Thread: 8,000-Year-Old Pottery Shards Reveal Traces of The World's Oldest Wine

Default 8,000-Year-Old Pottery Shards Reveal Traces of The World's Oldest Wine

/*/* Goblet hoisted in gratitude to the winemakers.

I often wonder what the Vintners buy
    One half so precious as the Goods they sell.

~~~~~ Omar Khayyam ~~~~~
    */*/

8,000-Year-Old Pottery Shards Reveal Traces of The World's Oldest Wine (ARTICLE LINK)

Excerpt
    Evidence of the world's oldest known winemaking has been uncovered in the nation of Georgia, with a chemical analysis of Stone Age pottery jars fingerprinting an ancient drop going back some 8,000 years.

They say wine improves with age, and if that's true, the discovery is truly sublime – and pushes back the world's earliest evidence of modern-style viticulture by up to 1,000 years, trumping earlier finds in the Zagros Mountains of Iran dating to around 5400–5000 BCE.

The discovery, made by researchers from the University of Toronto in Canada and the Georgian National Museum, is also a fitting one.

Georgia, which has a long heritage of winemaking, is positioned at a crossroads between Western Asia and Eastern Europe, and the grape identified in jar fragments excavated from two Neolithic-era villages is Vitis vinifera –aka the 'Eurasian grapevine', from which nearly all kinds of modern wine originate.
    #include [std-disclaimer]

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Default Re: 8,000-Year-Old Pottery Shards Reveal Traces of The World's Oldest Wine

mmmmmmm 8,000 year old wine.

Default Re: 8,000-Year-Old Pottery Shards Reveal Traces of The World's Oldest Wine

You scooped me, Sharpie, I was about to post the same thing. Let's lift a glass to our prehistoric colleagues.

I used to make wine regularly but not lately. However the other day I was cleaning up in the cellar and found a couple of cases of wine that's been aging for about ten years--advanced age in wine isn't always a mark of quality, but I'll open one this evening, and will report on it here.

Think they'll ever find an 8,000 year old bong, or some roaches?
    Nosce te ipsum

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post

This is an amazing fossil amber ecosystem containing more than 70 insects and two spiders. There are two principle inclusions, a huge mantis-looking cockroach measuring 16 mm in length, and a rare mosquito
    Pleistocene to Pliocene Fossil Amber Ecosystem (LINK)

Hope the voyage is a long one.
    May there be many a summer morning when,
    with what pleasure, what joy,
    you come into harbors seen for the first time...

Ithaka, by Cavafy
    (Keeley - Sherrard translation)

Quote Originally Posted by AlanMc View Post
    mmmmmmm 8,000 year old wine.
    I understand that it's very dry.

What's so funny about peace love & understanding?

Frank! would call false as the world is only 6,000 years old
    My take is that if you poke someone with a sharp stick they'll get annoyed, if you smile and shake their hand they will be your friends.

John Welsford

Quote Originally Posted by Old Dryfoot View Post
    Ötzi the Iceman, the mummified 5,300-year-old corpse found on the mountain border between Austria and Italy was carrying a bag of cannabis and nearly two pounds of still-green potent canabis was found in a 2,700-year-old grave in the Gobi Desert.
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28034925/n.../#.Wgtnl4Wm1Og
    If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question

I mentioned elsewhere that I used to make wine, and that I'd recently found a case lot of ten year old of my wine. I said that I'd taste it this evening, and call the ambulance corps if it was as bad as I expected.
    Wh'd you know...I did taste it, and as home made wines go, it wasn't too bad. It lacks body, but is smooth and mellow.
    Haven't any idea what grapes I used on this batch. Probably a mixture including table grapes and my own Marechal Foch,