to frames for long.

I'd consider cold molding or fully sheathed strip composite or even glued lapstrake, namely John Brooks' Somes Sound 12-1/2.
    Last edited by JimConlin; 11-15-2017 at 07:26 PM.