Thread: Centerboard case depth ?

Default Centerboard case depth ?

The plans for my small catboat call for the CB case with side logs to be layed flush on the 6 mm hull. Then apply another 6 mm to the bottom once the hull is flipped. I've read about extending the case down through the hull but that included a keelson which I don't have.

Is it worth it to bring the case down flush with the bottom of the first panel, and then cover the case end grain with the second hull panel?

I plan on epoxy glue and fillets to join so no worries about removal down the road. Thanks!

Default Re: Centerboard case depth ?

Glue and fillet properly and it won't matter. Were it me, I'd consider a few screws as well, to be left in.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Yea I agree with Jim D. Won't matter,epoxy don't care.

Sometimes, leaving end of plywood exposed(I do not mean un sealed),can work to your benefit. Similar to the theory of a varnished mast shows problems otherwise hidden.
    What boat is this that adds a quarter inch of ply to a quarter inch of ply? Sounds like a real pita.

It's the Petrel 13 catboat by Paul Fisher. I asked about it and he said the 2nd ply isn't absolutely necessary but this boat will live on the trailer so I'm ok with a stiffer bottom. Unless 1/4 " is enough as it is. I'm using a decent ply Meranti.

1/4" bottom can flex quite a bit when you're standing on it. It could feel a bit flimsy. I'd put the extra layer of ply on the bottom. Nice looking design, by the way. I've built one of Paul's dinghies. It went together well.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.